Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am selling my 0.38 Taurus revolver and need instruction on the proper way to do this and what my asking price should be. Also, I had a permit but have misplaced it. Can a copy be obtained from the county in which it was registered. I am currently out of town where the gun is stored and have no further description of it.

Thanks,
BJV

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you are a seller I don't think it matters. I just purchased a used gun from a private party and didn't see his Permit but showed my purchase permit at the time of sale. In the state of MN we are required to aquire a purchase permit to purchase handguns and semi-auto rifles at FFL dealers But FFLs do a NICS background check for all firearms, so I don't get the point of a state background check for the purchase permit and a FBI BG check at the time of purchase... But some private sellers require an individual to show there purchase permit at the time of purchase. I showed mine to the seller but didnt ask for his. We did do a hand written receipt, and he said sometimes he takes pictures of the purchase permit and the license of the buyer but we didn't go that far.
As long as you cross your T's and dot your I's. Maybe a handwritten receipt with DL information for your own records. We only did name and number.
As far as price, I'd like to know the same too because I want to sell a gun too. Also looking at used guns at the LGS they have the same gun but different prices so Id like to know how the come up with that as well.
Any price a tad lower than retail would probably perk a buyers interest, atleast the price and the additional magazines persuaded me to buy my gun from a private party! Happy selling

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Ensure that you follow the procedures for where you live. Some places require transfer through an F.F.L. Some just meet F.T.F. in a parking lot, and do business there.

·
Administrator
35,526 Posts
Laws are different at the state and local level. You should take time to familiarize yourself with any and all laws that would affect you selling your gun. Permits are the same way. Ultimately, the burden of following the law rests on you.

There are several ways to determine gun value.....go to Gunbroker and see what the average price for your particular gun is, and start there. It will also depend on age, condition, and how much it's been used.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
A much simpler option is for you to ship the gun to the FFL dealer of my choice, addressed to me, and I will evaluate it and immediately send you a cashiers check in the amount of my 'personal appraisal'.

If others on this board make the same offer, remember, they are 'johnny come lately's', as I suggested it first. PM me for the address of my local dealer.

·
Premium Member
13,285 Posts
Laws are different at the state and local level. You should take time to familiarize yourself with any and all laws that would affect you selling your gun. Permits are the same way. Ultimately, the burden of following the law rests on you.

There are several ways to determine gun value.....go to Gunbroker and see what the average price for your particular gun is, and start there. It will also depend on age, condition, and how much it's been used.
What he said.

In my youth, I used to buy Mauser rifles for $20, sporterize them and sell them for $30. That was in Texas in the late 60s and early 70s.

·
Premium Member
11,219 Posts
What he said.

In my youth, I used to buy Mauser rifles for $20, sporterize them and sell them for $30. That was in Texas in the late 60s and early 70s.
Now you buy for $300, sporterize them, and only get $250 for them (and a lecture about ruinning a military collectable). :D

Reactions: MadKaw

·
Registered
27,560 Posts
As has been pointed out - follow the state laws. And common sense.
Remember that the gun is registered to you.
Imagine some... body buying the gun from you where you don't follow procedure, he goes out - commits a murder, leaves the gun (after wiping prints - if any, guns don't actually hold prints very well)...
The police come to you and you tell them the story about the one-armed man who bought the gun from you last week.

So, follow procedure and document the sale.

·
Registered
55 Posts
A much simpler option is for you to ship the gun to the FFL dealer of my choice, addressed to me, and I will evaluate it and immediately send you a cashiers check in the amount of my 'personal appraisal'.

If others on this board make the same offer, remember, they are 'johnny come lately's', as I suggested it first. PM me for the address of my local dealer.
I'm new to the gun scene but with out cash in hand be prepared to be ripped OFF!!!!!!!!!!!! I bought a car off of ebay, $7500.00 and wanted it shipped to MN. He was a "dealer" with a very good rating, selling many cars and parts alike. I paid 450 to have it shipped cause I was in Australia at the time(deployed) and My wife(in MN never received the car) He didn't avoid us completely but gave us the run around before I filed a claim with ebay and got my money back less shipping which a 500 dollar loss too a 7500 dollar loss.... Don't ship your gun to anyone without money first!!!!!

Also, like one of these GENTS said, do it according to your STATES law and be in the clear, As long as as he or she isnt a thug and has proper credentials sell it! I'm gonna sell my TCP and get a nano! Hopefully I can get someone to by my TCP when I get it BACK :D

·
Super Moderator
13,907 Posts
Now you buy for $300, sporterize them, and only get $250 for them (and a lecture about ruinning a military collectable). :D
That is EXACTLY what happened when I asked my lgs what he'd give me for my Smith and Corona 03A3 30-06 w/ 19" barrel and Weaver 4X scope.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts