Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Guys,
Sorry haven't been on in a while not had the best of weeks. Paula's first Chemo didn't go so well or shall I say after the chemo didn't go so well. She caught some sort of chest infection and ended up in the hospital with pneumonia. She was in hospital for just over a week and got out today. Then this afternoon the local PD called. They are coming out to see us on Monday to talk about our firearms certificate renewals and to check the serial numbers on all the firearms we own. I will let you guys know the outcome. The options so far that have been suggested is transfer all my wife's firearms to me and she wouldn't be able to shoot till she is 100% better. She's not to happy with that option as she wants to see her friends down the range and doesn't want to miss a full season of competition if she is well enough to shoot it. other options were full surrender of all guns to an RFD (registered firearms dealer) till she is better or full renewal which is what she is hoping for. Currently other than the chemo once every 3 weeks she isn't on any medication so I cant see why they wouldn't renew. I will keep you all posted

Chris

·
10,379 Posts
Thanks for the update, sorry to hear she isn't feeling up to snuff. Good to hear though she's only on the chemo. Best wishes to her and you and I hope the firearms situation works out for everyone, hope she gets her renewal and can visit her friends down at the range soon.

Reactions: Mayonaze

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
It sounds like she has a very good partner for the ride - hang in there and good luck with the interview. In face-to-face situations people can't help but be influenced by words, attitude and apparent state of mind. Maybe a little rehearsal of minimizing the illness and treatment and projecting a positive message might help - can't hurt!!

OH - as you are 6-7 hours ahead of me this may be a done deal. How long does their decision take?

wishing you both the best!

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Hi Chris

Chemo is a hard ride, and can hit some people harder than others, knocking out the body's natural defenses is one of the problems. Hope it gets easier on Paula as the treatment progresses.

Can't understand the mind set of the PD, why does an illness - that is being managed - mean you are no longer to be trusted?

·
Registered
19,167 Posts
Prayers for the both of you and all the best. Good luck with the firearms..

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Chris,prayers going out for your wife, I hope all will be better soon,why the possible transfer's? due to her medical condition (s)? if so,that sounds like a rough cob eh?.hang in there.having a share of medical woes is been an experience to me as well.hope everything works out for the best.
'

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok guys the police came out today. They checked all our firearms and that was ok, but they were not happy with Paula's Chemo. She explained that she is not on any medication and only has a chemo cycle every 3 weeks which should end late July. She submitted access to all her medical records and they said they would have to look into it , speak to the licencing manager and get back to us. They are coming back out on Thursday morning to give us our options. It doesn't look good though.

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
Prayer sent for your wife, chris. I hope she recovers fully.

I also hope for the best in your situation with your licensing.

·
Super Moderator
20,013 Posts
And another round of prayers for our brethren and families across the pond.

Keep us informed.

·
Super Moderator
27,076 Posts
I hope it all goes well Chris. On ALL counts!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok spent a few hours on the phone with our lawyer. We are going to see the outcome on Thursday however intend to contest it if it doesn't go our way based on DDA (disabled discrimination act) we didn't know but our lawyer explained that cancer patients are covered by law against discrimination and that prevention of a normal social life is covered under law. As Paula has had a firearms certificate for + of 5 years and has had no issues and regularly attends a range they must have a suitable reason to prevent renewal and non terminal breast cancer is not a suitable reason. We are speaking to the legal team at BASC (British association of shooting and conservation) tomorrow and as we are both NRA member will speak to there legal teams too. We decided tonight we are going to fight this one all the way

All the best

Chris and Paula

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Ok spent a few hours on the phone with our lawyer. We are going to see the outcome on Thursday however intend to contest it if it doesn't go our way based on DDA (disabled discrimination act) we didn't know but our lawyer explained that cancer patients are covered by law against discrimination and that prevention of a normal social life is covered under law. As Paula has had a firearms certificate for + of 5 years and has had no issues and regularly attends a range they must have a suitable reason to prevent renewal and non terminal breast cancer is not a suitable reason. We are speaking to the legal team at BASC (British association of shooting and conservation) tomorrow and as we are both NRA member will speak to there legal teams too. We decided tonight we are going to fight this one all the way

All the best

Chris and Paula
I'm... deeply saddened that you're challenged with your wife's illness. I must admit that I am utterly at a loss for how your local constabulary has any reason to know your wife's medical condition, and what that has to do with any business they may think you are conducting. Your wife's treatment should not be under scrutiny of some bureaucrat cop; they should shuffle off and leave you be to fight this thing until you win!

·
Super Moderator
27,076 Posts
Delighted to hear it. Best of luck!

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Chris and Paula - congratulations on having a solid plan and being in front of potential trouble. I DO hope that you do not have to take on the system but it sounds like the law IS on your side.

Far too many people just let life 'happen' to them. It's wonderful to see that you two are definitely NOT in that group.

Stay strong!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Prayers for your wife's full recovery, and I hope all goes well with your firearms certificate renewals & such.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Cheers guys, we decided today that we were not going to sit back and let this one pass us by. The police were here for 3 hrs and the guy was very nice. However he just was doing what he had been told by his boss. He said he understood and was going to speak with his boss before coming back but we could see where it was going. We sat tonight before speaking to the lawyer and decided we were not going to let this one go by. Paula is pretty annoyed as she feels like she is being treated like a second class citizen. She has been trusted to hold a full FAC (firearms certificate) and SGC (shotgun certificate) but suddenly she became ill so is not trusted anymore . She's not having it at all, she told me tonight if it costs every penny we have in legal cover she is going to fight it all they way. As we are covered by NRA, BASC and club insurance with legal cover we should be ok. Will keep you all posted

·
Super Moderator
27,076 Posts
Chris, if there is ANY thing that I can do IM me!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts