Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

im just starting in the world of reloading (using my mates press) and looking for some good recipes.

the last batch i did was

4.1grain Winchester 231 powder with frontier Round nose 124 grain CMJ projectiles.

i havent had the chance to chronograph them, but they seem to work quite nicely in my clubs Glock (havent got my own firearm yet)

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Hi all,

im just starting in the world of reloading (using my mates press) and looking for some good recipes.

the last batch i did was

4.1grain Winchester 231 powder with frontier Round nose 124 grain CMJ projectiles.

i havent had the chance to chronograph them, but they seem to work quite nicely in my clubs Glock (havent got my own firearm yet)
Do you know the Hodgdon load data website? Hodgdon Reloading | Home 9mm, 124gr has 16 powders with recipes in the Hodgdon/Win/IMR group

4.4 is the max for 231 according to the site at 1037 fps iirc. A good range load - not a hottie. 9 has a LOT of options!!!

Are Alliant and Accurate powders distributed in Australia? They both have great on-line load data sites as well. An easy Google for each!

The 1911 in 9mm should be fun in steel - fast paced game that it is!! Single action, accurate - ping, ping, ping!!!

I hope to see gun pics soon!! :cool:

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
we can get Alliant Unique powder here. my mate has some and says it is a good powder but due to the large size flakes it doesnt measure consistently in the powder thrower. its ok for larger magnum type loads where you are using > 10gr but in 9mm at 4gr .1 gr will make quite a difference.

gun pics wont be too soon, i dont have one. im just using club guns for the time being.

another popular powder here is the ADI ap70 and ap50. i have some ap70 but havent used it yet

·
Registered
36,085 Posts
we can get Alliant Unique powder here. my mate has some and says it is a good powder but due to the large size flakes it doesnt measure consistently in the powder thrower. its ok for larger magnum type loads where you are using > 10gr but in 9mm at 4gr .1 gr will make quite a difference.
gun pics wont be too soon, i dont have one. im just using club guns for the time being.
another popular powder here is the ADI ap70 and ap50. i have some ap70 but havent used it yet
Unique Is a very good candidate for using a dipper.
in 380 and 9 MM there is to much variance in the light loads for me to use a powder measure, while home made dippers work great and are dead on accurate very throw, or dip as the case may be.
I prefer Hp-38 or Win 231 for the metering problem with unique.

·
Registered
36,085 Posts
My favorite is HP-38, 4.0gr., OAL 1.130" for 125gr. LRN.
Hodgdon Reloading | Home
I use 4.9 grs Hp-38/ Win 231 with 115 grain plated R/N. at 1.125 -taper crimp.-not a powder puff load!
Don't share full house self defense loads as you need to work up your own for your gun.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
4.12GR of W231 and 124gr PRN is exactly what I shoot in my CZ75b. Work perfectly and the CZ has a heavy slide.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
4.12GR of W231 and 124gr PRN is exactly what I shoot in my CZ75b. Work perfectly and the CZ has a heavy slide.
yeh, my mate used the same recipe in his CZ 2012 orange and had no FTE or FTF issues either. how do you think it would go in a STI spartan 1911 with a factory recoil spring. my club has one but the last time i used reloads on it it had FTF issues due to the heavy spring. wasnt sure of the load i was using cos it was my mates ammo. ive been using the clubs glock since then but would much rather user the 1911.

My favorite is HP-38, 4.0gr., OAL 1.130" for 125gr. LRN.
HP-38 is the equivalent of ADI AP50 here in australia, my mate has a lot of that. might give it ago

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
It should work. One sure way to find out. 124gr is mid weight projectile and W231 is a nice fast burning powder. I bet that STI it runs it fine.

·
Registered
36,085 Posts
It should work. One sure way to find out. 124gr is mid weight projectile and W231 is a nice fast burning powder. I bet that STI it runs it fine.
You didn't note if its a IV or a V model?
but the 5 inch V model should certainly work with it.
the only 9 MM that I have that is a bit finicky with powder actually is the Beretta PX4SC that has a 3 inch barrel.
Now as long as you use a powder that it likes it runs like a top, to slow and it will occasioanally not cycle properly.

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
Hi Zorba, we don't find ADI powders here in the USA with the exception of Trail Boss. ADI has licensed Trail Boss to IMR (now Hodgdon) which they manufacture here. Trail Boss is excellent for lead bullets, something that should be avoided your clubs Glock. Just remember, listen as you squeeze the trigger. If it doesn't sound right or fails to fire, stop and check the pistol out. A bullet may still be in the barrel and your next shot my make the barrel explode.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
there is a website somewhere that has a list of powders and what the equivalents are in other brands. i cant seem to find it tho.

the spartan is a V but it seems the recoil spring is quite stiff which is why lighter reloads dont seem to work with it. next time i go out ill run some through it to see how it goes.

·
Super Moderator
40,475 Posts
115 gr LRN 4.4gr Bullseye right around 1100 FPS from Taurus PT-99
124 gr LRN 3.9gr Bullseye right around 1000 FPS from Taurus PT-99

Both are extremely accurate I prefer the 124 gr load it works great in both the PT-99 and the CT9 G2. Debating on whether to try the extreme plated bullets in 9mm or stick to the lead.

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
3.6 gr of IMR PB + Berry's 115 gr plated round nose hollow base

very nice target rounds, easy-peasy to load...

Made a homemade dipper out of a trimmed 7.65 browning (.32 ACP) brass by cutting it down a bit with a copper pipe cutter, using the chamfer tool and some fine grain sandpaper to smooth it out, tied some wire around the extractor groove and clamped onto the wire with a pair of forceps...Voilà... Powder dipper

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I use the federal primers. The CCI ones are recommended to not be used in the press i use.

·
Administrator
17,667 Posts
So many loads to list!

My all time favorite 9mm loading for Winchester Super Target Powder (WST) is for the Berry's 124 grain Plated Flat Point loaded to 4.8 grains for 1130 fps. OAL = 1.063 inches
I consume about 5000 rounds of this load every year or so.

Another favorite load is 5.0 grains of Alliant Green Dot under almost any generic 124 grain FMJ. OAL=1.15 inches Velocity runs 1150 fps or better. This load runs my 1936 vintage Luger Pistol very nicely whereas slower powders do not. This load will also run a Sterling Mark II SMG.

Surplus 115 grain JHP, 7.0 grains of Hodgdon HS-6 powder, OAL= 1.100 inches, Velocity runs 1200 fps or better. Note: Max load- Do not exceed

Surpus 147 grain JHP, 5.4 grains of Hodgdon HS-6 Powder, Velocity runs 950 fps. Note: Max Load

Loads using Alliant Red Dot Powder

88 - 90 grn JHP, 5.4 grains, Velocity runs 1420 fps or so
CCI 100 grn JHP, 5.3 grains, Velocity runs 1300 fps or better
Any generic 115 grain FMJ, 4.6 grains, OAL=1.135, Velocity runs about 1150 fps - Note: Max Load is 4.8 grains for 1180 fps or so.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My first reloads for my 9mm was a big failure. Whenever I start a new load with an unknown powder (to me), I always split the range between min and max. I used 700X 4.4 grains pushing a 124 grain hard cast round nose. I had about a 50 % failure rate with ejecting as the slide was not coming back fully. The other 50 % ran great with no issues. I took the remainder apart when I got home and measured all the charges and found a huge range of loads. It all comes down to me, for not measuring every round. I normally check every ten, BUT, because this powder is such a large flake, I learned it doesn't meter very well compared to my regular powders. My bad

1 - 20 of 21 Posts