Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright guys....second range session with PT111 mil pro today....put 100 more rounds through it today bringing the total to 300 so far....had some issues and need some advice

the first 200 rounds were great....i had 1 FTF and 1 FTE, however, both were with my fiance shooting the gun and she was very timid and scared with it. I attributed both of these to her limp wristing and i'm fully confident this was the reason for this. She probably shot 10-15 rounds out of the 200.

today....i had two more FTF's....i know for a fact limp wristing was not the culprit.....also, when I'm using one of my magazines, the slide is not locking back after final round has been shot.

I'm not ready to give up on the gun as I really like the way it shoots and feels. A couple more hiccups at the range might make me change my mind. Any ideas as to what I can do or what is going on with gun/magazine? Any help would be appreciated. I appreciate it.

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
Did you change ammo type or brand? I know mine will not feed Remington FMJ worth a crap, and I know mine will sometimes not lock back on the last shot either but it does not happen enough to bother me. Also how many rounds do you fire between cleanings? I have shot mine up to 300 rounds in a single day but it did start to give me trouble right around the 200-250 mark. One other thing you may want to consider is to give it some more time some guns need 500 rounds or more to properly break in.

·
32,481 Posts
I agree with MKnight.

There are also some other things to look at.

Has the gun been cleaned well and that includes the firing pin channel?

If that many rounds were fired in one or several range trips without follow up cleaning dirt and grime will find their way into all parts of the action.

The gun is going to need much experimentation with various brands and types of ammo to see what is the accuracy and reliable round for that particular gun.

Have a mentor along side you while you shoot to give back feedback and constructive criticism. This rules out mistakes/problems or helps to correct potential problems.

It could be the magazines. Those are the weak point of any gun. On the internet and in many periodicals as of late bad magazines have been noted with new guns. Yes, that stinks. However it's happening more and more regardless of the brand,make, or model of pistol.

If the gun is held loosely something akin to what happens when there is a limp wrist problem can and does occur. There's not enough slide energy to cycle the gun properly. Hold the gun tightly.

Is the pistol being held up high on the backstrap as far as possible? If not this can cause the cycle problems as well.

Just things that need looking at.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks guys....mknight, its funny you say that because 250 of the 300 rounds were Remington UMC Luger 9mm 115 grain FMJ rounds (from walmart)....the other 50 were Federal Ammunition 9mm Luger 115 grain FMJ rounds

The first session, I shot 200 rounds of the Remington and I had the 1 FTF and 1 FTE (my fiance limp wristing).

The gun was cleaned very thorougly before and after first session (I took my time but I guess theres always a chance I could've missed some area)

The second range session, I shot 50 rounds of the Remington and 50 rounds of Federal ( I had one FTF with each brand of ammo)
I'm not too worried about the slide not locking out issue, just as long as the gun shoots well. The FTF's are the main thing I'm worried about.

Thanks guys for comments, I appreciate it. I'm going to stick it out, hopefully thing will get better.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Having FTF from those brands is kinda common. I fought with it for about 200-300 rounds then sent it back to the factory. I don't know what they did but I don't have that trouble any more. The pt-111 is my carry.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks bre....what brand(s) of ammo do you recommend? I want a good round but I can't afford to strip the wallet with it right now either. I'm going to give it to around the 500 round mark before I seriously consider sending it back to factory if I'm still having FTF's. It is also my carry weapon and right now my faith in it is kinda waivering, however, not broken.

To everybody else, ammo advice would be greatly appreciated. Yall have been a big help.

·
Registered
29,845 Posts
Quick question.

When you've taken it to the range squeeky and lubed, has it ever choked during the first 50 rounds?

If not, don't sweat it.

I doubt you'll carry 50 rounds and expect to expend it all in a gun fight.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
haha...good point moondawg....it actually did yesterday in the first 50 but point taken.....hopefully this thing will get broke in well and it won't continue to be issue....hopefully some different ammo might make a difference as well

·
Registered
322 Posts
I tried posting this earlier by my net took a dump...so lets try again.I also have a PT111, with roughly 600 rounds of my own shot through it. I bought it used, so there's no telling what the real round count is.Hornady Critical Defense - My budget keeps me from shooting this stuff unless I absolutely have to.Remington UMC "Superbulk" - Worked fine, good for plinking ammo.Winchester White Box - A few FTFs, which fired off just fine in my dad's Sigma 9VE. Possible hard primersFederal - Performed as expected, no problems.Monarch - Jam-O-Matic. Even my dad's Sigma had trouble feeding and firing this crap. Doublefeeds, FTFs, FTEs, out of both pistols.Tulammo - NO. this stuff blew up my pistol. Dunno if it was a loose primer, or an overcharged round, but fire came out the wrong places, case got stuck, damaged the extractor, had to go back to Taurus. They fixed it up, replaced the extractor, sent it home. Ran three mags of Remington Superbulk through it to verified it was fixed, performed flawlessly.

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
I have never had a problem with Winchester white box 115 grain. I can get a 100 round box at Walmart for about the same price as 2 50 round boxes of Federal 155 grain. In Federal I have had the problem of the slide not locking back but no FTF or FTE. I have also not had problems with Blazer in aluminum never tried the Blazer brass. Now since it is my carry I have only used Winchester White Bow JHP, since they work every time I shot them I'm not inclined to play around with others. As I have said before I have had many problems with Remington.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys for the replies.....much appreciated.....i actually just bought some hornaday criticial defense for my carry load....im gonna look into the winchester white box and blazer and see how they do....again, much appreciated with the replies

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks guys....much appreciated with the replies....i actually just bought hornaday critical defense for my carry load.....im going to try the winchester white box and blazer and see how they do....again, thanks for the replies

·
32,481 Posts
Good luck UpstateShooter with your PT111.

MY PT111 Mil Pro is still going strong. I'm deciding whether that or the 709 are going to be a carry item this winter.

These guys ( members that is) ( I've been watching too much Foghorn Leghorn lately :) ) are great!

·
Registered
192 Posts
I shot 50 round of Fedral through my PT145, and 50 rounds of that Russian crap, Tul Ammo, just to see if I could get a FTF or FTL, nary a problem. I thoroughly clean my guns after each session, not break down but everything but. I've bever had a problem with Federal ammo in my Ruger 9 or CCI Blazer Alluminum or brass. Have never bought Remington or Winchester, I don't like paying for a name. Every gun I have will shoot whatever I feed it, except one time when my buddy used my Ruger P95 9 MM for his CCW class, apparently they didn't teach them how to clean a gun, cause when I next took it to the range I had my first jam, FTL, I got it out and looked at the feed ramp and it was caked on. Quick cleaning at the range with gun solvent and a Q-Tip solved that problem right away. So keep it clean, use whatever ammo it will eat, and if it still does it, send her to Miami. I would be worried about the slide not staying open because that is a "Normal" function of thed PT series of guns, which means your pistol is acting abnormally...just my thoughts

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Thanks guys for the replies.....much appreciated.....i actually just bought some hornaday criticial defense for my carry load....im gonna look into the winchester white box and blazer and see how they do....again, much appreciated with the replies
The Hornady Critical Defense is an excellent carry round. All my 9mm pistols love it.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I had a chance to sight the missus's PT111 in after putting some Williams Fire Sights on it. Ran a 250 bulk pack of Remington UMC through it as well as a box of 100 Blazer Brass and about 25-50 of some other type of ammo plus some reload 9mm JHP. Haven't had any FTF or mis-feeds or FTE. I have run about 100 rds of 9mm through my new PT709 as well with no issues. These darn guns seem to eat ammo.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts