Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be picking up a used pt1911. I believe it uses the series 80 fp block. If so can I just remove the plunger and spring in the slide w/o removing the levers in the frame? If you don't mind I don't want to start a Hatfields and Mccoy feud over why to keep it or not too keep it. I'm am just not a fan of it. Thank you.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
First thing is to say enjoy your PT1911, I certainly do like mine. As for the change it seems to me that there is more to it than that but I really don't know for certain. Hopefully someone with the knowledge will come along and help out.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
I'm probably going to do this with mine too...certainly makes reassembly a lot easier.

Reactions: darbo

·
Administrator
35,569 Posts
Does anybody know what brand single sided safety most closely fits the Taurus? I'd like to do this as well but I would like the least amount of fitting.

·
Administrator
35,569 Posts
By the way - I am posting a link to a sticky here for changing out the safety:

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/t...acing-ambi-safety-left-hand-thumb-safety.html

Unfortunately, there are a couple of pictures missing because Cimarron, who started the thread, passed away years ago and the pics are lost to history. If anybody has a picture or takes a picture that can replace the ones in that thread, please pass them along to me and I will fix the pics. Thank you.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
By the way - I am posting a link to a sticky here for changing out the safety:

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/t...acing-ambi-safety-left-hand-thumb-safety.html

Unfortunately, there are a couple of pictures missing because Cimarron, who started the thread, passed away years ago and the pics are lost to history. If anybody has a picture or takes a picture that can replace the ones in that thread, please pass them along to me and I will fix the pics. Thank you.
It's for a Rock Island but the principle is the same

I just picked up a Regular Wilson Combat extended and it fit with only a teensy bit of sanding for the cam to fit.

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
I bought a PT1911 slide and barrel from a member here, put it on the frame it fit best and took it to the range. It didn't take me long to figure out why there was no bang. Removed the plunger and spring from the slide and it works great now.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I just fitted a Klonimus (eBay) single sided safety to my PT1911 in about 8 file swipes on the new safety. Just don't be a fool with the grinder and you should be good to go. I too hated the giant and stiff ambi factory setup.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts