Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to decode to serial number to tell the year it was made?? I thought the first 2 letters were year codes but cant find anything that specifies. Mine begins with "TC00"

It wont come up on the serial number finder on the Taurus site btw.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Go to Taurus's site and enter your serial number in their find my model. If it is not too new (2 - 3 months since manufacturing usually) it will tell you model, month and year it was made. If it is really new call Taurus CS and they can tell you.

Taurus International Manufacturing Inc - Find My Model

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did and nothing comes up. I was just thinking I read somewhere that the first 2 letters had to do with the month/year. Im just curious and also wonder what all had been changed on the OSS 9mm from when it was introduced till they discontinued it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The first 3 numbers are actually letters mine starts out NBO followed by 5 numbers. Hope this helps. I found out the O was a letter not the number 0 when I had a problem with my gun and CS let me know.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
1 Posts
The first 3 numbers are actually letters mine starts out NBO followed by 5 numbers. Hope this helps. I found out the O was a letter not the number 0 when I had a problem with my gun and CS let me know.
I have a similar problem, I need to document the production year of my PT99-AF, it does not come up on their site ,I have already tried to input both number , and letter combinations (TIF ,T1F)but they have told me that it was made in 1998. They however can not send me anything about when it was made. Who can give me a document for this, so I do not not have to surrender my hi-cap mag, or sell the gun altogether.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
That is interesting. Entering my 2 year old PT145 returned the correct model information, but my PT640Pro, purchased on the Black Friday deal at Academy returns no information.

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
If the gun is too new, it hasn't officially been entered into the consumer database. Taurus should have a record of it if you call customer service, but that's all you can do uless you don't mind waiting for an update. The finder can give you the information back to 1984, but the newer productions would probably be entered on a once a month basis i'm guessing. It's more economical to have the database updated monthly or even quarterly because the actual sales reports are made in the same intervals.

·
Registered
239 Posts
My 709 also doesn't come up on their web site but when I called CS they told me it was made this spring. Perhaps it's too new for their data base.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Comp,
I just entered the S/N's for the 2 OSS pistols I got and they both say they were mfr'd in 2010. One is a TBSxxxxx and the other is a TBPxxxxx. I think the letter prefix is related to model no. and the 5-digit number after is a numerical sequence no.; therefore, you can't look at it and get date info.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts