Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any luck getting a refund from Taurus for shipping to repair a brand new firearm?

I had purchased a new 608 and it was defective out of the box. Of course Taurus would fix it, but I had to pay for shipping.
Cases would not eject without considerable force being applied, IE tapping with a blunt object on the ejecter rod.
When I got it back, they had dinged up my front site as well as fixing my problem. Very quick turn around, but I'm not a happy Taurus owner at this point.

·
Super Moderator
36,803 Posts
Right Church, wrong pew. Your post belongs in either the "Revolver" section or in "Complaints".

The time to get the shipping paid is before your return it. Taurus will pay for round trip within the first year of ownership. Some have stated that Taurus has hidden behind a year from the manufacture date, but others have successfully argued that issue.

There is no one here who can help you get a refund and I do not recall hearing of anyone who has received one retroactively. You are going to have to take that up with Taurus USA in Miami...climb the management ladder if the person you speak to can't or won't help you. Be polite and ask to speak to their manager...and so on.

Did you clean your revolver thoroughly before your bought it and did you inspect it before you accepted it at the store? Many times a firearm is taken out to the range with packing grease/preservative in the mechanism and carbon from the gasses will cause binding or erratic operation.

Welcome to the forum and I hope you can get some satisfaction with Taurus, both with the shipping charge and the sight damage.

Post up a photo if you can in the "Member Introduction" section or in the "Revolver" section.

·
Administrator
35,510 Posts
You should definitely get free shipping on your second go-around, but you may have to press them on it. That is, if your gun is indeed new, and that means manufacture date, not purchase date.

I'd be interested in seeing some photos as well. ;)

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
To be quite honest, if Taurus is going to use the manufacturing date, instead of the sales date, in any aspect of the Warranty, they need to proclaim it in their Warranty Literature. That's required under law. As they tell you that you are to submit the Warranty with X days of purchase, that would, to the normal person, mean that the paperwork STARTS the Warranty.

Guns that are built in Brazil have to be shipped to the United States, go through customs, be entered into BATFE records, shipped to a distributor, shipped to a dealer, and then bought. Especially in today's economy, it's quite easy to see a year, or most of a year, go by before the gun is sold.

I'm usually not very supportive of people in this forum, feeling that the vast majority failed to use due diligence. However, this needs to be addressed at the Corporate level.

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
If you do recieve a refund, you're definitely going to annoy someone high up in the corporate ladder. You won't get it from anyone at the Customer Service level to give the go-ahead on sending money back to the customer.

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Registered
36,602 Posts
I would not hold my breathe on a refund!
first when Taurus provides the free shipping they arrange it with FEd-X and they pay a cooperate rate, so much, much cheaper than you paid,additionally they could if they wanted easily ship second day air and pay even less than that, althoguh they do next day air.
so the shipping thing as mentioned should be dealt with before it is shipped, but I wish you luck with it.
and color me as one that has sucessfully shipped 2 different Taurus that were older than 1 year manufacture , but less than 1 year ownership back to Taurus with them paying the shipping.-maybe I am just lucky but have not had a ounce of problems from Taurus and thier repairs!
as for the second return well anytime that has happened to me ( Beretta 3 times, Colt twice) for the same repair the company always has paid for all return fees within a year of repair.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry I posted in the wrong place. It was difficult enough just top find where to post at all. I asked the CS guy about having it paid since it was new out of the box and he said they would not. I had cleaned it up, and lubed it up pretty good and wiped it all down. Then tried it once again, and did another clean and lube on it, with no change. Even let it soak a bit. There was one chamber that would fall out easy, then each one bound progressively worse. I guess it was the luck of the draw (pun intended) with the CS. Maybe I can fire off some letters and see if I can get something out of it. Thanks all!

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I doubt if you will have much success in getting a refund, I know that stinks but many times life does too. My personal theory is to work out an acceptable aggreement UP FRONT, learn from your own and others experiences and mistakes and life can become more bearable.

Nothing I say is meant to infer that all things in life are fair, but we can learn to make it a little more fair.

·
Banned
171 Posts
I doubt if you will have much success in getting a refund, I know that stinks but many times life does too..
Only because we accept and expect it to happen that way while doing nothing about it. If everyone did their part to fix issues like this the world would be a far less crappy place. Til then when life hands you lemons say Fugg the lemons and bail.

As to the shipping I had to send my 845 back in and Taurus paid for shipping but it had been manufactured within a year. I cant express how STUPID it is to have something sit on the shelf for 1 or even 5+ years un touched and if it doesn't work when purchased brand new to make the customer pay for shipping it to fix a factory problem when the gun should not left the factory if it didnt work. same goes for any product. That is so STUPID it makes short bus riders seem like Steven Hawking. And that is putting it nicely.

I like their firearms when you get good ones (PT11 had two no issues) but their CS (I have had 2 good experiences with them and one bad) is making me want to look elsewhere for my future firearms purchase.

Not to mention advertising for products such as the 822 conversion kit for the 800 series handguns (one of the reasons I purchased the 845 so I could have a defensive caliber and shoot cheap .22 for range fun with conversion kit) then scraping the thing all together. Makes you wonder if 8 year olds are running the company.

·
22,058 Posts
Has anyone had any luck getting a refund from Taurus for shipping to repair a brand new firearm?

I had purchased a new 608 and it was defective out of the box. Of course Taurus would fix it, but I had to pay for shipping.
Cases would not eject without considerable force being applied, IE tapping with a blunt object on the ejecter rod.
When I got it back, they had dinged up my front site as well as fixing my problem. Very quick turn around, but I'm not a happy Taurus owner at this point.
You need to call CS again and explain you situation. If this gun is less than 12 months old they will pay shipping.

I personally talked to CS recently about just this type of situation and I was assured this is unacceptable. If you are being honest
about this and I have no reason to think otherwise you should be able to get satisfaction.

·
Registered
723 Posts

How did that conversation with Taurus go where the "I had to pay for shipping" come up did you ask them to ship you a shipping label?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts