Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting new sights for my PT1911, and I have a follow-on question about getting them zeroed in. Most people talk about zeroing them in at 25 or 50 yards, yet for defensive handgun purposes, it would seem to me that you would want to zero them in at a closer range, like 10-15 yards. From my CHL class and a lot that I read, most encounters occur at close range than 25 or 50 yards. I guess the reason might be that technically there isn't that much deviation between 15 and 25 yards? If you're using it as a range gun, most of the ranges near me have almost all their lanes at 50 feet. I've been curious about this and thought I'd ask.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Can't speak for others but can give my reasons.

I usually line up my full size pistols at 25 yards for a few reasons. It can be hard to adjust to tell if the sights are off at close ranges. If it's on at 25 then it will be close enough for defensive work at 7 or less. At my current range we have a 10" steel set at 50 yards, with my gun sighted in at 25 it will hit fine at 50 and practice shooting the 50 yard target gives me confidence that I could make a shot at longer ranges. I have also found that some sights don't have enough range to adjust to a very close distance zero, usually revolvers with tall front sights.

For my typical carry/defensive pistols I line them up at 15 yards or 7 yards for pocket carry guns. Of course most of those weapons don't have adjustable sights but mine have laser sights so I find ammo that hits point of aim and line the laser sight to that.

·
Registered
36,032 Posts
Typically fixed sights are chosen before ordering as to what range that you want them zeroed (height of sights)?
I think that if you just order a random set of 1911 sights they likely will be adjusted (height) for 50 yards?
typically as mentioned by Stallard in a defense pistol does it really matter if you hit the bad guy in the lower chest or the upper chest or in the heart?
if shooting paper then that may be a different matter cause you keep score.
there ar no numbers on bad guys however.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, guys. I was wondering if it might be along those lines. I just wanted a better idea on the sensitivity.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
I'll add a 'Concur' to all the very good points, and just add that in a 'defensive' situation, you'll most likely not even have time to 'sight', so you should practice point shooting.

·
Registered
36,032 Posts
I'll add a 'Concur' to all the very good points, and just add that in a 'defensive' situation, you'll most likely not even have time to 'sight', so you should practice point shooting.
Which brings us back full circle to having a weapon that comes on target easily for you, practicing enough to be able to quickly find the front sight, and to shoot COM (or the biggest part of the target).
One of the reasosn that i am so fond of my old PT1911 with the hienie sights, point and shoot really good for me with this sight system, but its all about what works for you!

Reactions: bytexas

·
Registered
75 Posts
Rodger that!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts