Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I got a pair of: Howard Leight R-01526 Impact Sport Electronic Earmuff

Seems decent enough. Much better than just the simple foam ear plugs I have been using.
Problem is my remington shooting glasses now make the ear muffs not have a complete seal around my ears... the stupid side pieces of the glasses near the temples/side of my face don't sit flush with my head and cause the ear muffs to have a gap...

My shooting glasses for now: Remington T-71 Dual Mold Shooting Glasses
Amazon.com: Remington T-71 Dual Mold Shooting Glasses (Clear Anti-Fog Lens/Black Frame): Sports & Outdoors

Can anyone recommend some shooting glasses that work well with ear muffs? I'm all about protecting my eyes and ears, and I feel like I've taken a step backwards now since wearing the glasses now causes the muffs to not do their job 100% and
I can hear gun shots because of the gap or space caused by the glasses...

Sorry if this seems lame but figured I can't be the only one that has run into this problem... these almost seem like they would elimate the problem...
Randolph Engineering Ranger XL Shooting Glasses System, Shooting Glasses, Eyewear, Optics, Shooting : Cabela's

EDIT: Found this thread:
http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?3041-shooting-glasses-amp-ear-muffs/page2

Dude has the same ear muffs... going to give those a shot now with the glasses...

-Nigel

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I wear Howard Leight electronic earmuffs at the range over my regular glasses. The muffs don't eliminate the sound of the shot, just greatly reduces it. I like being able to hear my friends talk, or an instructor.

·
Registered
612 Posts
No thank you sir!
no electronic muffs for me.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I like my howard leight impacts!

Any style of Oakley's work well (ask me how I know)

Also ESS has a set of frames called the "Suppressors" they are made specifically for use with a headset/muffs in mind. Very comfortable wore those or Oakley M-frames overseas everyday.

The thing I like about Oakley and ESS is that they are ANSI z87.1 rated, which is important for me.

·
Registered
34,137 Posts
Yup, I wear the Leight Electronic muffs as well! They let me carry on a conversation with the guys I shoot with, let me hear the R.O and still block out the sharp noises from the gun shots. I also wear glasses. I find that glasses that have a thin wire or cable temple work best for getting a decent seal around the muff. Mine are very thin and round, about 3/32" of an inch in diameter. The muff seals right over them without difficulty. My glasses have prescription lenses and I bought them and the frames from my eye doctor. When you're shopping for glasses, take your muffs with you!

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
I love mine, too and my prescription glasses work with it just fine. I've worn muffs for years and Sonic Ear Valves (the analog version of an electronic ear muff). The Sonic Ear Valves worked well while hunting allowing to you to hear what was going on around you but protecting your hearing.

Sent using TapaTalk HD

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
I guess I need to get with it and embrace modern equipment.

I use $2 earplugs from Walmart. LOL And was the only one of 10 people at my CHL test who had just earplugs.

Although I have been eyeballing more high tech hardware lately.

Reactions: RichO

·
Banned
405 Posts
I stick with the foam ones for outdoor ranges, they're more comfortable in the insanely hot summers here. I have electronic muffs, but they aren't very high quality and tend to give feedback if switched on. I usually save them for if I'm on an indoor range but don't switch the electronics on. As for eye protection, I have a set of clear shooting specific ones for indoors or cloudy days and usually just wear sport sunglasses, polarized amber lenses are my preference, they give the best contrast and clarity in the broadest range of lighting.

·
Registered
7,656 Posts
@NewShockerGuy, The glasses in the second link look like they would work better than the ones in the first. The first pair has plastic earpieces, fairly wide, which are probably creating the gap. The second pair has wire earpieces that are much thinner. I wear metal-framed glasses every day and the earpieces are much like your second link. If I wear shooting glasses over them, the only ones that fit are plastic with wide earpieces. I do notice a considerable improvement in noise cancellation if I don't wear the shooting glasses. The thinner earpiece definitely makes a difference. (My glasses have polycarbonate lenses, so they are impact resistant.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts