Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a PT92 that has a lot of rounds on it?

I have read that the Beretta 92 series is given a "service life" of a conservative 40-50,000 rounds, but with locking block replacement at 20,000 or so.

I am no fan of alloy frame pistols and was debating whether I should look into getting a PT92.

I had a Beretta 92f years ago but sold it........I loved how the gun felt and handled, but it never ran right and was a factory lemon........after numerous repairs I just sold it to a gun shop just to get rid of it.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Service life? It will last longer then you will. Maybe, just maybe your grandchildren will wear it out.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
This is anecdotal but did read posts from a guy on Beretta forum who claimed to have 100,000 + rounds through his 92FS with minor maintenance performed along the way. As Laker noted though, the PT92 would in all likelihood be able to be passed down to your grandkids. Locking blocks aren't too costly nor difficult to replace and as a side-note, the PT92 can use the same locking block the 92FS does.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Locking blocks aren't too costly nor difficult to replace and as a side-note, the PT92 can use the same locking block the 92FS does.
Thanks for this bit of information.:happy:

I just learned something new!:thumb:

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
Knowing that there's a lifetime warranty on them, i'm guessing it will last beyond Taurus producing the gun. So if they're still putting them out when you grandchildrensend it back in, it will outlast their grandchildren.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
We had a thread a while back that mentioned there are different generations of the Beretta locking block and that the latest is indeed the best. But my PT92 is bone stock from being bought used in the 90's and works just fine. I don't hove hundreds of thousands of rounds through her, but she has eaten her way through many boxes of WWB and lately she has chewed her way through many of my cast reloads. I really need to order a fresh spring for her and I guess a new locking block wouldn't hurt. Taurus is supposed to be bringing a parts order website along soon. Maybe I will put it to the test as soon as it comes up.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
A fella showed me a Ruger 92fs that had 1944 stamped into it. It looked like it had been left in the dirt a long time. He said he shoots it now and then. I don't doubt that or that it will last another long time.

I would expect the same from a Taurus 92.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Ruger never made a 92FS, that I'm aware of, and the Beretta 92FS weren't around in 1944.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have heard that Beretta locking blocks will fit the PT92 series.

I just have to get over my general disdain of alloy frame pistols..........I prefer steel and then polymer, I just never saw the advantage of alloy frames being used for full size service pistols.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
To answer the original post, I did.

It was a PT99 purchased in the 90s that I shot allot of rounds through. I can't tell you how many, but it was a serious amount, many thousands.

If the 92 is being considered, I will highly recommend it.

Mine was a total stud, no other way to put it. Nothing, including the locking block ever broke.

Here's a poll I ran on the locking block, hope you find it helpful.

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/p...8625-pt-92-99-100-101-locking-block-poll.html

Best wishes,

Lee

·
Registered
29,846 Posts
I doubt most on this forum could afford enough enough ammo to shoot a Beretta/Taurus M92 to unserviceability.

With proper maintenance, and occasional change of recoil springs (and locking blocking blocks if necessary) they'll pretty much run indefinitely.

The bane to locking blocks is lack of lubrication; the few broken ones I've worked with had high round counts and little lube.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Anyone have a PT92 that has a lot of rounds on it?

I have read that the Beretta 92 series is given a "service life" of a conservative 40-50,000 rounds, but with locking block replacement at 20,000 or so.

I am no fan of alloy frame pistols and was debating whether I should look into getting a PT92.

I had a Beretta 92f years ago but sold it........I loved how the gun felt and handled, but it never ran right and was a factory lemon........after numerous repairs I just sold it to a gun shop just to get rid of it.
Blow that off. Buy Taurus. You can't beat the awesome warranty. You can get all kinds of grips. I think they also offer a conversion kit also, in case you wanted to switch it to 22 cal for plinking. It's a win win.

·
Registered
10,781 Posts
I have 35K+ through my old PT92. It's still on the original locking block. However, I inspect, and lube it every time that I clean the gun. I replace the recoil spring every 10K, or thereabouts.

Military M9s shoot +P+ ammo. Larry Vickers was tasked with finding out why re-built M9s weren't fairing well in service. He found that, after about 75-90K, the frames were no longer in spec, causing reliability and accuracy issues.

So, shooting standard, or even +P loads, the guns should push well beyond 100K. Barrel life may not be that long, but the frames should last.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I doubt most on this forum could afford enough enough ammo to shoot a Beretta/Taurus M92 to unserviceability.
Yea no kidding, who wants to spend thousands on ammo when the gun itself was only $350.

·
Administrator
17,596 Posts
I have over 23,000 rounds thru my PT92 and it's still going strong. Have had three Locking Blocks and the third, which is in it, is a Beretta Second Generation Locking Block.

The ONLY service I recommend for high mileage PT92's is a new Main/Hammer Spring, Trigger Return Spring, Firing Pin Spring, and a Beretta third generation Locking Block Kit which contains a Locking Block, Pivot Pin, and Recoil Spring.

If you don't get a Beretta Third Generation Locking Block, another option would be a Wolff extra power 15 lb Recoil Spring. However, if you shoot mild Target Loads, the Standard 13 lb Factory Recoil Spring is called for. I currently run a Wolff 15 lb Recoil Spring in my PT92 with Factory Standard Ammunition as well as +P.

Reactions: Taurus_9mm

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
You think Taurus would re-finish my stainless one for free?

·
Administrator
17,596 Posts
You think Taurus would re-finish my stainless one for free?
Only way to know is to ask them. Call Customer Service and tell them how worn it is.

If just the Frame needs freshening up, I recommend just DuraCoating it. The Slide and Barrel can be Bead Blasted or polished by someone who knows what they are doing.

·
21,932 Posts
I bought my 1st gen. in 86 and lost count on rounds long ago. I put Pachmeyer grips on it
and nothing else. Had to replace the trigger bar a couple of years ago while my son was
shooting steel matches with it.

Pretty damn durable gun.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts