Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stainless Rossi 972 in .375 that I would like to use theatrically, i.e. for photoshoots, professional costuming, parties, contests, etc. The fact that it is a legitimate firearm hasn't been so much of a problem up to this point, as I have plugged the cylinders with expanding anchors to prevent easy loading, and a hand made expanding dowel in the barrel that can only be removed with two allen wrenches; one from the muzzle, and one from the breech.

Despite these good faith displays of diplomacy, I was recently turned away from a gig due to the fact that I COULD conceivably remove these obstructions to make the gun fireable.

I explained that, of all the guns I have and regularly carry concealed, I would not go through the trouble of creating an elaborate ruse in which my costume gun was going to be used to commit a crime (when I could easily sneak in a smaller piece).

Ultimately, I would like to find a replacement cylinder that I could weld shut, proving that at no time could it be loaded. Also, I could exchange for the original accurized cylinder for actual shooting.
I spoke to Braztech recently, and they told me that changing a cylinder for any reason would void the warranty, and that they would not, by policy, help a customer void a warranty. So, as the warranty is going to be void one way or another, I am looking for a loose cylinder somewhere in the world. The new replacement part costs $80, so I'd assume a used one would be less.

If anyone has any suggestions, please share.

·
Super Moderator
17,621 Posts
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/1132390.htm

This was listed under the 971 model number, which is identical except for the finish. The 971 is the blue steel model.

Be sure it operates before you start welding on it. Sometimes replacement cylinders need a bit of adjustment. If you even care if it indexes?

I think I'd just fill the chambers with J-B Weld. That should satisfy anybody but a machinist.

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
Welcome to TA from Minnesota.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
1 Smiley Hello.gif Welcome from the Rust Belt USA....

Here is a link to a place that sells movie and prop guns - MOVIE PROP FAKE GUNS:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like that 971 cylinder. I'm not worried about indexing (as long as the firing pin doesn't hit the cylinder body). It's just a bit more than I am willing to spend on a part.

As far as replicas, props, blank firing, toys, airsoft, etc., I have always felt that those types of accessories detract from an outfit. Any kmart costume comes with a plastic gun, and even the best replicas have an abundance of silvery pot metal, which makes them look exactly like toys. When flimsy replicas cost almost as much as real guns, I prefer the latter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also dig the JB Weld idea, but I've worked with it often enough to not want to drill it out of a cylinder. I considered lead, which would probably melt out, but I don't want to risk the material strength of the steel by torching it.

·
Super Moderator
17,621 Posts
I like that 971 cylinder. I'm not worried about indexing (as long as the firing pin doesn't hit the cylinder body). It's just a bit more than I am willing to spend on a part.

As far as replicas, props, blank firing, toys, airsoft, etc., I have always felt that those types of accessories detract from an outfit. Any kmart costume comes with a plastic gun, and even the best replicas have an abundance of silvery pot metal, which makes them look exactly like toys. When flimsy replicas cost almost as much as real guns, I prefer the latter.
I think that is actually a 972 cylinder since it's stainless. They just didn't have a separate listing for the 972. You're not likely to find a new one at a reasonable (or practical) cost. You could set up a saved search on gunbroker.com to email you, or hit up every gunsmith you run across to see if they have one in thier junk pile.

Like many ideas we have around here, this is a good one but not very cost-efficient.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, Braztech has foiled me again. Apparently there has been a change in design over the years. I purchased this used 971 cylinder and yoke from ebay thinking it would fall into place. Not surprisingly, everything from the lock screw in the grip frame to the star extractor are different enough to not fit together.

I hoped the cylinder would slide onto my yoke spindle. My spindle is a few thousands thicker.
I hoped the yoke would set evenly into the frame. It is ever so slightly different in shape.
I hoped the set screw would lock into the notch adequately. It fits in there, but the old style notch in the yoke is large enough to let the entire spring and plunger fall loose into the frame (taking some time and special tools to extract).

It would appear I am doing some machining on this part to make it fit (I only hope this work doesn't void the warranty...). So FYI: Old style and new style are not interchangeable.

Rossi parts.jpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also, the star extractor is COMPLETELY different (aside from the star its self). The star doesn't even sit in the recess properly, and the wildly different parts combine to be about 3/16" longer than mine, so the rod won't even set in the slot under the barrel (Should grind off nicely, though).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts