Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a Taurus 1911 commander in 9mm last weekend. I called Taurus because I wanted to buy a couple extra magazines. When they asked me for the serial number it came back a .45 in their computer. I had to send them photos of the gun and the stickers on the box to confirm it is in fact a 9mm. Long story short, they had me send it in to have their Smith check it. So what happens next? Anyone ever hear of this happening before?

·
Super Moderator
37,003 Posts
I picked up a Taurus 1911 commander in 9mm last weekend. I called Taurus because I wanted to buy a couple extra magazines. When they asked me for the serial number it came back a .45 in their computer. I had to send them photos of the gun and the stickers on the box to confirm it is in fact a 9mm. Long story short, they had me send it in to have their Smith check it. So what happens next? Anyone ever hear of this happening before?
That's a new one on me. I am surprised that these folks don't get in trouble with the BATFE.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Never heard of that. I don't have any experience with their 1911 models but I know the serial numbers are in two places on my PT809 and PT111. The barrel and the frame and both match.
You definitely got an interesting issue as that seems like an error made by the factory when completing the pistol and recording the info in their database. In this day and age you would think that the invoice sent to the shop would match the database.
You never said if it was a new or used gun as something done after it left the first shop could explain it.
With all the checks and balances in the gun sale process through at least the first retail buyer that seems difficult to believe it could happen.

·
Super Moderator
37,003 Posts
Never heard of that. I don't have any experience with their 1911 models but I know the serial numbers are in two places on my PT809 and PT111. The barrel and the frame and both match.
You definitely got an interesting issue as that seems like an error made by the factory when completing the pistol and recording the info in their database. In this day and age you would think that the invoice sent to the shop would match the database.
You never said if it was a new or used gun as something done after it left the first shop could explain it.
With all the checks and balances in the gun sale process through at least the first retail buyer that seems difficult to believe it could happen.
My PT 1911 is not near me at the moment, but IIRC it's got the serial number on the frame as well as the barrel also.

·
Registered
36,668 Posts
LONG, LONG ago in a galaxy far, far away--a Gun Store in McDonough, GA!
we had a Remington model 7400 come in, new in the box. serial number was correct but__ it was marked both on the box and on the weapon as a 30-06 (Which is what we ordered) but thankfully closer inspection (like a clerk chambering a round) revealed it was in fact a 270 caliber!
Called Remington, they got all excited ( i understand why) and had UPS do an immediate pickup (like 4 hours) and asked us to put it under lock and key until it was picked up.
we got a free case of 30-06 Remmy ammo for the trouble and of course a correct rifle from the distributor that we ordered it from.
only time i have ever heard of this happening.

·
Registered
27,567 Posts
As olfarhors intimated, this is a big problem for the manufacturer. It's bad enough when a discrepency between the paperwork and the firearm is discovered in the shop, it has to be corrected immediately. In your case, though, the 4473 recording a retail sale has been completed and must be retained. So it is not as simple as printing a new label or even swapping the gun out. Since it has been caught, it is not (in itself) a license-losing problem, but they need to file the correct forms to fix this.
Do not be surprised if the resolution is more difficult than you expect. You may get a different firearm and have to fill out a new 4473. If so, don't get upset, just go with the flow and enjoy your new gun.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Have you actually sent it in yet? If it were me, I wouldn't send it in for fear they'd not send it back but send a replacement in its place. Lots of good aftermarket magazines available by the way.

·
Registered
27,567 Posts
Have you actually sent it in yet? If it were me, I wouldn't send it in for fear they'd not send it back but send a replacement in its place. Lots of good aftermarket magazines available by the way.
It is a technical violation of the law. Since other parties are involved and have a vested interest in having it fixed, an attempt to keep the gun will see law enforcement involved. Not a good thing.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Seeing that it was their error not yours why should you be put out.
I would have asked they send the return label to your FFL along with a new correct firearm.
They should also send the 2 extra magazines along with a gift card to cover the FFL's fees.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
I purchased a new PT-140 G2 a few year's ago. The serial number on the box matches the serial number on the pistol.
The label on the box says it's a PT-111 G2.

Reactions: DeltaBravoKS

·
Premium Member
4,941 Posts
I purchased a new PT-140 G2 a few year's ago. The serial number on the box matches the serial number on the pistol.
The label on the box says it's a PT-111 G2.
Well, they are assembled in Brazil. Maybe they had trouble translating PT140G2 from Portuguese to English.

Oh, wait...

·
Super Moderator
37,003 Posts
They did cover the shipping. But that's it so far.
They should give you an email address to send your FFL receipt and they will mail a check.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts