Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Was at the gun club today and did some shooting with my main 3 guns. Ruger SR9, KelTec P11, and My Taurus 850. I hate shooting my KelTec. Some say just carry it. Don't shoot it much. I want to like shooting my carry gun, and do it often so I am good at it. And I can't hit a barn if I was inside it. But guys say it is a defense gun so it only has to be somewhat accurate at like 10 fet. Sorry I don't feel that way. Then I got out my Ruger SR9 which I love to shoot. But I had one fte and several times it would not lock the slide back after the last round. So I won't be carrying that till after the recall and after 200 rounds without any problems. She is still breaking in so I am sure it will be fine. But I use to switch back and forth with my trhee for ccw. But now I am sticking with my 850. I was very pleased with my accuracy with it. I have now done 200 rounds without an issue. Well it is a revolver. Not to many problems with them normally. And I am getting better with it. SO she is now my go to ccw gun. Now I just need to get myslef a good holster for it and I will be set. I am thinking of trading in my Keltec and some others in on a 85 UL. I have always liked revolvers, but this 850 is really growing on me. And making me want more revolvers.

Bill

·
Super Moderator
21,441 Posts
Carry the gun your comfortable with my XD-9 is deadly it shoots where I point it no sights and at 7 yrds I can put the good ole smily face on a regular man size target. I sacrafice size for what I know will work its the 4" and can be easily carried IWB. I have a 38 m85 that fits my pocket real well and am happy with that if its hot and I'm wearing shorts and a t-shirt. my $02 :)

·
Registered
959 Posts
Hard to beat a CIA...<:))

·
Super Moderator
21,441 Posts
compared to other guns the trigger pull just does not feel right to me I have no other problems with Kel-tec a bunch of guys on this forum carry them and swear by them and I trust there judgement. I'm just really accuarte with a little revlover and love the feel of it. The little auto's just don't seem to hold the grip right when I shoot mutiple shots even the compack XD, glocks I have the same problem with It could be just me.

·
Super Moderator
34,952 Posts
A P11 has been my constant carry for a dozen years, primary, though I do alternate it on occasion. It will put 10 rounds into 3.5" dead to POA at 25 yards and I can mow down 6 6" plates off hand at 25 yards with it in rapid succession with maybe a couple of misses. Mine is very easy to shoot, but the long trigger requires practice in DA technique. It took me very little time with it to fall in love, though, since I'd been shooting DA revolvers in competition for years. I've even done well in IDPA shoots, shooting high Sharpshooter times (was shooting low expert times with my Ruger P90 at the time) with the P11 with good accuracy, just a little slower to acquire the sights due to the short sight radius.

The P11 has a long, rather heavy DA pull which is very safe in a pocket gun to carry, but requires practice to shoot well. I do not agree that it doesn't need to be accurate. I don't like to carry ANY defense gun that won't shoot inside 5" (center mass, roughly) at 25 yards and 4" makes me a lot happier, that from a rest, the only real way to test accuracy of the gun if you don't have a ransom rest. Even if you are at close range, just think if you're in a crowded restaurant or need to shoot a BG holding your daughter hostage, any number of senarios. No sir, if you can't shoot that P11 and don't have the will or the skill to learn, carry a gun you CAN shoot well. I'm very happy with my P11, 100 percent reliable and nearly as accurate as my 2" Taurus M85UL with over twice the firepower and shooting +P 9mm. But, if I couldn't hit so well with it, I'd carry the Taurus or something else. Sure glad I can shoot it well, though, 'cause it's so light and small in a pocket, it's a peach to carry.

·
Super Moderator
34,952 Posts
BTW, have you tried a grip extension on a magazine? I don't carry mine with the grip extension because I pocket carry it most of the time, but it helps control the gun as does a Hogue finger groove "hand all junior".

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
paulrabe78 said:
bjf41, what is it you hate about the Kel-Tec? I have one and love it. Is it the recoil?
It isn't the recoil. Well, kinda. I don't mind heavey recoil. But the size of my hand puts my thumb knuckle right at the point of the curve of the backstrap. And under recoil it drives the right into my knuckle. I shot 20 rounds and I wsa bleeding. I tried to change the way my hand is on the gun, to no avail. I have shot other small handguns with no issue like this. The recoil is fine. Not bad at all. It is my knuckle getting nailed. It is like the curve is to sharp. I don't know. I just know I don't like it.

Bill

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
i enjoy my autos, but after i sold my 650 cia , i wish i hadnt have , they are just great for carry, i like the 85 ul also , soon as i find a good price ill have one , i always likethe safe feeling that yu get from a revolver , its like i know i can get 5 off with out a hitch if needed, i did my ccw range work with a 3in 38spl 85 which i still have an carry

·
Registered
178 Posts
bjf41, Carry the one you are most comfortable with. I have traded guns several times because they didn't fit or I just didn't like them. Everyone's hands are a bit different. Don't carry a CCW gun you are uncomfortable with. If you are very comfortable with revolvers use one. Autos are not the only viable CCW gun. I too like revovlers, I don't think you are unarmed with a good revolver. Thanks Frank

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I almost bought a Kel-Tec but just couldn't get it to "feel right" in my hand. Fits great in the pocket but not so great in the hand. Ended up with the PT111 and I don't regret it.

·
Super Moderator
21,441 Posts
I shoot hostage targets as part of my range work I picture the hostage as my wife or daughters if I can't hit the BG 100% of the time I won't carry the gun no matter how small and pretty it is. this is life and death when you pull that thing if there's even the littlest dought get somthing that you can make that shot and know it! :)

·
32,481 Posts
It's been pointed out time and again that the snubbie or any revolver for that matter, are not extinct. Matter of fact if numbers by the makers is to be believed revolvers are still highly popular and a great many of those are snubbies.

Through the years the well known gun writers/instructors get together for conferences or shooting related seminars. When alll these gunnies get together a surprising number have a snubbie tucked away on them somewhere. Backup or otherwise.

This flies in the face of the "conventional wisdom" that stipulates the demise or obsolete status of the revolver.

Simplicity in most respects or spects of shooting and maintaining the gun are brought forward at such times.

There's also the fact that many gun instructors find that they themselves and their students can draw and fire accurately a snub revolver with a more sure and even grip than on a compact/subcompact pistol. Grips on the revolver easily contour to the hand versus the straight or canted grip angles.

This may not be true for many, but it is true for a goodly number of shooters. This was also documented by the police and military trainers.

There are those here who like the pistol and shoot those well, have confidence in them, and rightly carry what works for them.

There are those who do well with the snub revolvers for the same reasons. What works well and feels right can't be beat.

F.B.I. and Department of Justice statistics show that most of the defense shooting are short and brief. Most do not go over the 5 or 6 rounds a snub revolver holds. Granted more shots or ammo may be needed in some scenarios.

If the 850 works well as compared to the pistols feel secure that picking the 850 or another snubbie is not a bad thing at all.

I've got the older 85CH myself and shoot it better than the PT111 Mil/pro most of the time. Then again, learning to shoot revolvers came first when I first started getting into the shooting sports.

On the other hand 10-12 rounds (depends on the laws where one lives) of 9mm. can be comforting as well. I do carry spare ammo.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts