Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As you all know I am about to bring home my Ruger P95 and she is a beauty(to me at least) I haven't named her yet, But thats not why I started this post, I decided that the gun buying sickness has gripped me and I am going to probably have it as long as we still have rights...I know, I know I just bought the Ruger P95 But I need a new goal to work toward and save for now that this one is taken care of. Here's the thing I don't want her to be alone and I still need to cover more needs like Conceal Carry, Home Defense, and a BUG... I really want a Taurus, but the Question is really what do I want to be known for? Diversity or Similarity in weapon choices and ownership. Here are some of the ones I have been looking at.

1. Ruger P89 which is no longer made, but is a really nice one and I am fond of the P series.

2. Ruger LC9 its smaller but still has some weight and is a really accurate gun to have such a short barrel.

3. Ruger SR9/SR40 I had a chance to fire this one too and it was pretty smooth and was very recoil friendly my only observation was that it wasn't as accurate after 12 yrds and even the range officer noted that as well that the other guns I tried were a better choice, but being a Ruger guy I had to consider it as a possibility, I also thought that the muzzle flash was kinda more noticeable(brighter and louder) than the other ones I tried.(I dunno if that makes a difference in my decision process)

4. Taurus PT945 its a bigger caliber and is one of the nicest looking guns I have ever held, but the trigger is much stiffer and will take a lot of getting used to.

5. Taurus PT809,840,845 I have held all 3 and they all seem about the same except for the caliber and mag capacity, the trigger is probably the smoothest I have tried.

6. Taurus PT1911 with all the positive talk about this one I decided to look more closely at it and saw some very cool Youtube videos, I held a mock one made for holster fittings in a gun shop in Cleveland,OH and I know its not acurate on weight and couldn't pull the trigger but still it was an ok fit in my hand, They didn't have any in stock because they had a sale on them for $440 as well as the PT92 at $350(Forgot the name of the shop, but if I find it I will add it in this thread)

7. Taurus PT709 Now I have heard a lot of pissing and moaning about this one on having to have it repaired for ejector, feed, and mag problems among other things. I have seen many loose faith in this one, but it was a nice weapon to hold and if the price was right I would give it a shot(pardon the pun, couldn't resist) so I really don't know, but its in the list.

8. Taurus 24/7 OSS 9mm or 45 ACP I want one badly but its a bigger gun and I couldn't really carry it every day.

9. Springfield 1911 45 Compact is one of the nicest guns I have ever held it fits in my hands like a glove, also with so many options on backstraps and other 1911 accessories I can make it what ever I want, also it has more conceal-ability than the the other guns on the list except the LC9 and PT709.

10. Sig Saur P239 is another very nice gun that I held and the grip is a bit different, but as far as it goes my Sheriff buddy swears by its reliability and extremely fast reset. In 5 or so seconds I saw him clear a clip at a target and hit 8/8 in a 3" group at 12 yards and I don't think I have ever seen proficiency like that in my life. So it peaked my interest.

11. Springfield XD9 3" OD Package this gun was pretty light weight and had a ton of stuff in the package extra mags, clip holder, Fobus tactical holster, and tons of other goodies, Now this was $475 and he said he'd throw in 100 rds of federal personal defense 9mm ammo.

12. Kahr K40 Polished Stainless 3.5" barrel in 40 S&W now this one was nice and theres a few striker fire ones in the list but I would prefer an external hammer (more nostalgia than anything) but I had a chance to fire one at the range and it was very smooth, but did have more kick than I thought it would and that was my only complaint that my wrist hurt after 5 shots..(could have been my stance though)

So thats the list, its not all of the ones I am looking at buying but these were the brands I like and that I have touched and held and some I fired.

As always I am open to suggestions and input. I am not looking to buy right away but within the next 60 days for sure...

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
I can't help but vote for the 945 myself. Once that trigger breaks in, it one of the smoothest .45's i've ever shot. Mine has a ported barrel and has less recoil than my P-64, that 9x18 beats my hand up. But at the same time, you can never go wrong with a 1911. Even the crappy GI sights make mine way more accurate than it should be. Gotta stock up on ammo in the morning for more break in rounds.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't help but vote for the 945 myself.
Well its one of my main ones I am looking at, but I can't get that stiff trigger out of my mind. How many rounds do you think it will take to break in the trigger and get used to it?

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
It took me about 200 rounds to get that trigger pull right, but i couldn't even tell you how many dry fires i've put through it on snap caps. I started drilling myself to get the trigger pull down in DA balancing dimes behind the front sight. The pull from half cock would probably be more to your liking, since the decocker drops the hammer there after racking a round into the chamber. The SA pull however is pretty darn nice if you have no problem going cocked and locked.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No I haven't I been looking at names tho trying to pick something creative that would be different from the usual Betty's, Betsy's, Bertha's, Maggy's and so on. I think I will get a better idea once I am holding her and have spent some time with her.

·
32,481 Posts
Let me take a shot at this starting down your list one at a time.

Ruger P89: Built to take the place of the P85 that had some teething problems that resulted in the P85 II. Then came the P89. Full size service pistol. Built strong. The longer barrel gives you a bit more velocity and sighting plain. Makes a great house/car overall gun.
Holsters are still made. Harder to hide for CCW carry. No CCW carry, no problem,no foul. Should be a reliable pistol. As with any of these if they are used have a acreditted gunsmith check them over.

Ruger LC9: Can't speak as to experience with them, but reviews are postive all the way around.
Does not have a dual recoil spring system like the PT709. Might not be a deal breaker for most. Decent cartridge and level of power over .380 ACP pistols. A bit bigger than the .380s, but not by much. Easy to hide.

Takes time,experience, and more dedication to master because of its size.

Ruger SR9: If that one did not float your boat try another one if you can. Or try the SR9c model. The C model can take full size SR9 mags. It's easier to shoot (for me anyway) and have had no problems with it. Combat Accurate at 25 yards.

I've got both models and both work well for me. No problems. The larger model might just be a "not for you" model. No harm,no foul.

Taurus 945: You've got the right idea for you there. No experience with those, but the membership finds them to be a good pick. Again, if it does not fit you well go to something else. .45 ACP is excellent cartridge.

I've got a Ruger P97DC in .45 ACP and looking at the Ruger 345. The 345 has good ergonomics to fit most hands and has a bit longer barrel to get the most out of the .45ACP.

The Taurus 809 and kin: Seemd from what you say as excellent choice. Caliber choice is up to you. I'm a 9x19 man for a number of good reasons, but the other calibers are fine picks as well. The 800 series has the outside hammer which you like. So do I. Strikers have been known to have a little less energy to whack hard primers or ones without lead stefanate in them. Hammer guns have had more success in this area.Hold more ammo than other types.

Taurus PT1911: Easy to learn the manual of arms and get first bullet hits where you want them. PT1911s have everything on them that the high end models have at a significant savings. Accurate,durable, and a great buy.

Taurus PT709: Own one and have no problems. Accurate out to 15-25 yards for me with the 124gr. rounds. Has double recoil assembly that takes a lot of felt recoil out of the equation. More so than for the Ruger LC9. Give a try for rental if you can. If not try a snap cap fire if the clerks will let you do that. If you have misgivings then try the LC9 first.

Taurus 24/7 OSS. Nice and a great gun. Thing is are you going to have a lot of use for such a gun? If so no problem.
I'll let the OSS people speak for this model, but the archives are chock full of success stories. Carries plenty of ammo.

Springfield 1911s: Worth every bit of money IMHO. Prices are higher than most PT1911s though. Not written in stone. Stay away from the G.I. models as their sights are small. Could be wrong, but from what I've seen the Remington R1 is a better pick IMHO over a G.I model. If the Springfield models fit there is nothing not to like. Go for it.

SIG 239: Fine gun. Very reliable and worth the money. Easy for CCW carry and has a better barrel length than the PT709 or Ruger LC9. Can be used as a primary carry piece. Regular DA/SA semi-auto and all its pros and cons.
I own 3 used SIG 225s. Great guns. Same can be said for the 239. Pay a lot of money, but worth it.

Springfield XD9: Own one of these. Not the Dm model. Mine is a 4 incher. Not the compact. It has excellent ergonomics for my small hand and short fingers. Combat accurate and little recoil. Like the gun. The compact can be made into a larger cartridge count gun to fit your needs if it is a Dm model.

Kahr guns: Are excellent high quality items IMHO. The poly models kick more than the steel frame guns. The long trigger pull takes some getting used to. Excellent reviews all around on these. K9 ,9x19 model will kick less than a .40.

Can't go wrong with these.

If you choose a cartridge and stick with that for most of your purchases you'll ease some problems.

.45 ACP pistols seem to have a push or nudge when they recoil and not harshly. Yes, they kick a bit more than a 9x19 gun, but are not normally punishing by any means. I do have a relative who shot practically nothing but .45 ACP 1911 pistols with all kinds of different rounds. So many he lost count over 30 years of shooting. He know has arthritic hands and wrists due to shooting .45 ACP and so much of it. He was a active bulleye shooter and IDPA competitor. Got into action shooting as well. This is not to scare you into becoming a 9x19 user. This is just an example. Many others may not develope health problems down the road. It's a case by case basis.

9x19 guns are normally milder in behavior than .45 ACP guns. They will stop the actor/s with well placed shots and with premium ammo. So will the .45 ACP guns. 9x19 will out penetrate .45 ACP rounds for the most part. 9x19 rounds are cheaper than the othe two calibers for practice and premium ammo purchases. Normally.

The .40 S&W is a excellent cartridge and has velocity and more "snap" recoil than the two others if all other things are equal. Dual spring recoil assembly guns have an advantage here in this caliber. Not punishing, but you'll notice the difference. 135gr-180gr. cartridges are excellent defense rounds.

There you have it. A condensed version. :)

Which ever gun you'll get the most use of and that fits you and your needs is the way to go.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Wow Qwiks, that was one of the best review responses I have seen in a while, Very non bias and to the point (That helps) I so far and pretty interested in the Springfield 1911, PT945, Ruger P89 and P97DC, and the SR9c (wished they made it in 45 ACP) also the PT1911 is looking really good too.. I know I picked some really good choices and I want them all really, But I am beginning to think I am a 9x19 guy as well because I have so many 9mm ammo choices and at a cheaper price. I know I am gonna need lots of practice so if I kept all my guns in the same caliber it would be better.. But what about if I want more stopping power? I didn't see if that Compact Springfield 1911 came in a 9mm, it wasn't listed the one at my buddy Dave's shop is $495 I think but others I have seen in that same model are $650 and up just like a Sig P239 I haven't seen one of those under $675 and the P89 was used at $400, The cheapest NIB PT945 I saw was $485, I haven't seen any PT1911s in stock anywhere locally so dunno about prices, The SR9c was listed at $435, the LC9 was around $310,The Springfield XD9 I saw was $475, The Khar K series was $780, the PT709 was listed at $310, and the PT800s were all listed around $395(I know cheaper at buds) My budget for the next purchase is $425-$465, I have resolved myself to never go over budget on a gun ever.. It worked out with the P95 and I plan on continuing that success and make good decisions in this hobby... Although if I saved for 3 months at $250 a month I could pick almost anything on the list there, it depends really on if I see a good deal in the next 60 days to get the $465 into a nice piece and be happy with it, if not I will just save up as much as I can as fast as I can..

Note: Hardly any of my choices offer better concealment than the P95 I already picked, most are still that 4" barrel I really need something in a 3"-3.5" barrel for the next one. But I do prefer the 4" ones personally.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I think this is the Springfeild 1911 Compact I saw, but the finish looks a shade darker than the one I saw which was greyish...
PW9801L.jpg

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
My recommendation as far as what you are considering would be the 1911 first and the SR9c. Both have really sweet triggers and very manageable recoil. The 9mm is a lot cheaper to shoot, but the .45 is better in other situations. My favorite of the two is the PT1911.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Just a quick "CONCUR" with the post by Qwiks draw. I've been a ruger guy since the P85, through to the P95, and my EDC is the SR9C. You should have no troubles there. Other considerations that I would add, unless you're just looking to stock the safe, and occasional range trips, my theory has been to get models that A) Have similar fire controls ie. direction of Safety, trigger pull, etc. and B) If possible, compatibility of accessories ie. the P85 and P95 will share mags, sights, etc. I try to consolidate and minimize as much as possible. I have 1911's that fit and function the same and I don't have to 'search' for mags. I have the PT92 and 917 that share mags, and have same Safety/Decocker, to keep muscle memory. I got the Sig P238 (while an 'orphan'), it is basically a mini-1911 ie. same Safety, single action trigger. I'll probably get a second 24/7G2-45 also. Except for the Sig, all have ambi controls, as I like to practice, and have the option to carry 'lefty'. Everything gets range time at least once a month. I might have a more 'utilitarian' view, but there might be some things for you to consider. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Just a quick "CONCUR" with the post by Qwiks draw. I've been a ruger guy since the P85, through to the P95, and my EDC is the SR9C. You should have no troubles there. Other considerations that I would add, unless you're just looking to stock the safe, and occasional range trips, my theory has been to get models that A) Have similar fire controls ie. direction of Safety, trigger pull, etc. and B) If possible, compatibility of accessories ie. the P85 and P95 will share mags, sights, etc. I try to consolidate and minimize as much as possible. I have 1911's that fit and function the same and I don't have to 'search' for mags. I have the PT92 and 917 that share mags, and have same Safety/Decocker, to keep muscle memory. I got the Sig P238 (while an 'orphan'), it is basically a mini-1911 ie. same Safety, single action trigger. I'll probably get a second 24/7G2-45 also. Except for the Sig, all have ambi controls, as I like to practice, and have the option to carry 'lefty'. Everything gets range time at least once a month. I might have a more 'utilitarian' view, but there might be some things for you to consider. Hope that helps.
Well those are good concerns, I didn't really consider the muscle memory and matching up controls and accessories, which would save me a "Learning Curve" and money by not having to buy a bunch of extra stuff.. I am really sweet on that Springfield Compact 1911, The PT945 (I really wish I could get one just like the PT945 in 9mm though) and the Ruger P89 which is only slightly different from the P95 I got. Since I have a poly gun I would like to maybe have one with all steel construction. and 1911s fit that as well as the PT945.. tough choice since I chose so many good ones... I do have some time to make up my mind though its not like I wanna rush out and by the next one, I wanna choose carefully and save up enough not to be limited as much and to feel comfortable about spending on a second "Girl"...

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Quiks draw is knowledgeable, concise, friendly, and his posts always bring a wealth of information to the forum.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I got a PT909 which is just like the PT945 except it has a tactical rail (I think the 908 is identical without the rail). I just got this gun in November of 2011 on GunsAmerica from Robertson's Trading Post. It was NIB for less than $400 and I love shooting it. It's not a polymer framed gun so it is a bit heavy to carry and definitely too big for concealed carry. My next purchase is probably an PT809C for a CCW. Check out GunsAmerica.com or GunBroker.com and you may be able to find one of these.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got a PT909 which is just like the PT945 except it has a tactical rail (I think the 908 is identical without the rail). I just got this gun in November of 2011 on GunsAmerica from Robertson's Trading Post. It was NIB for less than $400 and I love shooting it. It's not a polymer framed gun so it is a bit heavy to carry and definitely too big for concealed carry. My next purchase is probably an PT809C for a CCW. Check out GunsAmerica.com or GunBroker.com and you may be able to find one of these.
Well I didn't know that they made a PT909 or I would have looked at that one, but as I have said in other posts the LGS's around here carry mainly 45 ACP guns and are kinda bias on that caliber. Your right a non poly gun would be heavier to carry. CCW I think is where I wanna go with the next purchase , but heck if I see a good deal on something I am not gonna shrug it off and miss out. Like I said I seem to prefer the 4" barrel, but I guess I should be thinking smaller and lighter... I am 30 yrs-old and a big guy though at 6'1 & 295lbs, I think I could handle a heavy side arm. If a 145lb 18 yr-old Army Private can carry an all steel gun on his belt, so can I... But I will check my ego and try and think practical..(Hope I didn't sound like an A-hole with the Army private statement, Totally not dissing our armed forces at all)

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
I got a PT909 which is just like the PT945 except it has a tactical rail (I think the 908 is identical without the rail).
Newer 945's have a rail on it, the 900 series as a whole received rails around the time 92's started getting them.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Forget your long list.

Just buy a Taurus 9mm PT111 Millennium Pro with my blessings. :)
I knew you would say that MDawg, and that's why I love this forum... No one beats around the bush and gets right down to it... Also the PT111 is on my list, but I chose the ones on this list because some of them are not made anymore or I have tried them and feel like I want to have them in my "Collection". That being said, Your vote is noted and respected and I will add a +1 on my gun sheet... Yes, I am a bit of an OCD person all my lists have charts with them and I am some what "anal" about making a choice... Thats why I posted this thread because even with all my "Research" I still can't make up my mind...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts