Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IMO the PT1911 is the best deal in 1911s out there. However there are two things I don't like on it: The safety on the hammer and the series 80 firing pin safety. Why I am removing it? Because it's not needed and because you can lose up to one pound on the trigger pull. Moreover I want a gun that's as close as it was originally designed by Browning. I really do not understand why Taurus decided to go with a series 80 and not 70.

Removing the safety will void all warranty so don't do it. If you want to still do it, you will need part number 876-011-780 from Brownell's. Instructions can be found here:

http://www.freepatriot.com/removeseries80.php

I'm getting rid of mine and putting a different hammer as well. I will post pics when done.

PS

One more thing...if you use your PT1911 for personal defense I'd suggest to do no modification what-so-ever on the gun.

I use my PT exclusively for target and competition shooting. I have a stock BUL M5 Ultra-x for personal defense (that's based on a series 70 ;)).

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'll be removing the Series 80 stuff very soon. I've already replaced the hammer. My PT1911 is strictly a range toy so I'm not worried about any legal ramifications from using it in self defense. For $4.25 and 15 minutes of my time, it's definitely a worthwhile modification.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Why the Series 80 stuff? To do a quick reminder, Taurus USA's President was an former Colt Vice-President. Then Taurus decided to break into the 1911 market, don't you think they took all that advice? As to the Series 80 parts... they are the ONLY effective anti-drop safety. Springfield just puts a stronger firing pin spring (more work when you pull the trigger). Kimber has the most convoluted safety approach... the Series 80 is a durable system.

If you are conscious about trigger pull, replacing the main spring with a light weight spring... or the series 80 parts with the titanium parts. AND everyone is right... pull the series 80 parts out and for whatever reason the gun goes bang and someone is shot... in self defense... a mishandled gun at the range... and lawyers will feast on you.

PS... read the accounts. It seems that the spacers that replace the series 80 leavers are much softer, so order extra to keep the sear from coming out of alignment.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I respectfully disagree. The series 80 safety was designed as a solution to a totally non existent problem. Taurus might have hired a former Colt executive but maybe they should have just resuscitate John Browning! Sarcasm aside, Taurus is the only manufacturer that decided to develop a new 1911 that was based on the series 80 and not 70. I'm a big fan of the original design that's been working just fine for the past 100 years.

I do drop 18LBS main springs on all my 1911s and bring the sear notch down to 0.018".

I will post the trigger pull results once done with the mod.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
While I may agree on the mechanical necessity... gun manufacturers have to live in the world of legal and legislative necessities where "drop safety", "locking mechanisms" and almost any other excuse will end up with either the shooter or the manufacturer, or both, before the court in a civil lawsuit.

I can understand wanting to build a target gun... especially when you can't buy the frame and slide for the price of the complete Taurus. Some guy here will need to remember that $500 for a gun and $300 of "up-grades" will get you pretty close to the going market for a new gun (you end up eating the up-grades)... if you need to sell the gun on the spur of the moment to pay for something else.

Just a word of observation in watching prices on 1911's from any brand... save the original parts... the upgrades tend to be give aways if you sell them.

PS... nicknitro71 is right on for someone looking for an easy/cheap way to lighten trigger pull. an 18 lb main spring is the way to go... notice that Wilson's sells the 18 as their target/competition springs

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The "junk" is out. I also installed a wilson combat hammer. The trigger pull was 5.5 LBS before now it's 2.25 with no creep. Now my PT has a better trigger than my Throphy Match.

·
Super Moderator
21,631 Posts
I was shooting with a fiend of mine at the local range and he let me shoot his compitition kimber I'm used to a 5.5 trigger and he didn't tell me he had around a 2lb trigger I went to do a double tap and my second shot was ah lets say up somewhere over the rainbow LOL. lession learnd!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts