Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always wanted a 1911. Back in my early law enforcement years Americans used wheel guns and in law enforcement circles, a 1911 was considered an "experts gun." Since the Glock revolution in the nineties, things have certainly changed and we are awash in a sea of polymer.

This Taurus was my first 1911. I got a deal on it as a used gun. Overall I like the gun, but I can't get the accuracy I want out of it (yet), plus I've had some ammunition feed issues now and again. A shell casing will occasionally hang on the feed ramp. That is both with the Taurus magazine and a Chip McCormick I bought. I've had issues with the sights coming loose, and I don't like the front serrations on the slide. They tear leather and slow a draw fractionally. The gun has all the bells and whistles expected in a modern 1911 such as a skeletonized trigger, but I believe I'd prefer a more traditional GI look. I'll probably eventually sell this one or give it to a family member. We'll see.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
I just got one this week. So far very pleased with the accuracy. Function has been perfect except for aftermarket Mec-Gar mags not holding the bolt open after the last round. Only a couple hundred rounds through it but I'm pleased so far.

Reactions: muddcatt54

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
I have a non-Taurus 9mm version in the Officers" size.. I have run 500+ rounds through it without a single failure. I am still learning the trigger, and consistently hit 2" left of point of aim at 10yds.. GI sites so I have to get a site pusher..

·
Registered
36,871 Posts
well as for the accuracy problem, have you shot other 1911?
how is the accuracy of those with you shooting them?
maybe its just a hand placement thing or the sliding trigger is a bit different than the rotating trigger on most all platforms?
feeding issues can be very random as to cause, do you know how to check the feed ramp?
it is actually two pieces (unless you have a 9 MM ), one on the frame itself, the other on the barrel chamber.
of course magazines are a prime candidate for feed issues but IF you are having problems with several mags then likely not that.
From MY experience with the taurus semi auto and particularly in this discussion the PT1911 of which I own 4 of them.
quality and control of quality out the door can be anywhere, kind of the old joke about which was made on Friday at 430 PM thing.
2 of mine were great out of the box, two were problem children and had to go back to the mothership for repair.
now between Taurus and myself they are all running good and reliable.
actually my PT1911 Duo-tone is a very well made, smooth, great shooting pistol.
so is the PT1911AL.
its NOT the most accurate of my 1911 but it surely is a good shooter.
hope you figure out the problem.

·
8,950 Posts
Some of my PT1911's have had good accuracy and some not so much. On those I usually polish the friction surfaces on the slide and frame, then add a wrap around rubber style grip like Hogue or Pacmayr to assist in locking in that grip.

Reactions: muddcatt54

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
This is a ten yard group. I admit I had a good day. However, my stance is different. Feet shoulder apart, and towards the target. I was taught that made you a more stable when standing. I have too much hardware in the left knee to kneel well, but prone turns into a napping position.:D

Everytime I make a V-tac wall for training, I end up selling it, or giving it away. https://www.google.com/search?q=v-tac+wall&client=firefox-b-1&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwirsO3vqbbcAhWe3oMKHel3C1oQsAQIJg&biw=1366&bih=670

They make a good barricade for training and rule #1, NO TOUCH THE WALL! Using it for support hinders movement.

I should add, I'm 54 and I've been shooting 1911's since I was 16.

Maloy

0721181642a.jpg

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Hi Olfarhors,

Good questions. Let me preference first with the statement I'm not a Taurus hater. Yes, I have shot other 1911's. I'm not competitive level, but I shoot better than most at any platform or firearm. The shell casing of the bullet are hanging up on the lip of the barrel ramp. Not a lot, but enough to give concern for a firearm that might be dedicated to self defense.

Accuracy for me is subjective. What I can do with this gun would be fine with most folks. For me, I work at a high degree of accuracy with any firearm I own. That's why I stretch and handicap myself when I shoot with movement, position changes and multiple targets.

I'm tending to believe the gun itself is a little light, for me, with this platform. Possibly thicker grips would help. I don't think the gun itself is inherently flawed, but I do believe the more traditional 1911 weight and design would be more of what would work for me. I think you'd agree that that little things like the grip, how low the gun sits in relationship to the line of the forearm and slight differences in weight can make a difference in how a gun shoots for the individual shooter. Thank you for taking time to write and give your input. It helped me inventory where I'm at with this gun.

·
Registered
36,871 Posts
I am one of those that also am not a taurus hater, actually not a hater of most any firearm as long as its reliable.
Now thats not to say that I do not speak the truth in MY experience with any brand either.
the hanging up on the barrel ?? well the barrel ramp should be slightly forward of the frame ramp that leads into the barrel.
check that by making sure the barrel is pushed forward and that the frame does not fall short by a tad of the ramp cut into the rear of the barrel.
that's one big problem if it does. the other thing of course Is if they are reloads are the finished bullet being properly crimped?
this could happen on a factory round as well , but not usually found.
and lastly some 1911 have problems digesting semi wad cutter type projectiles.
I am sure some of our real 1911 gurus can likely add to my comments.
I am blessed in that 1911 and Cz 75 design weapons fit my hand like a glove.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
From reading post #9, it sounds like you may need a little throat work. The bottom of the barrel should not protrude into the ramp area on the frame. It should be flush or the barrel should be just short of the ramp by a few thousandths of an inch when it is locked open and the barrel pushed inward until it stops. If it only happens with reloads, then a little taper crimp or adjustment is needed.

This is one of the reasons some custom makers go the full ramped barrel. It's easier to make the gun run good, and only requires a little mill work to the frame. The only downside to this mod is that it cannot be easily reversed. To reverse it, requires someone really good at wire welding and re-machining.

Maloy

·
Registered
447 Posts
Proof is in the pudding...or, in this case, the paper plate. 25 yards, offhand, one hand hold (can't get used to two hands...too old to change, now). 200 gr match ammo. The wrap grip is very stable and definitely non slip with sweaty hands....

·
Registered
15,216 Posts
sounds like it just needed to be dialed in to your method of shooting. The feed issues concern me but we don't know what ammo variants you've used, whether it's all reloads, all factory loads, etc.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
IMG_0067 (2).JPG

Well, I was going to sell it to a friend, but my wife talked me into hanging on to it for awhile longer. I finally got the sights where I want them, so it's on the money now. Also I have run a good bit of ammo through it, as well as running snap caps through it. No more feed ramp issues. The gun was used when I bought it six months ago, but it hadn't been shot much. Sooo I see two things; a break-in for the gun and a break-in for the operator.

I still want a slightly thicker grip. I've looked online at some Pachmayr wooden grips and some Hogue rubber grips (not the wrap around). Thanks for all the input. I've gleaned information from each one. And thanks for my wife. She's a keeper like the gun.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I'm glad you got it figured out. It's almost like buying a new gun at a used price. My PT 1911 45 Cal was great out of the box had some issues with it feeding SWC at first but that was the ammo not the pistol after pressing the projectiles roughly twenty th.deeper Into the case all has been well now I am playing with some 230 grain TC bullets and can't wait to get to the range and check them out. God luck

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
I have to say this again, it's not the gun. Take a gun and clamp it down and fire away. If you get a group guess what? You have to learn your weapon. :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
35,426 Posts
You can have an actual GI model, selling 'em through DCM right now, or at least that's what I read in "American Rifleman". BUT, they're proud of 'em. I'd be happy with a Rock Island Armory, myself. :D I got my 1911 stolen 20+ years ago, replaced it with a Ruger KP90DC and it was a huge move up. :D But, I wouldn't mind having another 1911 to play with some day when I have everything else.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts