Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brand new 856 Defender in black. did a bunch of dry fire with no lube, then next day shot 20 rounds light loaded hollow points followed by another 20 rounds of light loaded 148 lean SWC. 6 1/2lb single action, 16lb double. shot almost perfectly to point of aim at 10 and 30 ft with both ammo and nice small group.
Automotive tire Rim Gas Bicycle part Auto part

When i cleaned i discovered several small pits about an inch in from the muzzle in a line form front to back on one of the lands. biggest was perhaps 1/4 the width of the land and there were perhaps 4 getting smaller in a line 1/4" long. there is a line of even smaller ones on another land the same distance in. They look like they were caused during machining, not voids in the metal or corrosion.
What does it cost to ship it to them? they don't seem to pay for shipping on i worry about them not getting it back to me in any reasonable time(or worse yet replacing the barrel with one that doesn't shoot so well).

·
Registered
894 Posts
I really like both of my Defender 856 revolvers. Galloway spring kits lightened the pull in both DA and SA without affecting reliability. If accuracy was good, I don't think I could let go of either. I'd keep it.

·
Super Moderator
40,315 Posts
Taurus was sending labels for new guns less than a few months old. They probably would quote 4 to 6 weeks. I'm not sure I would send it back for that however .

Reactions: ChrisH

·
Registered
505 Posts
if its shooting good i would not send it back . they kept my bad out of the box tx 22( bad barrel -bad mags ) for 17 weeks . once they have
it , they act like they own it . worst customer service ever ----i got tired of waiting after several months ,and told them to just ship it back unrepaired . they refused --------------

• Angry
Reactions: Revolver guy

·
Registered
Guns? What guns?
338 Posts
That chip-out looks to be in the rifling groove. If it was on a land I’d be concerned, but in a groove? Almost certainly a non issue.

Reactions: ChrisH

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
That may not cause a problem while shooting, like some here suggest, but that's just plain old crap workmanship. I would venture to guess that you wouldn't find something like that in the bore of a Hi-Point pistol. I'd send it back under general principle because the more these companies get away with this kind of sloppy work, the more they'll keep doing it.

·
Super Moderator
40,315 Posts
That may not cause a problem while shooting, like some here suggest, but that's just plain old crap workmanship. I would venture to guess that you wouldn't find something like that in the bore of a Hi-Point pistol. I'd send it back under general principle because the more these companies get away with this kind of sloppy work, the more they'll keep doing it.
You have a point. The chance that they will have a replacement barrel is probably nil. That means replacement and the time frame doubles or more, although Customer Service can give a definitive answer.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I'd shoot it a bunch more while still under warranty and if it performed good, keep it. That looks like a tool chip. We used to get those when machining porcelain electrical insulators.
The modern method of producing a barrel rifling is the hammer method & I don't believe that that method would leave a bore gouge like the one on the pic of the revolver above. That one almost looks like some dummkopf nicked the bore while performing a different process in the production cycle.

Reactions: Revolver guy

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
considering they are on a land, and there are matching faint ones on the next land, I'm thinking it came from when the barrel was bored. Nothing else would be going 'round and 'round.

So, I think I'll use a tiny brush to clean them out, degrease, and pack some JB weld in them. That way they will be filled and not accumulate any fouling. 😮

Considering how well it shoots and sights are registered, I'd rather not hope that the infamous Taurus customer service can be trusted to put on a barrel as well aligned as this one is.
Also just installed the Galloway spring set and now it is 8-1/2lb double action and 3-1/2lb single action, down from 13 and 6. smooth too.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts