Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shot some +P law enforcement issued ammo over the New Year weekend and now i am noticing that the second strike doesnt work on my PT145?
it is my primary ccw but this concerns me.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Welcome from Fort Worth, Texas where the West Begins.. Sorry to hear about your problem, I, also just bought a new PT 145 and haven't had any problems so far...

·
Premium Member
16,956 Posts
It must be busted so take 'er back to the LGS where you bought it and have 'er checked out. You may have to send it back to Taurus to have them repair 'er. NP they 'ell fix 'er.

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
Whoa - before you jump to conclusions, need a tad more information. What do you mean, "doesn't work?" Does the gun drop into DA mode, the striker drop and the rounds still not fire or when you pull the trigger does nothing happen? In my limited experience (and please note the emphasis should be put on limited), if a round fails to fire, and it's very intermittent, it usually won't fire is struck again - a problem with the primer. I'd make sure that you don't have some substandard ammo. If you are having a lot of misfires and this is pretty consistent, it could very well be the firing pin. But I'd rule out the ammo first. Just my dos centavos (just a little of that Spanish Lingo there)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the pistol use to be able to dry fire any time with out racking the slide but now to dry fire i have to rack the slide every time meaning the double action is not operating. The second strike capability is suposed to work in the event of a round not being set off by the firing pin, you can squeeze again to fire the round. when i squeeze again nothing happens

·
Registered
10,781 Posts
It sounds as though something has failed. Prepare to send it back.

As for the "if it won't fire once, it won't fire twice" idea. That's not exactly true. There are a number of things that can happen to soften the initial blow of the firing pin. Dirt in the chamber, a dirty gun, and so on, will prevent the first strike from working. Yet, in allowing that to happen, it may well seat the cartridge properly for a follow-on strike.

In a tense situation, your instincts will have you attempt to fire that second time. If there's a second strike capacity, it may work. If there isn't, it's a waste of motion. By the second attempt, the training to tap-rack-bang kicks in.

For myself, I'd rather have the capability, and never use it, than lack the capability, and need it desperately.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
I'd send it back to Taurus and let them fix it under warranty. If it is less than a year old (from the date of manufacturing) they'll pay the shipping.

Welcome from East Texas to the best gun forum on the internet.

·
Registered
29,846 Posts
Second strike capability is a option Taurus uses to help sell guns; and it's sort of a two edged sword. It "could" be a life saver (when it works) or a life taker (if it doesn't work). Even if it does go click, click, click, that's no assurance that the offending round will go off. Don't blame what you might think is a light DA strike on what problably is a bad primer. If in the meantime, you're being shot at or stabbed you're SOL.

Conventional training with semiautos tells you that if you do have a "misfire" perform "immediate action" which is, "TAP, RACK, BANG".

Tap the magazine floor plate to ensure it's fully seated, Rack the slide to dump the offending misfire and load the chamber with a fresh round...then Bang you're back in the fight.

A second strike is OK on the range, but on the street I want to be SURE I've got a fresh round in the chamber that works instead of staking my life on one that's already misfired.

·
Banned
171 Posts
Second strike capability is a option Taurus uses to help sell guns; and it's sort of a two edged sword. It "could" be a life saver (when it works) or a life taker (if it doesn't work). Even if it does go click, click, click, that's no assurance that the offending round will go off. Don't blame what you might think is a light DA strike on what problably is a bad primer. If in the meantime, you're being shot at or stabbed you're SOL.

Conventional training with semiautos tells you that if you do have a "misfire" perform "immediate action" which is, "TAP, RACK, BANG".

Tap the magazine floor plate to ensure it's fully seated, Rack the slide to dump the offending misfire and load the chamber with a fresh round...then Bang you're back in the fight.

A second strike is OK on the range, but on the street I want to be SURE I've got a fresh round in the chamber that works instead of staking my life on one that's already misfired.
Yay I get to use this vid again. everyone should see it at least once.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had the same phenomenon when I sent my PT745 for repair they returned with what seems to be a longer firing pin, So I called them and they said it was a 24/7 pin but according to them it was fully compatible, I had and old firing ping and place it for testing and actually the double strike works with this shorter one.

Anyway the larger pin makes deeper dents in the primer than the older (original) and I prefer to keep the long one because of the known misfiring problem this millennium guns have. (More related to the blocking safety mechanics for the firing pin if the trigger is not depress)

and for the records (if god forbids) I have a misfire I go for the tap and rack drill, wouldn’t try double strike

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thankyou all for the feed back! it is truly appreciated...the only reason i have any concern is that something in the weapon is broken or malfunctioning, it still shoots fine i just dont like toting any weapon that may be compromised in an O NO! moment. as for tap, rack, and bang! its the only way to prepare.
i believe the mechanism in the slide that resets the firing pin to the double action position is sticking or not clicking and setting the pin?? strange
thanks again and thanks for the warm welcomes! i look forward to being a member here

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok so i am pretty positive that the malfunctioning part is the firing pin block. if you have a mag in and try to operate the slide to feed a round into the chamber, the firing pin sticks out of the pin hole and catches on the upper side of the cartridge rim and it cant move into battery to slam home into the chamber.... if i push the slide ever so slightly to the rear...just a touch out of battery you can hear a tiny click almost like a trigger setting and shazam the pin moves out of battery and allows the cartridge to feed in to the chamber....anyone else ever heard of this??? also, how long does Taurus keep the weapon? are we assured privacy? I mean do they share serial numbers and owner info with 3rd parties etc.... this is my main carry and i feel naked with out it

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
Yay I get to use this vid again. everyone should see it at least once.

Pistol Malfunction Clearance - YouTube
I especially loved the end of the video when he talked about people congregating around the malfunction at the range. I guess I took a page from his boo without thinking about it. Beat the gun into submission until it does work, I don't shoot for score, I shoot to save my life.

Reactions: GunsandNoses

·
Registered
192 Posts
I tested one Yesterday, bought it not at the Range I'm a member of, and am leaving in a few minutes to go bck to the range and really put it through it's paces. I am confident their will be no problems, will let you know!!!!
There were no problems. impressive gun for such a small size, no, just an impressive pistol!!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Any thoughts on timing and privacy?

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Any thoughts on timing and privacy?
Welcome to the forum!

I have sent my guns back to the manufacturers for repair services. Don't worry, Taurus and other gun manufacturers do NOT share your personal info with the 3rd parties. The last time I sent in my PT145 for barrel replacement, it took only 10 business days from the day I shipped it to the day I received it back. Just give Taurus a call, explain to them the problems, fill out the Work Order and include a copy with the gun when you send it back to help things "move" faster. We can check the repair status here.

Taurus CS: 1-800-327-3776 or 1-305-624-1115

Good luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok all
here is what failed..... if you have a problem with your pistol being able to dry fire again and again.....its a broken captive firing pin spring....i broke down my pistol and pulled out a firing pin spring with the (plastic) rod and cap broken apart from each other???? the spring was not being held in place until the trigger was squeezed. i looked at the parts schematic and determined the part name and number and called and ordered one....i just put in the new captive firing pin spring and waaaahoooo! the second strike option works flawlessly!!! of course tap, rack and bang is still the first thing to do but the second trigger squeeze is a feature to try in the split second before you start the tap sequence.... this thread can be a usefull tool for the next person with a problem and it can lie dormant now hahahahahaha!!!

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Congrats on fixing it yourself.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts