Taurus Firearm Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, through absolutely NO intention or action on my part......I am now the unhappy owner of a FULLY AUTOMATIC PT-145. Let me explain :

I went to the range this afternoon, to test loads for my new CC pistol. After about 70 - 80 rounds fired.....all of a sudden, the trigger stuck all the way to the rear of it's travel. I dropped the mag......and cleared the chamber. I then cycled the slide by hand a couple of times and got the trigger to return to it's normal (resting) position. However, from that point onward, the trigger would NOT reset to single-action mode - only DOUBLE-ACTION. Then, to make it worse.... I decided to test fire the gun again, to see if this was just a temporary glitch (maybe some gunk in the FC group). BIG MISTAKE. I inserted another magazine, dropped the slide.....and fired ONE round in double-action mode. When I released the trigger, the gun went FULL-AUTO......and emptied the mag that way !!!

Gee, how fun. (Notice the LACK of enthusiasm on my part.) Obviously, something had gone VERY wrong here. I immediately cleared the gun, packed up everything and headed home - after explaining and apologizing to the RSO's at the range. Technically, I am now a FEDERAL CRIMINAL - as I now possess an illegal machine gun. Oh joy.

I tore down the gun at home, still hoping for some stray bit of gunk in the fire control group. Nope. I quickly determined that the SEAR (part number 4.30 on the part diagram in the booklet that came with the gun)....did NOT drop at the end of the trigger travel, as it did normally (and should have). So, I thought, the sear must be broken, in some way. So, I pulled the "chassis" containing the FCG out of the plastic grip frame, to get a better look and examine everything closely. The actual broken part is part number 4.29 (on the diagram)....referred to as a "link". That is what this part is - it links the sear with a pin jutting out from the side of the "chassis" - and clearly the sear swings on this link, thus dropping at the end of the trigger travel to release the striker. A bloody $ .02 part !!!

And before anyone asks if the gun was clean....yes, it certainly was. I scrupulously clean all of my guns, after each range trip. A dirty action had NOTHING to do with this.

I have not quite figured out how the pistol could have gone full-auto, but I found this through testing (WITHOUT any ammo): The trigger stays in DA mode at all times. ONE "normal" (NON full-auto) shot can be fired.....but, AS SOON AS the trigger is released even slightly (less than 1/8").....the SEAR WILL DROP.....thus firing the gun again. However, even fully releasing the trigger does NOT seem to interrupt the FULL-AUTO cycling of the gun. I am NOT about to test the gun with any ammo in it - but that appears to be how it works now.

You know, I don't know that I'd have minded TOO much if the gun simply went DA only. But FULL-AUTO ??!! Obviously, NOT acceptable. Fortunately for me and the others at the range, I am an experienced shooter and was able to handle the full-auto f-up without killing anyone. But, I have to say - I am NONE too happy.

This thing obviously has got to go back to Miami. So, tomorrow, Taurus CS will get a call. I'll send it off.....and wait for it's return. Of course, Taurus will repair it - and it won't cost me a dime. However, such a HUGE F-UP over a g&%@^#ed $.02 part makes me have almost NO confidence in this pistol.

I intended to make this gun (after a proper test regimen and finding the right load) my main CC gun. Now, NO. NO WAY. I'll always wonder if that $.02 link will break again at any time......and cause havoc. So, when the PT-145 comes back from Miami.....I'll sell it or trade it (with FULL disclosure to the new owner). I really don't need this kind of BS in my life - terminal cancer is enough ! I'm going back to my revolvers.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Hey Kubelkampf...before you send your gun back...contact the Israeli consulate and tell them you got a new gun design for both military and civilian use...who knows you may become a very rich man ;)

Reactions: brojohn

·
Administrator
35,733 Posts
Send it back, and then I'll buy it from you for $150. Thats what I would offer somebody for a gun they don't trust anymore.

In other words, I've got a lot of confidence that Taurus is going to fix it and do so correctly. If you can't trust the gun after they do, I'd be happy to take it off your hands.

Reactions: Gregg Gose

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I'm sorry to read this about one of Taurus' most popular compacts.
Yes, Taurus will fix it, and may find something else as well. Those parts don't break often.

I was gonna offer $160 just to bug TexasTaurusGuy but I have more than enough .45s already.

·
Registered
29,963 Posts
Don't give up on the fine PT145.

Rolls Royce and Rolex both have repair centers. :D

Because anything man made can break. ;)

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Good work keeping the business end pointed in the right direction - a lot of folks probably wouldn't even have been able to hang on to it. I just did a full disassembly on my 145's lower, and I know the link you're talking about. It's a tiny part, and it's critical. It's also a genuine biatch to install correctly. I wouldn't be surprised if the post broke off the sear, or the link managed somehow to wiggle it's way off the post (which should be impossible). Either way, back to Miami for that little fella.

If it's a parts failure, I'd let them fix it and do some testing with only a couple rounds in the mags. If they don't find broken parts, I'd want a new mini frame or a new pistol. If a mimed part broke (again, most likely the sear) I'd probably give it another chance at EDC after it successfully digests 2-300 rounds. The fact of the matter is firearms are little machines, and sometimes they break. Some breaks is worse than others, and this one is about the baddest of the bad - other than having one blow up in your face. I think the chances of you experiencing the same problem twice are pretty remote, but I certainly understand the 'once bitten twice shy' syndrome.

·
Registered
9,208 Posts
My first question is whether this gun was NIB or used? If it was used i can understand a problem developing after a number of rounds. Who knows how many rounds a previous owner put through it, especially if it was sitting in the LGS counter.

If it's new, then you did the right thing by sending straight back to Taurus. No matter what, they'll make it right. Whether it's a repair of this gun, a replacement of the gun with the same model or another one comparable in price, or as a final solution simply buying back the gun. If that part wore out prematurely, then there has to be a good (though bad) reason why.

Personally, i wouldn't give up on the gun yet. There isn't a thing you can buy made by man that will be perfect, which is why almost every major purchase comes with a warranty of some term. When a company is willing to take care of that product forever, no matter who owns the gun, i'm willing to step up to the plate and call them on every bit of that. If a problem comes up with any of my Taurus, Hi-Point, or Armscor weapons, i want to see them fix my gun and get it back to me in good working order.

Hopefully you'll get yours back and send a whole lot of lead downrange, it would be a shame to get rid of a perfectly good gun fresh out the shop. We don't do it with the cars we buy, and a few tons of steel traveling at high speed can have equally tragic result as a firearm.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Sorry to hear yours had that problem but Taurus will do it right for you. My PT145 had the chipping on the muzzle and Taurus replaced the barrel for me in 10 days. It's been great after that.

·
Premium Member
17,735 Posts
I'm surprised it fired a full magazine on full-auto. Usually the natural acceleration of a semi-automatic that goes full auto causes a jam pretty quickly. Weapons designed for full auto fire usually have a means to control the rate of fire, but a semi- gone full- usually has a rate of fire that climbs with each round fired.

I've witnessed four handguns do this. Usually they are 1911's with an amateur trigger job. One was an older Beretta Brigadier. None were Taurus.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Good work keeping the business end pointed in the right direction - a lot of folks probably wouldn't even have been able to hang on to it. I just did a full disassembly on my 145's lower, and I know the link you're talking about. It's a tiny part, and it's critical. It's also a genuine biatch to install correctly. I wouldn't be surprised if the post broke off the sear, or the link managed somehow to wiggle it's way off the post (which should be impossible). Either way, back to Miami for that little fella.

If it's a parts failure, I'd let them fix it and do some testing with only a couple rounds in the mags. If they don't find broken parts, I'd want a new mini frame or a new pistol. If a mimed part broke (again, most likely the sear) I'd probably give it another chance at EDC after it successfully digests 2-300 rounds. The fact of the matter is firearms are little machines, and sometimes they break. Some breaks is worse than others, and this one is about the baddest of the bad - other than having one blow up in your face. I think the chances of you experiencing the same problem twice are pretty remote, but I certainly understand the 'once bitten twice shy' syndrome.
====================================================================================

It IS the "link" (part no. 4-29) that is broken. It broke right across the (lower) hole which accepts the pin jutting from the frame (or "chassis" as I call it). In other words, it broke right at the weakest point. No surprise there. As far as I can tell, the sear itself is OK, as is the upper pin (on the sear) which retains the link. The springs are OK. The link is no longer in contact with the pin, but has rotated forward, so that the lower (broken portion) now sits against (but not bearing on) the front side of the pin.

As to why the gun went full-auto, I now have a theory. Without the link to both direct the (vertical) movement of the sear and to maintain it's position, relative to the striker "hook".....the only thing holding the sear up to contact the striker "hook" was/ is the relatively weak sear spring (part no. 4.31). That is not, in my estimation, strong enough to hold the striker in the cocked position. So, the striker popped over the sear.....and drove forward. Since the trigger was toward the rear of it's travel as this was happening.....and the full-auto event was initiated as the trigger came forward slightly to the reset position (for SINGLE-ACTION mode), obviously, the release cam for the striker safety (located on the trigger bar) was still in position to free the striker. Voila, full auto. I haven't quite figured out how the gun STAYED full-auto (until the mag was empty)......as it seems likely that the event would have stopped as soon as I released pressure on the trigger. The obvious answer is that the trigger must have stuck to the rear - thus keeping the striker lock (safety) disabled. I cannot say - I was otherwise occupied at the moment.

For the one who wondered : The gun (was) purchased BRAND NEW by me, in my hands only a bit more than two weeks. With the rounds I put through it yesterday (before the "big event")....I have roughly 450 rounds or so through the gun. Perhaps I wore it out, huh ?

A word to all who seem to think this event a big joke.....as evidenced by the cavalier offers to buy the gun, etc.......you guys can go SOAK YOUR HEAD. What, are you people still in high school ? I thought I was dealing with adults here. People COULD have been injured or killed, if not for the fact that I reacted to keep the muzzle under control. I don't think it terribly funny, myself. I bloody guarantee that you wouldn't think it funny - if it happened to YOU.

Finally, a technical point occurs to me. This would have NEVER happened, if the PT-145 was a DA ONLY pistol, as it was, I believe, in it's earlier form. If the striker needed to be cocked by trigger movement, rather than being cocked by the movement of the slide.....then the full-auto condition could NOT have occurred. Seems like Taurus bungled this bit of design. Or, at least, they only provided a weak means of keeping the operation of the gun under control.

·
Administrator
35,733 Posts
The attempt at humor wasn't directed toward the sear issue. It was directed toward your childish tantrum about the gun and never being able to trust it again. Have you ever had a car break down on the side of the road? Did you immediately have it towed to a dealership and just trade it in? I wish I had that kind of money do do something like that....but the realistic answer is, you get your car fixed, correctly, and you move on. After the correct parts are installed, and you drive it for a couple hundred miles, you don't even think twice about it again, most of the time.

I'll suggest that you give your posts a little more thought before you start kicking the floor and sucking your thumb. And if you ever tell anybody here to suck one again, you'll be the one on vacation.

·
Super Moderator
21,940 Posts
Once was enough for me he got what he wanted. About the time he gets his gun back he will be returning from vacation to be a little kinder or not its his coice.
THIS IS THE STUFF YOU WILL NO GET AWAY WITH ON THIS FORUM!!!!

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Finally, a technical point occurs to me. This would have NEVER happened, if the PT-145 was a DA ONLY pistol, as it was, I believe, in it's earlier form. If the striker needed to be cocked by trigger movement, rather than being cocked by the movement of the slide.....then the full-auto condition could NOT have occurred. Seems like Taurus bungled this bit of design. Or, at least, they only provided a weak means of keeping the operation of the gun under control.
You could always make it DAO. Just remove the sear pin, sear, sear spring, link pivot, and link (what's left of it). There's a little upside-down ramp that's pinned in on the right side (just opposite the ejector), and that's the thing that makes the trigger bar dip down in it's last bit of travel. Should work exactly the same way as it does on a second strike, only without the SA capability.

You might check to make sure your firing pin block is functioning correctly too. With the slide off push forward on the firing pin hook - it shouldn't move. Push the firing pin block down, and again push forward on the firing pin hook - it should go forward about 3/16", and you should see the tip of the firing pin protruding through the breech face. Release the firing pin block, and then release the tension on the firing pin hook - the return spring should move the firing pin back. Again try to push forward on the firing pin hook - it should be behind the block, and it shouldn't move.

When parts break, it's hard to tell what did what. Who knows what that little piece of link may have done to contribute to the full auto mode. Any way you slice it, I'd want Taurus to take a real close look at any pistol that decided to 'go uzi' on me. I don't think ten very rapid fire shots should do any damage, but I'd want them to look at it anyway since there were broken parts rattling around while it was machinegunning. I've got close to 2000 rounds on my PT145, and I just had the link out last week and it looked brand new. I'm thinkin' you just got a bad one, but if you don't like the way it works you can get rid of the offending part and still have a very usable SD pistol. Personally I find the double action pull on mine not at all objectionable, so it seems like a reasonable fix if you don't trust the link. JAT

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
I totally believed this happened to the OP. It happened to me years ago with an inexpensive Raven .25 Automatic. Only in 2 or 3 shot bursts, however. It was startling.I can only imagine what 10 rounds of .45 must've been like. The Raven mag only held 6 shots, as I recall. The gun was too inexpensive for me too worry about fixing it. I eventually had the local police department destroy it, believe it or not.

The PT-145 should not be written off so easily. It's a far superior weapon. I haven't fired mine a lot, but, so far, it seems like a "best in class" affordable semi-auto when compared to my other semi-autos in the same price range. I've told the story before, but my brand new Smith and Wesson 9mm totally, utterly and completely stopped functioning in the middle of my CCW qualifying class through absolutely no fault of my own.

My instructor was convinced, and I was convinced at the time, that I should get the gun fixed and dispose of it ASAP. But I eventually decided otherwise. There were too many other people out there who had good experiences with Sigma 9mm's and I didn't want to miss out on that, cuz I liked the feel of the gun. I sent the gun back, and it's worked fine since for 800 rounds.

I don't regret giving Smith and Wesson the chance to make the gun perform like it was supposed to do. Sigmas had a very bad rep when they were first released, but S&W had improved the design greatly by the time I bought one. Still, there were and still are a whole body of Sigma naysayers out there because they're looking for broken or malfunctioning Sigmas to validate their poor opinions of the gun.

Give Taurus a chance to make that gun perform like the great gun that it is. You deserve it.

Best wishes.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Problems like this can happen even in brand new guns. I have come across a Kimber Raptor II with a faulty sear right out of the box. It went full auto from the get go. The owner immediately sent it back for repairs and it has been functioning flawlessly since. I hope this issue with the PT145 is addressed and no more problems arise after.

·
Registered
28 Posts
In defense of the OP, he NEVER told anyone on here to "suck" anything!!!!!!!! He said go soak your head, not exactly a profane statement if you ask me. He was a little rude, and I think he misunderstood the posters attempts at humor. They were not making light of the "event". I do think the moderators statements and punishment was a little harsh, as he/they misread his statement.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.