Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as a lot of you know about 3 months ago i bought a new Taurus 24/7 OSS. Right out of the box i had some problems with misfires and all and sent it back to factory for repair. They said there was nothing wrong with it.

When they sent it back i took it out and fired 150 rounds with only one misfire and it then fired on the second pull. So, i brought it back home and stripped it down and cleaned it good.

Today i took it back out to the range and it performed beautiful. 150 rounds without a falter. I did bench rest shooting and the accuracy was right on. Also did standing at 12 yards and was just fine. Did a lot of double taps and right on. The last magazine was 12 rounds at 7 yards. I emptied the magazine as fast as i could and every round was within the center of mass circle.

I guess the guy who told me about the sticky protectant that Taurus uses was correct, all it needed was a good cleaning.

For those who like a SA/DA trigger the OSS seems to be a good one. For those who like a thumb safety it has one. For those who don't like a thumb safety it has a decocker which throws it back to DA for the first shot. Got something for everybody.

Very nice 45 at quite a good price and lots of features in the bargain. Sure glad i didn't sell it... ;D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Glad it worked out for you! I've been very happy with my OSS and how easy she is to shoot with the short reset making double taps a breeze. I think Taurus has a winner in the OSS and I might take a hard look at the 800 series too.

Robert

·
Administrator
18,276 Posts
+1! Glad you are finally happy with it!

When I cleaned mine just after purchase, I flushed the Slide Thru the Firing Pin Hole with Plastic-Safe Gunscrubber, I certainly noticed some serious grime being flushed out the bottem back of the slide! I do that with all my firearms for regular cleaning too!

My .45 24/7 OSS has been a Great Pistol, so far, and I fully expect that to continue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have an OSS also, I generally like the desert camo color. MY only complaint is that this gun shoots low and left. Both myself and a competitive shooter (both very experienced), had the same problem. I googled it, and the low and left is a common theme.

We literally had to shift the rear sight over to the right to correct the left problem. The low issue isn't going away. The bottom line, is that I have decided to replace the Novak sights with William's fire sights. This provides a green front sight with two orange (all fiber optic) which will allow me to raise the front sight easily.

I own 15 handguns, and I'm not changing the way I hold any gun to shoot it accurately. I shoot "lights out" with my M&P, and expect I will be much better after the sight adjustment.

·
Super Moderator
21,798 Posts
I just bought a new 24/7 Pro 45 compact ds and am so far happy I have not shot it yet but sat. coming when I stripped it to clean it it was packed with nasty stuff had to use a lot of gun scrubber on it and the re -lube with Break Free CLP now its ready for the range.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
if only the ammo price would drop i would get one to add to my family of guns.right now i think 1 45 is enough."not much fun if you can't afford to shoot it"

·
Registered
10 Posts
I started reloading and it really cuts cost. I reload in 9mm, 40 and 45. My OSS is in 40 and shoots like a champ. I buy cast bullets pretty cheap, but can actually have the molds. I can now go through 500 rounds at a fraction of the cost.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can't stand the sight picture on my OSS (like a lot of people) but the more I shoot it, the more I like it. Had some issues with the mags at first (last round hangups, FTFs) but cleaned & lightly sanded the front left edge of the follower, & all was well. Have about 2000 rounds through it now, & other me loading with too light of a charge (this thing LIKES the high end powder charges), no feeding or misfire problems. Glad you gave yours a second chance.
Gonna check out a 24/7 compact next gun show. Like the way they fit my hand.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts