Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read that shooting low and left may be caused by too much finger on the trigger. Can anyone else elaborate on this? I got my PT740 a few months ago and have put about 250-300 rounds down range and, no matter what, its hitting low and left at 7 yards. I spent an hour at the range one day just trying to dial in the sights but I didn't seem to help at all. This is my first subcompact concealed carry firearm so i'm new to the fundamentals but I have no problem getting a tight shot grouping center mass with my glock23...Any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
Ok, you're right it's too much finger in most instances. You don't want the trigger placed in the nook of the first joint this will cause you to pull low and left. You want to use the pad of your finger between the tip and the first joint.

·
Registered
21,120 Posts

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Often caused by anticipation, practice squeezing the trigger. Try squeezing the trigger from a rest and see if its you or the gun.

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
Often caused by anticipation, practice squeezing the trigger. Try squeezing the trigger from a rest and see if its you or the gun.
Use some dummy rounds and mix them in with live rounds at the range; also a good way to see if you're flinching.

·
Registered
29,877 Posts
Try getting some snap caps and practice at home. Watch if the front sight dips to the left when you pull the trigger.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Good info here - I recommend doing the bench rest thing foremost, just to see where the POI is when lining up the sights.
The "pad of the finger only" rule is most valid; I had some low/left issues until I consciously addressed that as well.

Reactions: Wino

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Once again the wisdom of experienced shooters is helpful not only to the questioner, but to this newbie as well! Thanks to both the asker and those who answered for sage, common-sense advice!

·
Registered
16 Posts
This may sound hokey but I read this tip somewhere posted by an ex-military sharpshooter guy. Instead of aiming at your taget then going through the trigger squeeze start your aim a little low of the target, then slowly move up til your front sight hits on the target, then say out loud "one two" while sqeezing your trigger. This helps from moving the pistol around while you go through your trigger pull, the "one two" takes your mind of the act of pulling the trigger. Try it and see.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I shoot right handed and my misses are low & left with my PT 709. My nephew used my gun who is left handed and an excellent shooter. His misses were also low & left. Shouldn't his misses of been low & right assuming improper control of the trigger? I sent my gun back to Miami for inspection. Magazine was also leaving a round in while the slide locked open.

Hopefully, all will be good when she comes back.

·
Registered
10 Posts
On mine shooting low left was a real problem. Put it in a vice locked it down and fired some groups. All low left even with the sights maxed out. Nice tight groups though. But yeah it could be your firearm. I removed the front sight post and filed it down and reinstalled to correct the low problem. The left I had to loosen the screw in the center holding the rear sight on. Once loosened, slid the whole assembly to the right in the dovetail, tightened screw down. Now the gun I shoot best out to 15 yards. Didn't want to wait for Taurus to fix it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
On mine shooting low left was a real problem. Put it in a vice locked it down and fired some groups. All low left even with the sights maxed out. Nice tight groups though. But yeah it could be your firearm. I removed the front sight post and filed it down and reinstalled to correct the low problem. The left I had to loosen the screw in the center holding the rear sight on. Once loosened, slid the whole assembly to the right in the dovetail, tightened screw down. Now the gun I shoot best out to 15 yards. Didn't want to wait for Taurus to fix it.
If this does not correct the problem of it hitting low left what should I do next?

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
Good info here - I recommend doing the bench rest thing foremost, just to see where the POI is when lining up the sights.
The "pad of the finger only" rule is most valid; I had some low/left issues until I consciously addressed that as well.
I agree with this recommendation. It makes all the difference to prove a true POI. You need a steady (bags kinda suck for this small pistol) - I have a 'Y' stand that is perfect for any gun. Will warn you though - KEEP YOUR OFF HAND away from the slide - I have two permanent scars on my left thumb from 709/740 slide (Yes, I did it TWICE)!!! LOL

As I've previously posted, I shoot my 740 much better than my 709 due to hanging on for dear life to that ornery little critter, it's my favorite carry, but not favorite on the range.

·
Registered
232 Posts
As you gently squeeze the trigger the "bang" should surprise you each time until you learn each weapon.

Or so I was told by my old instructor.

My thoughts!

Yours.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Ok, you're right it's too much finger in most instances. You don't want the trigger placed in the nook of the first joint this will cause you to pull low and left. You want to use the pad of your finger between the tip and the first joint.
Yep, what he said.

I also found that positioning the crook of my hand as far up on the backstrap as possible with thumbs parallel and pointing forward helped reduce the tendency to pull left.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
If you're shooting low and left, there is a 99% chance it is you and not the gun. You are jerking the trigger and/or not holding the gun correctly. I knew something was wrong with me and not the gun because several of my guns were shooting low and left. I knew they all couldn't have the same problem. I talked with a recently retired FBI agent and he confirmed my suspicions. Type in shooting low and left on Youtube and you will find some good explanations and some not as good. If you are properly holding the gun, the finger needs to be on the meaty part of the finder and you. pull it straight back gradually until it fires. We unconsciously flinch in anticipation of the recoil. I you use a revolver, having someone leave on chamber blank will is helpful to make you aware and shooting a 22 also helps. You have to think about each shot until you correct yourself (and it can come back). I found that the "faulty" sights were fine on my 5 handguns.

For those of you who have adjusted your sights to compensate, they will drive someone else crazy. That's like letting air out of a tire to keep a car from pulling to the side when it needs an alignment.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Will warn you though - KEEP YOUR OFF HAND away from the slide - I have two permanent scars on my left thumb from 709/740 slide (Yes, I did it TWICE)!!! LOL
He's 100% correct, yes I did it too

1 - 20 of 47 Posts