Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new to handguns. I bought myself a taurus 709 took it to the range for the first time today. My front sight was turned to the left a little dont know if anybody elses is like that so I unscrewed the sight and made it straight. Starting shooting and kept shooting low right and made some chances to the sight and got off a couple arounds before my front sight came off. Does anyody know why it would be shooting low right? and what would be a good sight to replace it with?

·
Registered
29,918 Posts
Have a couple of experienced shooters shoot it from a bench rest.

If it shoots low and right for them, then consider sight adjustments.

Since you'r new to the sport, it's more likely that you're missing the basic of squeezing the trigger straight to the rear while maintaining proper sight alignment and sight picture.

Too much finger on the trigger will cause one to "pull" their shots low and right, as will "jerking" the trigger verses proper trigger squeeze.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THanks for the info and the pictures. I found on you tube last where a guy used a tru glo shotgun sight for his front sight would this be a good idea or not?

·
Registered
36,474 Posts
Im new to handguns. I bought myself a taurus 709 took it to the range for the first time today. My front sight was turned to the left a little dont know if anybody elses is like that so I unscrewed the sight and made it straight. Starting shooting and kept shooting low right and made some chances to the sight and got off a couple arounds before my front sight came off. Does anyody know why it would be shooting low right? and what would be a good sight to replace it with?
ahh, ??
left handed are you???
the original Taurus sight would likely be best, call Taurus and tell them what happened and they will likely send you one.
See if this chart helps you, print it out take it to the range and diagnose the probelms, Note that this is for a rght hander, so if you are indeed left handed simply flip the chart as to problems.

Attachments

Reactions: Wino

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Have a couple of experienced shooters shoot it from a bench rest.

If it shoots low and right for them, then consider sight adjustments.

Since you'r new to the sport, it's more likely that you're missing the basic of squeezing the trigger straight to the rear while maintaining proper sight alignment and sight picture.

Too much finger on the trigger will cause one to "pull" their shots low and right, as will "jerking" the trigger verses proper trigger squeeze.
What Moondawg said. Here's a little exercise for you. Get a plastic water bottle such as a Disani or whatever. Not a soda bottle - the plastic is too thick. Now, empty the bottle, leave the lid off, and hold it like you would your gun. Your trigger finger should be just below the shoulder of the bottle. Holding the bottle very lightly, as though it were the grips of a gun, with the tip of your finger, pull back as though you were squeezing a trigger until the bottle "pops." You should do this without incrreasing the tension between your three non-trigger fingers and the palm and thumb of your hand. Practice this. This is one of the best exercises for trigger control I've ever used. Also, when in a firing situation, if you are not doing double taps or rapid fire, when the gun goes "bang," count to two before releasing the trigger. Get accustomed to follow-through. It's as important in shooting as it is in golf or baseball. Try those two exercises once you've gotten your sight fixed. Don't worry about hitting the bull. Make sure you have a good group first, then you can adjust the sights to compensate and bring the groups into the bull.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts