Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Series "A" TCP Problems

About three years ago, I had FTF and FTE in a TCP I had purchased used. It was a Black frame and SS slide with the "phone case" holster, that looked nothing like a phone case.

I called up Taurus and was issued a RMA# and emailed a shipping label.

Two weeks after the TCP was sent in I received an email wanting a phone conversation. I called and was told I could get a newer TCP since it was cheaper than to do all the upgrades to it! I had my new TCP738 in hand in shortly after wards.

I would say the total amount of time was under a month.

Lefty

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
748 Posts
Great to see a positive and rapid response from Taurus. Waiting for the range report.

I had FTF and FTE in a TCP I had purchased used. I bought this pistol about three years ago.

I called up Taurus and was issued a RMA# and emailed a shipping label.

Two weeks after the TCP was sent in O received an email wanting a phone conversation. I called and was told I could get a newer TCP since it was cheaper than to do all the upgrades to it! I had my new TCP738 in hand in shortly after wards.

Lefty

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
That was three ago! I have edited the original post for clarity.

It's now ugly, with it's finish worn and scratched up from daily carry and monthly shooting. :)
If the TCP had better sights, I think I could out shoot my G42 with it.
I just hate seeing all the negative about Taurus and none of the good that they do.

My only regret is that I didn't buy two more when Rural King had them on sale during Thanksgiving. But as I like a bit larger 380, I was waiting on the Spectrum to come out.

Lefty

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
I had an A suffix that I sent in a long time ago, it started failing to extract and would drop a fired shell about halfway out the chamber. It came back with all sorts of new parts. Unfortunately I got rid of it. I moved to Illinois and at the time they did not have concealed carry so I traded off my carry guns for range guns. Of course two years later they passed concealed carry. I ended up moving back to Texas shortly thereafter.

I saw one at Academy the other day for $199. I almost bought it. I've got holsters and such.

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
Do you remember if the serial number was under 60,000? If so I bet Taurus did not even have the parts to repair it. There was a design change that required new magazines at that time. Anyway, glad Taurus took care of it properly for you and yes we hardly hear the good stories.

·
Registered
36,765 Posts
That was three ago!
It's worn and ugly finish from daily carry and monthly shooting. :)
I just hate seeing all the negative about Taurus and none of the good that they do.

My only regret is that I didn't buy two more when Rural King had them on sale during Thanksgiving. But as I like a bit larger 380, I was waiting on the Spectrum to come out.

Lefty

and three years ago you got the mailing label.
Now you get to pay for the shipping back to the mothership if the gun is more than 90 days from purchased date.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
and three years ago you got the mailing label.
Now you get to pay for the shipping back to the mothership if the gun is more than 90 days from purchased date.
No, the problem was three years ago.
I posted this because I'm showing that Taurus stood by their products. I'm impressed.

Now I had a Colt Defender that Colt WOULDN'T give me a RMA# or mailer. I sent it back twice on my dime and finally headed it off at a major loss.

Lefty

·
Registered
36,765 Posts
Congratulations then!
so exactly when did you return this weapon on Taurus dime???
just curious cause I have had to send 5 of them back to Miami.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Congratulations then!
so exactly when did you return this weapon on Taurus dime???
just curious cause I have had to send 5 of them back to Miami.
Sorry, I was not clear on my original post. I have since edited for clarity.

The TCP was purchased used and sent in about three years ago. I was just posting to give some people "hope". LOL

Wow! I thought I had bad luck with three in a row from three different makers; Colt, Ruger, and Sig.

If I may ask, what models? My stable of Taurus weapons have all been purchased within the last two years; PT809, 605, 85UL, and 709Slim. And all we're bought used from private sales. And there is nothing wrong with them. Just pervious owners were shamed into getting rid of them.

Lefty

·
Registered
378 Posts
If I am understanding this correctly, a TCP was purchased used about three years ago that was beat up and worn from someone else's daily carry and had ftf's and fte's. Three years ago the TCP was sent in for repair on Taurus' dime and after a couple weeks wait Taurus sent you out a newer version of the pistol....three years ago. ;)

EDIT: The worn and ugly finish must be the new TCP that they sent you three years ago that you daily carry and monthly range use. ;)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
If I am understanding this correctly, a TCP was purchased used about three years ago that was beat up and worn from someone else's daily carry and had ftf's and fte's. Three years ago the TCP was sent in for repair on Taurus' dime and after a couple weeks wait Taurus sent you out a newer version of the pistol....three years ago. ;)

EDIT: The worn and ugly finish must be the new TCP that they sent you three years ago that you daily carry and monthly range use. ;)
Awesome!!!
I have a new phone, and it sometimes wants to edit my posts when I finally post them. I went back a corrected some the wording. To help clarify.

Yes, I keep reading and hearing about how crappy Taurus are and I was wanting to put in a good story. I hear all the time,"do you really bet your life on a Taurus?" And I don't get it. I got this pistol when the Glock 42 was just hitting it big and all do my co workers and friends got them and had several problems with the G42s. But because it was a Glock, noone bad mouthed it. Maybe because they didn't want to admit to the fact it was sent out and wasn't fully bug free by Gaston. And they paid $475 for them! Yet my $160 TCP had a few issues and they say it's crap. Fanboys love that Perfection Flavor Aid!

And I'm not saying the G42 is a bad design. But it came from the factory with several flaws! And since went through several mods and changes. I carry one when the 605/SP101 is too bulky. I'm picking up my 2nd G42 today, since everyone is going to the micro 9s, the prices have fallen and they are dirt cheap. I picked it up for $275, private sale.

Lefty

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you remember if the serial number was under 60,000? If so I bet Taurus did not even have the parts to repair it. There was a design change that required new magazines at that time. Anyway, glad Taurus took care of it properly for you and yes we hardly hear the good stories.
Yes, the original one I sent in had a serial number that started with A3????. I remember that. :)

I would have just chalked it up to another small pistol with problems if hadn't already shot others at the range and they shot fine. So I knew the model was possibly a good one. And I'm glad I did. I rides in my Carhartt coat pocket all the time now. Only reason it doesn't go in my pocket is the Kel Tec 3AT has a clip that allows me to stick it in my pocket sans holster. Looks like a knife.

Lefty

·
Registered
36,765 Posts
Sorry, I was not clear on my original post. I have since edited for clarity.

The TCP was purchased used and sent in about three years ago. I was just posting to give some people "hope". LOL

Wow! I thought I had bad luck with three in a row from three different makers; Colt, Ruger, and Sig.

If I may ask, what models? My stable of Taurus weapons have all been purchased within the last two years; PT809, 605, 85UL, and 709Slim. And all we're bought used from private sales. And there is nothing wrong with them. Just pervious owners were shamed into getting rid of them.

Lefty
Glad to explain!
First that was my understanding and why I pointed out that by I think all reports, now Taurus pays return shipping for only 90 days, on any weapon that manufacture.
I am in full agreement that any manufacture may have a problem child with a particular weapon, its how the repair is handled that usually makes the reputation, a company normally doesn't keep a good or bad reputation from a few people but many that get the same treatment.
While on the subject Taurus also if replacing a weapon as opposed to repairing a weapon it had to go through a review board and that normally extended replacement times quite a bit--(many weeks!)
so you are saying that was not the case with you?
anyway my returned weapons were
1) 24/7 D/S OSS-- barrel replacement.
2) PT1911-- ambi safety seperation-- not properly repaired I changed out the safety myself later.
3) PT 1911 -- soft extractor-- it took a little over 9 weeks to get this repaired.
4) TCP- bad barrel-- barrel and ejector replaced.
5) 24/7 D/S-- extractor & spring replaced.
and of course I now own two 24/7 D/S that are on the recall list--but we won't count them as that would be 7 out of 10 that needed repair or replacement and that would really sound bad.
but in any case maybe I am just unlucky??
but I will say owning some 22-24 pistols I have needed repair on more Taurus brands than all the other brands total. .
I do own 2 PT1911 and a 1987 model 99 that I have had no problems form at all but thats not a very high average in my opinion.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Glad to explain!
First that was my understanding and why I pointed out that by I think all reports, now Taurus pays return shipping for only 90 days, on any weapon that manufacture.
I am in full agreement that any manufacture may have a problem child with a particular weapon, its how the repair is handled that usually makes the reputation, a company normally doesn't keep a good or bad reputation from a few people but many that get the same treatment.
While on the subject Taurus also if replacing a weapon as opposed to repairing a weapon it had to go through a review board and that normally extended replacement times quite a bit--(many weeks!)
so you are saying that was not the case with you?
anyway my returned weapons were
1) 24/7 D/S OSS-- barrel replacement.
2) PT1911-- ambi safety seperation-- not properly repaired I changed out the safety myself later.
3) PT 1911 -- soft extractor-- it took a little over 9 weeks to get this repaired.
4) TCP- bad barrel-- barrel and ejector replaced.
5) 24/7 D/S-- extractor & spring replaced.
and of course I now own two 24/7 D/S that are on the recall list--but we won't count them as that would be 7 out of 10 that needed repair or replacement and that would really sound bad.
but in any case maybe I am just unlucky??
but I will say owning some 22-24 pistols I have needed repair on more Taurus brands than all the other brands total. .
I do own 2 PT1911 and a 1987 model 99 that I have had no problems form at all but thats not a very high average in my opinion.
No, you got the two models that I was told to keep away from, the 24/7 and PT1911. I have handled several PT1911 and couldn't bring myself to buy any of them. For cheap Governments, I stick to RIA. And I have heard a good thing about the 24/7s, even from Rabid Pro Taurus owners.

Lefty

·
Registered
36,765 Posts
No, you got the two models that I was told to keep away from, the 24/7 and PT1911. I have handled several PT1911 and couldn't bring myself to buy any of them. For cheap Governments, I stick to RIA. And I have heard a good thing about the 24/7s, even from Rabid Pro Taurus owners.

Lefty
well we all have our opinions on choices.
Myself I think the 2 less likely semi auto Taurus to have a problem is the Mod 92/99 and the PT1911.
why I feel that way, first the post by members here concerning problems with different models.
second and mostly because they are copies of well known designs by other manufactures--IE- the beretta and the colt that have been around for years and years. so as I often say If a manufacture can't build a reliable 1911 after over 100 years of trial and error by other manufactures well then there is a big problem.
In both cases with MY 1911 they were simply errors that could have been caught by good testing before final production , good quality control. a soft extractor is simply a error made by the machine/tooling company that is making the steel, the separation of the ambi safety was the Swenson type of ambi they choose to use.
I will also say that the 24/7 was again a quality control issue, and they have done well over the years that I have owned and shot them except for the extractor /spring issue.
Gosh as to 1911 I have no idea what all brands that I own??
ria, Springfield, Colt, RIA, ATI, taurus, auto ordinance, para, Dan Wesson-- I am likely missing one or two.
now there is no comparison between the Springfield and the Colt, dan Wesson as to build quality but honestly all meet the everyday function and purpose of a firearm for protection.
again not trying to bash taurus just reporting on my actual experience.
in several instances IF taurus would have sold or just sent me the parts I could have saved them and me a lot of time and trouble, but they won't.
I still can;t understand how a company that repairs 1911 don't have a extractor in stock at all times???--hence the 9 week wait for a Brazilian extractor to get in stock.

Reactions: GreenWolf70

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think Taurus was plagued with bad alloy.
And yes, the proven design of the 1911 holds up. But you still have to have good steel. The several PT1911s I held and shot just felt "Hi Point"-ish. Really poor alloy.

Lefty

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
The PT-92 and the PT-1911 are both on my list of most reliable Taurus pistols. The PT-1911 is a 1911, plain and simple. I changed out the trigger shoe and grips, otherwise it has been exactly what I wanted. The 1911 is one of those guns that I acquired quite a bit of knowledge in pursuit of building my own build. The more I learned about the 1911 design, the more I appreciated my PT-1911. My PT-1911 is one of the early models and is forged steel, something you do not usually find at their price point. Unless there has been a recent change in the PT-1911, I would say you are sadly mistaken about the steel in a PT-1911. The forged frame of a PT-1911 is an excellent starting point for building your own custom 1911, and is certainly better than the vast majority of cast frames on the market.

Now, if you come upon a PT-1911AL, I would say jump all over it as it was the best and most accurately manufactured Taurus version of the 1911. They are easy to pick out as they are the only version with an aluminium frame. Everyone I know who owns one constantly rubs it in my face that I passed on them when they were on sale locally.

I have a model "A" 738 that I highly modified to be what I wanted in a small carry .380 Auto. When it developed the model "A" problems I sent it back. They respected my mods and did not give me any issues about them, but simply changed out the parts called out in their recall and returned my 738 to me. They could have easily said my 738 had been modified and left me holding the bag, but they did not. I have at least a half dozen, or more Taurus pistols, several have gone back for repairs, and I have never had a problem with Taurus CS. But I do admit it has been a number of years since I sent anything back to them, and I have NEVER had to send anything back to them on my own dime.

·
22,942 Posts
Great story! Thanks for posting it!

Kind of funny example of internet confusion too...

·
Registered
36,765 Posts
Now, if you come upon a PT-1911AL, I would say jump all over it as it was the best and most accurately manufactured Taurus version of the 1911. They are easy to pick out as they are the only version with an aluminium frame. Everyone I know who owns one constantly rubs it in my face that I passed on them when they were on sale locally.
Ribbett, Ribbett, Ribbett, chirp-chirp-chirp-- Deadly Silence!!!!---------:D

Attachments

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
As I was saying, all my friends with these PT-1911AL's, who I talked into buying them at $450, constantly rub it in my face that I passed on it for a PT-92AFS. I think MilProGuy sold his, or he would be chipping in about here. But a good number of my local friends bought them too. Hey, I should have gone with the 1911 for a $100 more. My mistake.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts