Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dewine signed the fix in the law that corrects the definition on a shotgun under Ohio law. This means Ohioans will be able to legally buy a Shockwave or Tac-14 once it goes into effect. Ohio law and Federal law deviated on this when Ohio usually follows Federal law.

https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/shockwave-fix-it-bill-what-really-happened

Do I intend to buy one? Probably not, but in a free society, I now have the choice.

Maloy

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I have one and I'm considering a second in 20ga. Tac-Sol makes a clip you can put in the Shockwave, then you can use the Aguila 1.75 inch low recoil shells. It's 42 feet from one end of my house to the other, one big clear area. Should work perfectly, if the need arises.

·
Super Moderator
20,082 Posts
I’ve got a shockwave. Hoot to shoot. It is one of my primary home defense guns. While I have a tapsol insert, I only use the 2.75” 12G 00 Buck in it at home. If I need to shoot, - - - - SHOOT! Don’t download. As was famously said “never heard anyone in a gunfight wish they had a smaller gun or less ammo”.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
I'm surprised that Ohio hasn't already received a modified version with an 18" Barrel like Massachusetts did.

I find it kind of funny how ever since the Shockwave was announced how folks have asserted that the ATF will imminently reclassify these firearms as a Class III NFA Item, yet much to the contrary, the ATF classification of these firearms has actually resulted in the reclassification of what ought to be considered a Short Barrel Shotgun in states with broader definitions of such.

·
Super Moderator
35,534 Posts
I should buy one, I guess, but I just don't WANT one. At least state law hasn't gotten in the way of my choice. It'd be of little use to me, personally. If I got one, I'd get one of those "arm braces" for it, one that I could "brace" on my shoulder. :laugh: I don't think they'll be legal after the first mass shooting in which one is used. It'd be just too easy for ATF to "re-classify" them. No laws need be passed.

I may eventually talk myself in to one with the "arm brace". It'd be nifty to carry in the truck loaded with slugs. I came across at least 50 hogs crossing our road the other morning. I had my .357 on me, but I didn't get close enough to 'em and doubt a shotgun could have been deployed on 'em either as they were moving. It was about a mile from my house. I shot one out of the truck with my .38, was enough to make him run. :rofl: I doubt it penetrated his shoulder from 50 yards. A slug would have. I had all day to shoot THAT one, just didn't have the proper tool.

When I'm actually hunting hogs, I use my SKS set up for night hunting, but it's a little much to keep in the truck. I did carry my folding stock SKS for a while, but need a better way to stash it than just tossing it behind the seat. It's too slow to get out from back there.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
I strongly doubt that anyone is going to attempt a mass shooting with a firearm that only holds 5 rounds in the magazine, 4 if you use 3" Shells.

Besides, the Shockwave isn't all that different from a Serbu Super Shorty AOW, which has been on the market since 1989, and (IIRC) has been used in Bank Robberies, (although I may be thinking of movies :D) so I doubt that they'd single out the Shockwave or any other such PGO Firearms in spite of leaving the much easier to conceal Serbu Super Shorty AOW be all these years.

Lastly, in an absolute worst case scenario, the most anybody would have to do in the event of a reclassification by the ATF is turn in the barrel then replace it with a legal 18"+ barrel.
That being said, I can't see putting a brace on a Shockwave or the like, it just adds too much to the OAL that it sort of mitigates the whole point of using one over a standard Riot Shotgun with an 18" Barrel with a folding stock.

·
Super Moderator
35,534 Posts
I strongly doubt that anyone is going to attempt a mass shooting with a firearm that only holds 5 rounds in the magazine, 4 if you use 3" Shells.

Besides, the Shockwave isn't all that different from a Serbu Super Shorty AOW, which has been on the market since 1989, and (IIRC) has been used in Bank Robberies, (although I may be thinking of movies :D) so I doubt that they'd single out the Shockwave or any other such PGO Firearms in spite of leaving the much easier to conceal Serbu Super Shorty AOW be all these years.

Lastly, in an absolute worst case scenario, the most anybody would have to do in the event of a reclassification by the ATF is turn in the barrel then replace it with a legal 18"+ barrel.
That being said, I can't see putting a brace on a Shockwave or the like, it just adds too much to the OAL that it sort of mitigates the whole point of using one over a standard Riot Shotgun with an 18" Barrel with a folding stock.
Well, A...I don't do PGOs and B...if I got it, it'd have to be able to tag a hog at 50 yards. I keep handguns for self defense, not shotguns. I used to keep a shotgun handy in years past, but no longer.

I don't know why you'd have to turn in the barrel, just remove it for another barrel or leave it barrel-less and it'd be legal. That's what they say about the TC Contenders. You can have a stock for your rifle barrel and you can have a pistol barrel for it, just don't put the stock on the gun with the pistol barrel. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts