Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my Spectrum was having issues with light primer strikes, and the occasional FTFeed. After 2 thorough cleanings, and 2 range trips, the gun was performing much better, but the trigger had a crack on the left side (which MAY have been there when I bought it - I didn't take the time to look the gun over as thoroughly as I typically would have, as the gun counter guys were so busy fondling the first one they had ever seen - seriously), so it was going to go back to Miami for that, at a minimum anyway. I put her in FedEx' hands on 1/30, and received her back today! Fifteen days total out of my possession. That is OUTSTANDING customer support in my book! The trigger was replaced, as was the firing pin, and firing pin spring. NPF (no problem found) with the feed ramp. Oh, and they even gave me an extra magazine for my troubles! Very happy here!!!

It has been raining here for a couple days, and will continue for a few more, so seeing that the only areas to shoot (near me) are outdoors, it will be into next week before I get a chance to stretch her legs. To say that I am excited would be an understatement!

It is good to have her home!

Attachments

·
Registered
378 Posts
15 days, replaced 3 parts and tested 39 rounds of 3 different quality hollowpoints. Excellent! This is a good sign of taking things seriously and probably demonstrates that pistols designed and made in the U.S. just might have a better stocked parts inventory or at least another spectrum to cannibalize. Good news.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Wow! Glad to hear such a great CS story!

Reactions: Yissnakk and cnj

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
Glad the process was pretty painless and fairly quick. Looking forward to the range report.

Reactions: mingaa and cnj

·
Super Moderator
37,232 Posts
Great news!

Reactions: cnj

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Outstanding!! Kudos to Taurus CS! :thumb:

Reactions: cnj

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Today, I finally got a chance to get back to the range with my Spectrum. The wife was with me, so I also brought along her Sig P238, my Ruger SR22 pistol, and my new-to-me PT111 G2 (first range trip with me for this G2). It has been cold and rainy off and on here lately, and there is a big storm moving in, so I knew my time would be limited today. We got to the outdoor range and set up our targets at about 7 yards out. I was really anxious to see how the Spectrum performed, but I was also excited to try out the G2. My wife had not been shooting in some time, so I also wanted to focus on getting her re-accustomed to her Sig. She was also looking forward to shooting the SR22, as she took a fancy to one in the muddy girl pink camo colors at a recent gun show.

I fired a total of 64 more rounds through the Spectrum today. I guess my wife burned through more 380 ammo with her Sig than I realized, so I got what I got. I am sad to say that in the 64 rounds fired today, I had 2 Failures to Feed. So, after a total of 310 rounds fired in 3 range trips and one trip to Miami (Taurus repair center fired 39 rounds while it was there), I have had a total of 13 malfunctions. Not stellar by any means, but also not "Ring of Fire" pistol performance either. I'll note that today's FTFs were using Federal brass FMJ, and Magtech brass FMJ, with each variety causing one FTF each. The federal gave me no issues last trip.

Strangely, my SR22 gave me nothing BUT problems today, with nearly every mag full, failing to feed after the first round was fired. This is only my second time out with this one, so after I try some different ammo, it may be going back to Ruger.

Of course, the wife's P238 shot like the masterpiece it is, and some really great news on my new-to-me G2......50 rounds went down the pipe, trouble free (just what I expected, really). I really am starting to love my G2s!!

Some final observations and thoughts on the Spectrum........
-This will likely be my final range report on this gun, unless there is a marked improvement in performance. At that time, I may post a follow up.
-I was hoping to replace my trusty KelTec P32 (with something a bit more powerful), as my every day pocket lint collector. Unfortunately, it won't be with the Spectrum. I simply can't fully trust it.
-I really wanted a Spectrum with the stainless slide, gray frame, and black grips. My wife wanted the Cyan, white, stainless combo. But, at least for now, my plans to purchase additional Spectrums has been shelved until ultimate reliability of the model has improved. My Spectrum will be relegated to "fun gun" status for now.
-I have owned MANY handguns over many years, and I do not feel one should have to keep "massaging" a gun in an effort to make it reliable. A clean gun with the right amount of lubrication MUST have a much lower failure rate than my Spectrum. In my book , anyway.
-To all of those who are having no issues whatsoever with their Spectrums, my hat is off to you! And I hope you have continued success!
-Am I disappointed in the Spectrum? Well, yes and no. I really had high hopes for this gun (and I guess I STILL DO). I do really like the gun, and it fits my hand better than any other sub-compact gun I have tried. And I do enjoy shooting it, and am fairly accurate with it. But it can't do what I was hoping it would.
-Will I keep it over the long term? Dunno.

Reactions: darbo

·
Administrator
35,567 Posts
I don't know if I would let depression set in just yet. Since getting the gun back from Miami, it still has quite a bit less than 500 rounds through it, and two FTF's. I would say keep cleaning it and taking it back to the range, and see if by the time you hit 600-700 rounds, the FTF's clear up. I'm guessing the light strikes went away too, and if so, then that's a great thing. :thumb:

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't know if I would let depression set in just yet. Since getting the gun back from Miami, it still has quite a bit less than 500 rounds through it, and two FTF's. I would say keep cleaning it and taking it back to the range, and see if by the time you hit 600-700 rounds, the FTF's clear up. I'm guessing the light strikes went away too, and if so, then that's a great thing. :thumb:
Indeed, I failed to mention that the light strikes (should) no longer be an issue. I noticed a more pronounced divit in the primers of the ammo I used today. That's a very good thing.

·
Super Moderator
37,232 Posts
Curious to know if the mags are left loaded between range trips...FTF can also be a result of stiff mag springs from what I've heard.

Reactions: 45 Forever

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Man cnj, sorry to hear about your hopes getting blown away. Nothing worse, especially after getting "repaired", than a pistol that don't work. The whole idea for having that particular pistol, is for carry....does not exactly instill confidence when it performs like that, and most certainly takes it out of the "carry" rotation.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Curious to know if the mags are left loaded between range trips...FTF can also be a result of stiff mag springs from what I've heard.
Hi. Nope. I don't keep mags loaded between range trips. I did leave the mags loaded for 3 days when I first got the gun. But, I am willing to try just about anything, so I may just load them up, and see what happens next time.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Let's give it more trips to the range. Give it a good cleaning tonite and start this process all over again next weekend or so. I'm thinking she's just not "settled in" yet.

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
42 Posts
Indeed, I failed to mention that the light strikes (should) no longer be an issue. I noticed a more pronounced divit in the primers of the ammo I used today. That's a very good thing.
Im glad to hear you didn't have any light strikes yet. I would be interested in hearing how it does with 100+ rounds through it in one trip in regards to light strikes. If it truly is no longer an issue, I will send my gun in and have them replace the striker assembly. As for your FTF, thats oddly one issue I have not had a single time. I will tell you though, the night I picked up the gun the first thing I did was polish the feed ramp with a dremel and some Mag polish. It is silky smooth. Its never had a FTF, and its possible that that is why. If I remember correctly, the feed ramp was already more or less "polished" whenever i first got the gun, but I thought I would go ahead and make it perfect since it wasn't blued anyways. My wife's LCP benefited immensely from having the feed ramp polished, and hers came blued. I dunno if you have a dremel laying around with a felt tip and some Mothers Mag Aluminium polish, you might just see if you can get her to shine and feed properly. I really doubt it has anything to do with your mags.

·
Super Moderator
37,232 Posts
I'm with TTG, give it a little more time/rounds and see how it goes. Are you willing/able to do a little fluff and buff on the feed ramp? If so I would do it.
I polish every feed ramp when I receive a pistol and then maybe once or twice per year. A Dremel type tool with a felt "bullet" and a wee bit of rubbing/polishing compound. Don't overdo it to change the geometry, but give it a nice mirror finish.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts