Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taurus says to send my pistol in for repair by UPS or FedEx. Do I need to tell UPS or FedEx that it's a firearm in the box?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks NYPD in AZ for the help. I was just hoping to avoid the high cost of next day air shipping. Guess I can't.

·
Registered
276 Posts
thunderjohn said:
Taurus says to send my pistol in for repair by UPS or FedEx. Do I need to tell UPS or FedEx that it's a firearm in the box?
I have used UPS and they allow you to send your handgun at their cheapest air rate. Don't know about FedEx... never used them.

·
Registered
539 Posts
If you are in good with your dealer it might save you a few bucks to use them, just a thought. Also, if you don't have to send in your magazine don't do it just so they don't end up 'losing' it or forgetting to send it back. I have heard that Glock did not send a mag back that was sent in with a gun although I haven't heard that specifically about Taurus so I tend to follow that advice with any manufacturer.

·
Registered
127 Posts
When I sent my PT-92 to Taurus (which thier service department was great with me) I sent it with no mag. I got a mag back from them so I got a free one, I have heard that doesn't always happen though. I would send yours without a maga though. If the shop needs one, they have them ready.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
worthirt_99 said:
When I sent my PT-92 to Taurus (which thier service department was great with me) I sent it with no mag. I got a mag back from them so I got a free one, I have heard that doesn't always happen though. I would send yours without a maga though. If the shop needs one, they have them ready.
Good idea. Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have sent my PT1911 to Miami two times (still there from the last sending). USPS cost me $7.24, insurance for $800 was $7.85. My local gun dealer tipped me off to this and delivery took about a week. I asked the postal person about sending guns back to the manufacturer and was told that it is no problem (just unloaded). Thats the take on shipping from Georgia. I did not call Taurus either time prior to sending, just wrote a detailed letter each time to enclose with the pistol.
Sorry thunderjohn, a few days late for your purposes.
I sent it without the mag. maybe I'll get a free one.

Happy Shooting

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
What is required to mail a shotgun or other firearm to a family member?

Handguns may be mailed by a licensed manufacturer or dealer of firearms or an authorized agent of federal government.

Although unloaded rifles and shotguns not precluded are mailable, mailers must comply with the Gun Control Act of 1968, Public Law 90-618, 18 USC 921, et seq., and the rules and regulations promulgated thereunder, 26 CFR 178, as well as state and local laws.

If you don't have an FFL don't get caught shipping handguns through USPS. You'll be going away for a long time if they find out.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree with NYPD in AZ. I think you got some bad info at the post Office.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
4play said:
You can use USPS for sending a gun to the manufacturer, but not to a friend or relative.
The USPS told me that in all cases, firearms only go to a dealer from a dealer.
I had my dealer send it back for me. USPS

1 - 14 of 14 Posts