Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I detail stripped my PT1911SS a couple of weeks ago and managed to lose the firing pin plunger spring. So, I ordered a replacement Wolff spring from Midway. I installed it after work today and the trigger pull went to about 20lbs. I couldn't figure out WTF was going on. I stripped the slide again to make sure everything was installed correctly and as soon as I had the slide apart, my cat jumped onto my desk and knocked the spring off the desk onto the floor.

By total chance, while I was on my hands and knees scouring for the Wolff spring, I found the stock spring. I installed the stock spring and the trigger pull went back to a nice, light, crisp pull.

So, my question is: did I order the correct replacement spring? All of my other 1911s are Series 70 so I don't have anything to use as a comparison. The two springs couldn't be more different. Here is a pic of the two. Wolff on the left, stock on the right.

And, here's the package from the Wolff spring:

Thoughts?

·
22,058 Posts
Re: Series 80 firing pin plunger spring - Wolff vs. stock... WTF???

That appears to be a much heavier spring.

·
Registered
402 Posts

Airwrench, do you remember the old cop show "Barney Miller"? Upon hearing your response Detective Dietrich would've said "Your grasp of the obvious is staggering." ;) I think our new friend was trying to determine whether he ordered the proper spring or if Wolff mispackaged the one he got.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts

Series 80's are known to have heavier trigger pull than series 70.... I don't have any other S 80 1911s so can't tell you how long the spring is on other guns. But looks like Taurus overcame the heavy trigger issue buy using a very short/light spring. (btw you can always cut down the Wolf spring)

ps: I'm changing the last 3 letters of the title to 'WTH'... PG-13 rating. ;)

·
22,058 Posts
InfidelIllini said:
Airwrench, do you remember the old cop show "Barney Miller"? Upon hearing your response Detective Dietrich would've said "Your grasp of the obvious is staggering." ;) I think our new friend was trying to determine whether he ordered the proper spring or if Wolff mispackaged the one he got.
I have not heard anyone reference Barney Miller in years.

I would cut the spring down a little at a time until reaching the desired result.

·
Registered
402 Posts
airwrench said:
I have not heard anyone reference Barney Miller in years.
I guess the only thing I'm doing then is dating myself. I was just trying to get the thread back on topic.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same problem when I lost my factory spring and ordered a Colt replacement, I just cut it in half. Each in-spec spring = 2 Taurus springs!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts