Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much to you have to turn the key to engage the system? I ask because mine just never seems to engage. Not that I'm planning to use it - I'm just still checking out all of it's 'features.'

I DID find one use for the lock, though. It's been a looong time since I've shot 1911s and I'm still getting used to the fact that its SA and I find myself wanting to visually verify that the hammer is back. Well, with the security system installed in a stainless model, I can clearly see without focusing the two black dots formed by the lock and the firing pin. Everything else is gray, so they stand out without having to look. With a little more practice, I'm sure I won't even need this crutch, but its handy for now.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
With my PT1911's it took less than a quarter of a turn to engage the locks. I have replaced all of the factory hammers with Ed Brown or Wilson Combat hammers. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sbb said:
With my PT1911's it took less than a quarter of a turn to engage the locks. I have replaced all of the factory hammers with Ed Brown or Wilson Combat hammers. Hope this helps.
Thanks... then mine's busticated. I can turn it through 720 degrees or more and there's no engagement. Oh, well... wasn't going to use it anyway.

·
Super Moderator
22,452 Posts
Yep its only a quarter turn I'd have it replaced so it dose'nt develope a problem down the road.
I go with a Wilson or Ed brown.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Merlinspop said:
Turns out to be user error. On my old PT111, the key inserted only a short distance; on the 1911, it has to be inserted much deeper to engage. So it does work, if I'm so inclined.
So you gonna keep the hammer or replace it? I haven't decided if I'm gonna replace mine yet. I will, however, replace my ambi-safety.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
paulrabe78 said:
So you gonna keep the hammer or replace it? I haven't decided if I'm gonna replace mine yet. I will, however, replace my ambi-safety.
I've read plenty of debate about the quality of MIM parts and certainly don't want to open that can of worms here, but my feeling is "if it ain't broke..." and I haven't had any parts break yet. I'm a little on the fence about the safety (because I've read several reports of people experiencing no problems with them at all). I don't know that the hammer lock affects function, so I'm planning to leave those parts in place. I might change out the grips as I don't find them all that comfortable. I've already spent a fair amount on ammo (ball and defense), snap caps, two holsters (including "the answer") and a sturdy gun belt to hold them up. So I'm probably going to leave everything stock unless something breaks for a while.

·
Registered
57 Posts
That's not mine, but I wish it was. That's a picture I found on Tucker Gunleather's website. If I can find someone locally that does work that nice, I would definitely have to think about getting mine done like that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.