Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone explain the process you need to follow when you are selling your gun and having to ship it across state lines? I know a FFL needs to be involved but does one on both ends or what? HELP! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
977 Posts
You're in Texas?
Assuming he's a Texan too.
Meet the guy that has cash in McDonalds parking lot.
You give him the gun he gives you cash.
That's it and perfectly legal.
Crossing state lines for a handgun sale need FFl.

Other States have other rules.

AFS

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is going to be FFL and I am wondering the procedure for that and how that works.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
is there paper work if you sell a gun to someone no matter what? what if he is a gangbanger and kills someone? wont it come back to you? though ballistics

·
Registered
54 Posts
my rule is always have a bill of sell from the person with date and driver lic# etc as much as possible and NEVER I MEAN NEVER throw it away just for that reason cover ur butt..........

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
You can ship it without an FFL holder on your end, but Federal law mandates that the recipient be an FFL holder. So whoever buys the gun would have to pay the transfer fees to their FFL dealer that receives your firearm.

Hope that clears it up.

BTW---DO NOT ship USPS. Only UPS or FedEx overnight.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Just a general comment, I think some of the more repressive States (off hand, Jersey, Kali etc) might require an FFL at both ends so be sure to check your State regs.

This page is aimed at selling on Gun Broker but theres some info you might find helpful.
http://www.gunbroker.com/User/SellerTutorial.asp
edited to add: not the link I thought it was, the right link is in a later post of mine.

Steelheart

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
As NYPD in AZ said, DON'T ship through the post office if you're not a dealer. That is one of their
requirements that alot of people seem to misunderstand. They will only ship FROM a dealer TO a dealer. And I suggest you DON'T try and ship through the USPS without telling them it's firearm. Some have tried it, but if you're caught you'll be in big trouble. And no matter how you ship, you must ship it to an FFL dealer. Expect to pay a healthy fee to FedEx or UPS as they require overnight shipping of firearms. A FTF is always easier. Just get good ID and all the info you can.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
If its across a State line then you should use a FFL for the transfer. At a minimum I'd still want to see (and record) something that proves a background check. In Mn a Pistol Purchase Permit shows this for example.

Steelheart

·
Registered
959 Posts
I'm Turning on the LIGHT...<:))
*IMPORTANT ALERT*
STOP GETTING RIPPED OFF EVERY TIME YOU TRY TO SHIP A HANDGUN...!!!...<:))
http://deadbangguns.com/ShippingAlert.html

Check out the whole site~You can Buy Guns at ROCK BOTTOM Prices here also....

·
Registered
977 Posts
Doctor Veni:
if you're talking about a hand gun what you're proposing is NOT legal. If it's a rifle have a nice trip.

AFS

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
SgtKnuckles, thanks for the link. After reading it, it appears it is perfectly legal to ship a firearm via USPS.

NYPD in AZ said:
BTW---DO NOT ship USPS. Only UPS or FedEx overnight.
And to NYPD in AZ, I seem to remember a post where you said you you shipped a handgun via USPS and told them it was a 'paper punch.' Is my memory failing me?

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
It definitely WASN'T me who shipped a gun and told them it was a paper punch.

I've NEVER shipped a gun personally---always through a dealer with a FFL.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I just looked over the link I posted above and realized I should have posted this one:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Support/SupportFAQView.asp?FAQID=1118&NoCount=1
I would much rather trust what is posted on a reputable gun auction site than some place I've never heard of who's yakking about how some laws don't exist. Sounds like the same people who think you don't actually have to pay income tax either.

Remember, there is lots of incorrect or outright bad advice floating around the internet. You have to chose for yourself what you want to do. If you chose wrong it can be bad. If you chose very wrong, you might get a large fine or a felony.

I've shipped guns three times. Two times were handguns I sold on Gunbroker and they were both shipped Fed-ex to an FFL in their State. I still have the paper work they sent me just to cover my butt. The other time I shipped a pistol back to the manufacturer as I thought I was having a problem (turned out it was an operator issue but they were nice and didn't say it). Once again I shipped it Fed-ex and it was returned the same way.

If someone is debating committing a criminal act by how they transfer a firearm I don't want it posted on this website.

Steelheart

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
deadbangguns.com, Ok, where the heck did this guy get his idea's. I read the Gov't sites, the dealer sites, and some other publications, and I do not get what is posted on his site. Though, it does say you can ship to a dealer, by carrier not postal service.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
NYPD in AZ said:
It definitely WASN'T me who shipped a gun and told them it was a paper punch.
I stand corrected.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Thanks Steelheart. I said no USPS for an individual because the PO guy told me that, but this helps convince people when they see it in writing. And although not required by law to ship overnight when using FedEx or UPS, it is their policy. So what's a guy to do?
What I don't understand is dealers will ship a gun UPS for $25, but when I wanted to send one back to Taurus ( Mpls to Miami ) UPS wanted $52. :???: Are these dealers not telling UPS it's a firearm?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts