Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The title pretty much sums it up. I know that at one time, Taurus produced a PT-922. It was a 10 round pistol with a 6 inch bbl. It's replacement should be hammer fired and D.A./ S.A. as was the 922. The competition would be both the Ruger Mk 111, and the Browning Buckmark series. I'm not talking for Olympic use, but casual matches, hunting, and plinking.
B.T.W. I love my m96.

·
Super Moderator
40,475 Posts
Us .22lr fans have been asking for this for some time. Several threads on the subject. I hope Taurus sees this new one and considers it. I'll buy one.

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
Just make us a 22LR conversion kit for our PT92/99 and/or PT100/101. I have my credit card handy and will pay for it in advance. And no plastic mags either, metal mags please. I wrote Kresser a letter request this a few years ago. I got a nice letter back from him and a Black Polo Shirt with Taurus Logo.

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
Sign me right up! And I, too, love my M96's, M94's, M970's, and M990! :D

So you can understand when I say that Happiness is Always Having Enough 22lr!

·
Super Moderator
40,475 Posts
I brought it up to him when I met with him last December. He did mention people were requesting them.

·
Registered
31,758 Posts
I suspect Taurus would have to add another production line to produce a full sized .22 semi auto as all the guns they currently produce move off the shelves pretty quickly. Also, they would be in heads up competition with Ruger, Browning, Smith and Wesson and Beretta who already have some pretty good entry level pricing. I think that is why Bersa doesn't turn out very many Thunder .22's, they can sell the same gun all day long in the .380, but the .22's seem to sit on the shelves as folks typically favor the brands previously mentioned.

Maybe they might consider shutting down the PT .22 line to make a real semi auto.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Hard to beat out the Ruger Mark III.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
To break the hold that Ruger and Browning have on the market would require a quality (metal), accurate, reliable, affordable and aesthetically pleasing long term effort.

It would basically need to be a S&W 41 at a working man price.

·
Super Moderator
35,016 Posts
I"m really perfectly happy with my Mk 2 in this category. The competition is producing some FINE pistols, so Taurus would have a high bar to reach and I doubt the returns would be worth the investment.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
I have a S&W M22-A1, very accurate and reliable with a poor mans price tag....

Reactions: TheOldRedneck

·
Super Moderator
35,016 Posts
I have a S&W M22-A1, very accurate and reliable with a poor mans price tag....
Well, poor man's price tag compared to a 41, for sure. :D The Ruger Mk III can be had for a little over 300, not a killer, ditto the Browning Buckmark. That's the problem for Taurus, breaking into a market saturated with good guns from Smith and Wesson, Ruger, Browning, Sig, Beretta, etc and at very reasonable prices and trying to turn a profit to pay off the machinery investment. I just don't think it's gonna happen. No problem, there's plenty of good .22s to choose from. :D

They could try a niche .22, maybe something to compete with the Wather P22 and Ruger SR22. I love my little SR22, so reliable and 2" at 25 yards plinking accurate. No pretense of "target grade", but it's such a handy field gun and with adequate accuracy for that role. I put it in a pocket when I go fishing. There's often a nutria or something that needs shooting when I'm fishing, especially on the river. :D These little pistols have a lot more accuracy than the PT 22 Taurus sells now. They kind of fit the middle ground between tiny pocket .22s and full size plinkers like the Mk III et al and there's not much competition in that category, though the SR22 is a fantastic little pistol.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't own: Ruger: S.A. no exposed hammer. Beretta: S.A. no exposed hammer. Buckmark: S.A. no exposed hammer.
I do own: Mosquito: D.A./ S.A. has exposed hammer. Astra-Unceta T.S.-22: D.A./ S.A.has exposed hammer.
Want to own: Taurus PT-xxx: D.A./S.A. with exposed hammer. No damn plastic.

·
Super Moderator
35,016 Posts
I don't own: Ruger: S.A. no exposed hammer. Beretta: S.A. no exposed hammer. Buckmark: S.A. no exposed hammer.
I do own: Mosquito: D.A./ S.A. has exposed hammer. Astra-Unceta T.S.-22: D.A./ S.A.has exposed hammer.
Want to own: Taurus PT-xxx: D.A./S.A. with exposed hammer. No damn plastic.

Sounds like you really want a PT1911 and one of the .22 caliber conversions for it.

Reactions: TheOldRedneck

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I'm in the process of trimming a huge collection down to just the guns I will use and a few safe queens. Some of the first to go were the Smith, High Standard, and other upper end target 22's. They were sold or traded because Ruger mk 2 and some other brands that cost much less we're just as accurate and dependable. Taurus could be competitive in cost and quality. They make some accurate barrels and have not been afraid to get outside the box on design. Smith has their version of the Judge etc. The shortage of 22 ammo doesnt help. It would be a better marketing move with an abundance of ammo available

1 - 15 of 15 Posts