Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
I'll answer this post here and copy it to TaurusArmed.

The 24/7 & Millennium Pro's are notorious for shooting low with the Heinie sights. I replaced my PT145 from sight with a shorter HiViz fiber optic to raise the sights and it worked great.

However, my experience has been that of your wife and most other PT1911 shooters. Taurus dovetailed the rear Heinie sight down into the slide (which raises the POI) and at 7-10 yards it is dead on.

Surely a 1911 guru will respond to this from the mechanical view (if they sully themselves by reading these "trashy Taurus" posts (did I say that out loud?)

I know that several 24/7 & Millennium Pro shooters have resolved the Heinie problem by practice and modifying their grip. I couldn't but at 60 it's hard to teach old dogs new tricks! Good luck... if this doesn't work out, you might try looking at the Wilson Combat Sights... less than $40 for the 3 dot sights and many have commented on how that helped. Check out the TaurusArmed Smithing section.

·
32,790 Posts
I don't know it this will help or not. When I use any dot painted sights, a standard sight picture ignoring the dots is what is done. Hand grip changes with thumbs locked up down or stright out might help.

There is the crush grip approach. Grip the gun as tightly as possible without causing pain, shaking, or moving. Just a solid good grip.This does away with manu of the problems associatted with this.

Having a mentor or knowledgeable person standing and watching your grip and stance while shooting would also be recommended. Credible criticism, correction if necessary, and feedback would be of immense value.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies! I don't think my grip is an issue, or trigger control. I can pick up my EAA Witness and run mags through it with no issue, same with the missus PT1911, but mine seems to have this issue (real or percieved) with the barrel not parallel to the slide.
To be able to hit with my gun, my sight picture involves half the height of the front sight extending above the notch of the rear sight. I have no issues with dead on hold or 6 o'clock hold, but 12 o'clock hold is a little crazy, y'know?

Cimarron don't get me wrong though, if I didn't love this gun it would be gone by now. Even with what i have done to it I'm still over $100 less than a Kimber.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Sounds like a problem I had with my M&P9. It shot low and left and got progressively lower and lefter with increasing distance. Spent 1500 rounds trying to fix the shooter until I solved the problem by having S&W fix the pistol. Have you done anything to your PT1911 that would affect shooting parts? I ask this because it appears that you have done some mods to yours if you are approaching the price of a Kimber.

If I had two PT1911's, I'd mark the parts on one or both, visually compare the parts of the two pistols and then start swapping parts to see if there is something that fixes the problem in yours or creates the problem in the other.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Mine hits where the dot is. i got used to it and even shoot faster with it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply greener. All the add ons i've done to mine are just to help the shooter, not the gun. By that I mean extended slide release, grips, mag well/ MSH. The rest of the items I'm counting as price comp to Kimber are my holster, duty belt, and mag pouches.

I'm coming to the conclusion (with help from a few knowledgeable friends) that it's the radial lugs on the barrel and how the barell was fitted. Changing anything to try to alter alignment of barrel will change how well the gun locks up into battery, and as well as it locks up any change with this barrel will just be detrimental. I'll just put a sight blank on the front, cut to needed elevation, and live with the situation till I get another barrel with taller radial lugs and have it fitted.

P.S.- thought about swapping parts with the missus', but got caught. She jokingly said she has her gun's serial memorized, and if the numbers don't match at the next shoot she knew a parts pirate that would lose another leg!
Actualy I'm glad her's is flawless, she's just getting into the whole shooting thing and I'd hate for anything to detract from her interest in it. Besides, I'm an eternal tinkerer, so even if my gun WAS flawless, I'd still be doing something to it on a regular basis.................

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
The fiber optic route for the front sight was fantastic for my PT145... it is a larger sight so for quick sight acquisition, it is great... for fine detail shooting the front sight would probably cover the target.

I've seen guys use the EGW fiber optic front. Those are .330 dovetail and the Taurus is a .300, so you will have to removed some material (with a dremel if you are very careful).

As to the front sight height. The Heinie is .200. I chose a .150 front to bring the point of impact up to the point of aim.

If the gun is accurate (grouping is tight) then the cheapest option would be the front sight replacement. Put a fiber optic on it and your wife will probably want to trade you out... they really do make a difference in picking up the front sight! You may have to swap her's out also. They do make a .200 height for her gun so it shouldn't change anything.

·
Registered
162 Posts
thought about swapping parts with the missus', but got caught. She jokingly said she has her gun's serial memorized, and if the numbers don't match at the next shoot she knew a parts pirate that would lose another leg!
Actualy I'm glad her's is flawless, she's just getting into the whole shooting thing and I'd hate for anything to detract from her interest in it. Besides, I'm an eternal tinkerer, so even if my gun WAS flawless, I'd still be doing something to it on a regular basis.................
Takes a brave man to cross the little woman and a braver man to cross one armed with a .45. Said something about giving my son my dad's M&P .38 Special and SWMBO said that decision would be make by my executrix. Figured she like the pistol and didn't want to find out when she wanted to make the decision.

Sounds like a new front sight is on the right track.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.