Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a week ago when I was at the range with my wife shooting my PT-917, the right side(looking from the back of the pistol) grip screw came loose. When I got home I tried re-tightened the grip screw then I realized that it would not tightened. I swapped out the Hogue aluminum grip back to the rubber grip that came with the pistol then it tightened. It looks like top of the screw hole on frame is stripped ever so slightly and the screw is not long enough to reach further down to the thread because the slightly thicker aluminum grip.

I bought a set bushings as well new screws that fit the bushing from Hogue which I hope will fix it. It will be steel on steel contact between the bushings and the screw. I wonder if I should use red permanent Loctite or the blue one which is removal to secure the bushings. I don't see a reason to remove the bushing once they are on even if I ever needed to send the pistol back to Taurus for any kind of repair in the future. BTW, I am only putting three bushings. I am not messing with one on the left side which holds the decocker spring.

·
Administrator
40,687 Posts
I see no harm in using either the blue or red Locktite. I once used JB Weld to secure a grip screw bushing on a 1911, that continually loosened. It's still solid to this day.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,468 Posts
I suggest Blue, then if it's still a recurring problem move to red. Blue is removable, as noted, but Red may require some heat before removal. Smokewagon's, J B Weld idea has merit, but you will NEVER get it back out.

My 2¢, before tax

Reactions: jwc007 and mingaa

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I personally would bypass the blue and good with the red I've worked with loc Tite for year's and rarely needed beat too break it loose just make sure both surfaces are clean

Reactions: jwc007
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.