Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought it might be fun to post an idea a buddy of mine had to do with his carry permit. With the scenario below should you shoot the perpitraitor or not and why (i.e. justify your answer)

Scenario: you are a pharmacist, and a masked man comes in and points a gun at you demanding some oxycodone. You give him the pills and he starts to leave. When his back is turned you pull out your handgun under the counter. You whistle at the man and out of surprise he drops the pills.

Should you now shoot the man or let him run? What aspects of this scenario lead you to your answer?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Once the perpetrator, or thief, whichever you prefer, no longer poses a threat, let him go and call the police. There should be a video recording of the person, and insurance will cover the loss. In this case, the pharmacist shouldn't interfere with the departure. If the pharmacist has his gun in hand and the thief turns around on his own and again starts to present the weapon, then the pharmacist has a right to shoot.

·
Super Moderator
36,843 Posts
Being that my philosophy is that my firearms are to protect the physical well being of me and mine and the thief poses no threat at that moment why would I shoot him? My guns are for self defense and not to uphold the law.

·
Registered
14,041 Posts
I guess this would depend on the value you place on taking a human life.

Me, I'd let him walk if no longer posed a threat to me or anyone in the store.

If my intentions were to have taken his life it would have been when handing over the pills and having a gun pointed at me and the threat was iminent.

·
Registered
34,139 Posts
As your scenario dictates, I would have my gun at the ready as the Bad guy is leaving. I'd let him go, but I'd watch him until he was completely out of sight. If at any point he turned back and directed his gun in my direction I'd shoot him. If he continued to be no threat, I'd watch him until he was out of sight and call 911.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Well, at the point where he's heading out the door,with his back to you, I say let him run.. I would not whistle to get him to turn around again, doing so just invites an altercation. That oxy isn't worth a gunfight...

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Well, Big John wouldn't have shot him in the back so I guess I wouldn't ether.

But as Big Skiff said, I would watch him until he was out of sight.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
As your scenario dictates, I would have my gun at the ready as the Bad guy is leaving. I'd let him go, but I'd watch him until he was completely out of sight. If at any point he turned back and directed his gun in my direction I'd shoot him. If he continued to be no threat, I'd watch him until he was out of sight and call 911.
This, right here.
Active threat? Engage. If he got the jump on you, and was leaving without further threat, it's in the hands of LEO's.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I'm not shooting anyone that isn't holding a weapon in a visibly threatening manner. Sure it's possible he gets away and goes on to hurt or kill someone else in another robbery, but I won't bring myself to play Judge, Jury, and Executioner over possible scenarios of what might be under the specifics of your hypothetical. The threat to me and those in my immediate vicinity is over, no one was hurt and the criminal is now only displaying interest in getting away, I have a description of the criminal and the crime, it's time to call in the police.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I honestly can not say what I`d do...If he dropped the pills and still had his gun he is a threat...Just how I`d respond is a let your conscience be your guide

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
If he is not posing a threat I would let him go. If however he turned back with the gun in his hand towards me and posed a threat I would do what I had to !

Reactions: atomiccat2002

·
Registered
27,538 Posts
Since everybody is on the same page I almost feel obligated to take the other side.
Almost.
But I can't.
Not only would shooting him not be morally justified, but the police will review the tapes, see what happened, and the pharmacist will become well acquainted with all the thieves good friends.
Save your bullets for a better scenario.

·
Registered
15,017 Posts
Call 911 while he is still in sight as he is leaving with your firearm at the ready. No sense at risking he's a luckier shot than you. Once he's left the location, start writing down every little detail you can remember about him to provide better info for police. If he does turn around while you are dialing you then have two options. You can wait to see if he raises his firearm at you (most likely pulling the trigger) OR, you drop him where he stands. As Long as he is leaving, he is no longer posing an immediate threat to you.

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I was told in this scenario, that I shouldn't shoot, and in fact not even consider it. As the person is "masked" that often means behaviorally they don't want to get caught, and I should try and figure out any details that'd help identify te person to the police. I thought this was pretty insightful!

·
Banned
893 Posts
Being that my philosophy is that my firearms are to protect the physical well being of me and mine and the thief poses no threat at that moment why would I shoot him? My guns are for self defense and not to uphold the law.
this is the correct answer, if you have shot him in the back then you would be charged with murder or manslaughter depending on the city or county.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
I'd give him birth control pills. :D

·
Registered
27,538 Posts
Does the correct answer depend on whether I own a backhoe?

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
NO SHOOT! once he has turned and was leaving he ceased to be a threat. That is not to say I would not have my firearm at the ready in case he decided to re-engage me in a threatening manner. It is no small matter to take a human life unnessarily!

·
Super Moderator
27,046 Posts
I was taught: engage the threat and neutralize the threat, until it is no longer a threat.
If he is no longer a threat, then you do not engage!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts