Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, let me preface this story with the fact that I am normally a keep-to-myself kind of person...'Don't start nothin, won't be nothin'...you do your thing, I'll do mine and we'll get along fine...BUT...

Standing in line at Walmart today, no mask because my asthma makes it difficult for me to wear one, so I am 'medically exempt', and there's a guy in front of me who just won't shut up, talking to the young lady in front of him, she had her young daughter in the cart...he's going on and on and on about everything, diarrhea of the mouth, kept on spewing, only pausing long enough to take another breath so he could continue rambling...anyone could see she really didn't want to speak to him...and finally it's her turn to unload her items on the counter, surprisingly he goes quiet for just one moment..and I'm thinking to myself: 'Don't turn around, don't turn around...' but as sure as the sun is going to rise in the East tomorrow morning, he does exactly that...turns around, looks at me and the very first thing out of his mouth to me is 'Make sure you keep the hell back, you don't have a mask on' (I was back six feet for sure)...now, this guy is wearing a regular old 'bandana/handkerchief' (think Old West Bandit, tied behind his head and pointing down, wide open underneath)

Me: 'And what is the filtration rate of your mask?'
Him: 'I don't know'
Me: 'Well, I know....it's ZERO'

Then he picks up a 3-foot metal rod from his basket, levels it about a foot away from my chest and says 'That's why I have this, to keep people back'...

I guess I've finally had enough of the last nine months of the Mask Nazis. I'm tired of the lockdowns, I'm tired of the restrictions and the regulations. I'm tired of the smug, holier-than-thou people. I'm tired of it all. But I was really surprised at myself when I glared back and with a completely dead-serious look on my face told him: 'Anyone who jabs a stick at me is gonna get it shoved up their ass'.

I don't even know where that came from. Like I said, I normally just keep to myself. But I said it, it was done, it was out there and I wasn't going to apologize for it.

He turned back around, put that metal rod back in his cart and went back to keeping about his business of checking out. Didn't turn around again, never said another word to me. He just checked out and then left, like any other normal shopper. Thinking about it later, I realized I was at the point that I just didn't care about throwing down and getting into a fight if it came to that. I'm tired of people like him. I'm sure I wasn't the first person he's done that too, either. Amazing how social bullies like him back down right away when you stand your ground. Giving them silence (being courteous) only empowers them the keep up their adversarial behavior. They're weak when someone calls them out.

Registered
Unfortunately, I see this on both sides of the mask issue. The anti maskers (my wife, daughter and son in law) sometimes glare at maskers as if they are idiots.

For the most part, I am a go along, get along person, wear a mask as it is no big deal to me, had a good supply of dust masks when this wu-flu crap started. I do try to social distance, but no longer use hand sanitizer anytime I go into a store. I also never stare or give the evil eye to anyone without a mask.

Once bite-me takes office and goes with his 100 day mandate of wearing a mask, I will probably become an anti-masker.

Still, there are people who condemn anyone without a mask, but last I heard, this is still a free country except for New York and California.

I just hope joe bite-me doesn't try to change that, but I have no doubt he will. bite-me is going to make a lot of us into criminals.

Registered
I know what you mean. I've COPD and have good days and bad. Sometimes a mask makes me dizzy. From the start I've had to deal with stupid. I do try, but some days I can't wear one.

Probably a few weeks ago I had an older lady rip into me. She made a scene. I kept saying I couldn't hear a word she said. Poor cashier didn't know what to do. The manager was on her way over, when I asked the cashier if this woman was saying anything. She said that I wasn't wearing a mask. I said well, she must be speaking stupid as I can't hear stupid. Poor cashier had to probably change her mask after busting out laughing, the manager never made it over. She put her hand over her mouth and turned around and walked off.

The older lady shut up, paid for her items, and walked out the store. After I paid for my stuff, the cashier asked if I needed a bag? I told her if it is anything like the old one that went out the door, no. I left her doubled over leaning on the counter shaking.

It's taken a long time for me, but you can learn to deal with stupid and have fun with it.

Maloy

Registered
well, if you remember the old days. A good old fashion country whoopin cured a lot of these ills. You just can't do that today but a very loud expletive delete leave me alone repeated louder each time engaged works for me.
voicing my displeasure with go away and leave me be is a warning. I am not an aggressor just leave me alone. Not going tit for tat just go away, shut up. as you are disturbing the peace.

Registered
well, if you remember the old days. A good old fashion country whoopin cured a lot of these ills. You just can't do that today but a very loud expletive delete leave me alone repeated louder each time engaged works for me.
voicing my displeasure with go away and leave me be is a warning. I am not an aggressor just leave me alone. Not going tit for tat just go away, shut up. as you are disturbing the peace.
Lord how I long for the old days !!

Registered
Doc, I almost always wear a mask in public out of courtesy, but if I had your health problems with it I probably wouldn't either.

I think I'd have slapped that rod straight down out of his hand and when he went to pick it up I'd have given him the warning about using it as an enema tool.

He was being the aggressor by pointing it at you and making threatening statements. You'd have been perfectly justified in "disarming" him.

Super Moderator
I've had dirty looks when I've left my mask in the car but pointing a stick at me would not be the wisest move. I would definitely disarm him. And he would know things would be going south real fast.

I was standing in a grocery isle one time and man bun had his mini bun pushing one of those small carts. Well the little guy ran into me and I politely said excuse me smiling at the little guy. Well man bun felt threatened and grabbed my arm. Bad mistake next thing he new was he was on the ground with my knee in his back.

I think he learned a big lesson that day. Luckily a store employee was there to witness the whole thing.

I told him to keep his hands to himself and I believe he took the advice.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Registered
I wear my mask out 99% of the time. The difference between me and most other "maskers" .... im not going to lecture someone about them not having a mask on in a store. Similar to what Twain said "don't try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig". Anti maskers aren't pigs but the sentiment is all same. Why should I waste my time trying to change someone's opinion? Plus the biggest reason, it would be rude. I was raised better.

I will wear mine, you don't wear yours. Thats fine. Truthfully, those bandana wearing types are more annoying to me than the maskless anyway.

Creek

Registered
I carry a mask with me and only put it on when entering a place of business. I dislike wearing a mask and when I look around I see a flock of sheep being controlled by fear. We are told that masks do no good then, told that they are effective. Which is it? Never mind, just wear your mask just in case! When Ol鈥 Joe mandates masks for 100 days, I wonder how he plans to enforce it.

Registered
I carry a mask with me and only put it on when entering a place of business. I dislike wearing a mask and when I look around I see a flock of sheep being controlled by fear. We are told that masks do no good then, told that they are effective. Which is it? Never mind, just wear your mask just in case! When Ol鈥 Joe mandates masks for 100 days, I wonder how he plans to enforce it.
The last thing I read was a few weeks ago at least, he allegedly was going to leave it up to the states to enforce. He was going to tell all the governors that they should have a mandatory mask order, as opposed to Trump just leaving it up to their discretion whether their state should have a mandatory mask order or not.

I wear a mask in businesses in Ohio because the governor has required all businesses to have a mask order, and I don't have a health condition that would prevent me from wearing a mask. I'm not under any illusions a simple face covering protects me from others. I do not judge or hassle someone who does or doesn't wear a mask. I do not talk about mask wearing in general to other people, particularly unsolicited talk to strangers. It's not a violation of law, but it's just rude IMO. I do want people to keep their distance from me whether they have a mask on or not, and I keep my distance from them. I limit my time in a business as much as possible but I could care less how much time others spend inside. To me all the stuff people do or don't do regarding mask wearing is between them and the business.

Registered
I've had to wear a mask at work (I work for a major retail chain) since April. To be honest, the cloth masks are so easy to breathe in that I doubt they do anything but that is all that is required. As such, I think a lot of the excuses for not wearing a mask are marginal. I always wear a mask when entering a business as a customer.

That being said, its not my job to enforce a mask ordinance and my employer has made it clear we aren't supposed to. So whatever you choose is your decision, which suits me fine. People that feel the need to intervene need to shut up and mind their own business. They aren't the mask police either.

Registered
I wear a mask when out, solely because my wife requests it. She works with children, and believes it helps. Were it not for her career, I would not.
I haven't encountered one of these mask Nazis,yet, however, I'm pretty sure I'd react the way you did.
I keep my distance from people, always have, that's because I like a clear field of fire...if necessary.

Registered
Sometimes it pays out so fast you aren't aware that you've reached the end of your rope.

Reactions: mj9mm

Registered
masks are one of things dividing this country. i have two son in law Doctors.. both say masks only improve your chance of getting sick, not necessarily the virus either. if you aren't wearing all forms of PPE you are just kidding yourself.

Registered
Had a little old lady light into me in the parking lot because my beard gets in the way of the mask wrapping under my chin.

"You ought to shave that nasty beard so you can wear your mask properly," she said.

Without even breaking stride, I asked her if that's what she did with her mustache.

And kept on walking.

Premium Member
No Shoes, No Shirt, No Mask, No Service. I don't have a problem putting the mask on, usually as I walk in to whatever shop I'm in, and I take it off as soon as I hit the door. If any of the staff aren't masked, I take that to mean it's an option and off it goes or I just don't put it on. Only had to deal with one karen and I blew her a kiss as I walked by, her lips just a flappin.

Registered
At first I had prepared a rather lengthy post on the subject, but ultimately I decided against posting it because it isn't at all productive...

However, I will say this much... Based on my observations it has become evident that the most profound impact that COVID-19 has had upon society is how folks in general have responded to it both emotionally and behaviorally. Frankly, it seems to have brought out the absolute worst in everyone, demonstrating just how frail the bonds of society truly are, how easily they can be broken, and how selfish people in general really are, even after all this time.
It is grotesquely disappointing, so much so that although I should be happy and grateful that I survived, I cannot help but find myself wondering if I would have been better off otherwise, because what hope is there for the future of mankind if all it takes for everyone to lose themselves and forget everything they stand for in the span of a year is a bit of fear and uncertainty?

However, I'm still here, I caught the virus, but I survived, and I will continue to do so, stronger than ever before because I refuse to succumb to the far more contagious sickness which seems to have spread to everyone else, sapping them of all strength in every conceivable form until all that remains is a twisted, shriveled husk which is no longer even recognizable as human. No matter what the future may bring, I refuse to die in such a state. So I'm going to do the exact opposite of what people are doing, and be better than I ever was before.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts