Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the proper and legal way to ship my firearm to Miami for warranty service? My 3.5 year old Taurus TCP PT 738 suddenly developed failure to extract problems and a last round slide lock with one round left in the magazine. I spoke with CS today and after a lengthy discussion that seemed to be an attempt to talk me out of returning the gun for service. They did agree to send me a shipping label for 2nd day air at $50 cost to me including insurance. They advised that my firearm must be shipped either next day air or second day air. I remember reading somewhere that firearms being returned to factory for repair could be shipped via US Postal service. Please share any knowledge you may have about shipping firearms for factory repair. Thanks!

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Pistols are a no-no with the USPS.
Rifles and shotguns are allowed if unloaded, no ammo, and going direct to the manufacturer for repair. (or to yourself from one State to another)
Here is a good breakdown.
How to ship firearms - THR

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Taurus CS was correct about the shipping fee. As bad as it sounds, the shipping fee charged by Taurus is a discounted fee from FedEx, based on the Taurus shipping volume.

As a rule of thumb (do NOT hold me to this), but I believe that for the first year Taurus picks up the shipping tab.

I may be wrong, but I don't think the PO still ships handguns for the general public. They may ship between FFL holders.

Long guns may still be shipped by the PO under some circumstances.

If you have a friendly FFL, he may ship your pistol by lesser means and save you some money.

DETAILS:

Post Office Regulations to Ship a Firearm | eHow

Shipping Guns

Firearms Shipping Guide- GunBroker.com Help Center

How to Ship Firearms to Another State | eHow

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
My lgs charges 30 total to ship thru post office.

jhp

·
Super Moderator
40,649 Posts
Check with your local FFL, mine will ship a hand gun for $20.00 using the post office. Beats doing it myself with UPS or FEDEX.

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
From what I understand you HAVE to ship next day air FedEx for ALL handguns.

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
Your choice is UPS/FedEx NDA or Second Day Air or have an FFL ship it, But.....

If you ship it yourself expect a lot of confusion. I've often been told that it has to go Next Day not Second Day, but it is O.K. to use Second Day. Retail UPS/FedEx locations may refuse it, and you'll have to go to one of their depots. The label supplied by Taurus is a good deal here, as it will save you a lot of hassle.

If you ship it through an FFL, it has to go on their books so when you pick it up it should be treated as if you were making a purchase = 4473 and a background check.

I would prefer to use their label and just drop it off at a collection point. I have spent more than $50 shipping guns to various places. I'm glad Taurus is offering this now. I think I made that suggestion once in another forum....maybe they listened?

·
Registered
24,898 Posts

·
Registered
8,801 Posts
BEFORE, I was told you can't - I did - ship two pistols back to Taurus FedEx Ground service using my FedEx account. Cost was less than $12 with $300 insurance. As I've posted before - FedEx doesn't ask what the contents are on their on line shipping form. I also expect that had the pistols disappeared in transit, FedEx would have told me to go pound sand should I file a claim. I did track them all the way there, sweating bullets that they might disappear (4-5 day travel time). Depending on pistol, I would probably do it again except I would not address it to Taurus International, just T-I and their address & Zip and Repair No. I have no problems paying for a none warranty repair, but requiring expensive shipping gets my dander up and goes against my reasons of fairness - paying 15-25% one way of the gun value torques my buns massively. LOL

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
I don't understand why you folks in Florida can't do a drop-off for repair, especially those in Miami.

·
Super Moderator
40,649 Posts
I don't understand why you folks in Florida can't do a drop-off for repair, especially those in Miami.
I have wondered that myself, don't think anyone has ever asked. If I have a need to call Taurus again I will try to remember to ask.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone for sharing all your info. First of all, I guess I need to decide if repairing a nearly four year old TCP 738 is worth doing. I'll check with my FFL and see what he will charge to ship the gun. My final option will be taking CS's offer of $50 shipping label. Also, CS said if they find nothing wrong there could be a $35 service charge too. Oh well, nothing is ever easy! Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is just an update and to say thanks for all of your comments. I shipped the gun through my local FFL dealer for $25. Taurus repaired the gun and sent it back in about 2 weeks. They replaced the extractor and the entire frame too. I got it to the range once since getting it back. Still had ejection failures and slide locking with rounds still in the magazine. Problems happened with Winchester white box FMJ and with Blazer FMJ but Hornady Critical Defense ammo ran without problems. Taurus said I should use the Hornady or the Winchester JHP that they tested it with (24 rounds). This is a pretty expensive solution for me since both of these ammos are expensive. I'll try again this week with some other types of ammo. If it does the same I'll attempt to return it to Taurus again.

·
Registered
8,801 Posts
Next time tell then to use cheaper FMJ ammo so they can at least replicate the problem. Trying to be nice, but that response to use JHP was about the dumbest I've heard. if the problem continues - send 'er back.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Taurus is not going to guarantee that a gun will work with all types of ammo. I expect your premature slide lock is caused by either you hitting the slide lock lever (only you can know) or the fatter front ends of certain bullet types hitting the slide lock tab and pushing it up. Hornady CD is almost conical (not fat in front) so that's probably why they are OK. You might be able to shave some metal off that tab so it doesn't touch bullets as they feed. The extraction problem is more complex. Some extractors just seem to have problems with some extraction groove profiles. Maybe Taurus will sell you an extractor (like $20) but I hear they are now restricted parts that Taurus will not sell to owners. You may have better luck with other brands of target ammo. Some 709 owners had FTEx problems with certain ammo but those problems disappeared after their guns were well broken in. So maybe there is hope there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts