Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's so weird to think that Walmart is the only general department store that carries guns anymore. I always think I'm going to wake up tomorrow and hear that, due to liability concerns, Walmart will no longer sell guns or ammo.

When I was a kid, all sorts of department store chains carried guns. Not talking about sporting goods stores or outfitters - talking about places that also sold kids' clothing and shoes and detergent. Sears, Wards and K-Mart are the ones that come to mind, but I know there had to be others.

Farm supply and Hardware chains also carried guns, but I can't remember which ones. Can you help me out?

·
Registered
617 Posts
Western auto?

Reactions: Rossi

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Target (not a joke) ... early Target stores had a very good selection of guns and ammo at great prices. I still have shrink-wrapped bricks (10 boxes of 50 each) of Winchester Wildcat 22lr with a Target price tag of $4.99

(sorry, they are NOT for sale)

I forgot to mention that I bought my daughters a Chipmunk .22 rifle when they were little. That was about 30 years ago, and target had a super price on the Chipmunk.

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
My Dad bought me my first gun, a Stevens 67E, at an Otasco store winch later became a Western Auto. I too miss the good old days of buying from a minor store chain.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Western auto had bikes and some clothes and general auto repair parts. One that just closed a few years ago had a auto repair shop. My first 10 speed bike came from there the kind with the curly handlebars. 12th birthday present in 1979.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Gambles, J.C. Penny, Bon Marche, ZCMI, White Front. All these sold guns, ammunition and other sporting goods

·
Super Moderator
20,082 Posts
Western auto had bikes and some clothes and general auto repair parts. One that just closed a few years ago had a auto repair shop. My first 10 speed bike came from there the kind with the curly handlebars. 12th birthday present in 1979.
My first 10 speed for 13th BD was the curly handlebars too; was a little earlier than 1979, though (1973).

My dad went ahead and handed down his father's Browning A5 12G shotgun he bought from a Wilson 5&dime in 1956 for ~ $35.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Service Merchandise

Reactions: aquajim

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Roses sold guns we also had Sky City department stores in SC

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I hear that once upon a time you could buy firearms at Abercrombie and Fitch. Now the only thing I get when I go near A&F is a headache from all the cologne or whatever it is that they pump through the ventilation system.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Walmarts were im from stop selling guns after hurricane Katrina because of the looters wish they still sold guns though.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
My Dad bought me my first gun, a Stevens 67E, at an Otasco store winch later became a Western Auto. I too miss the good old days of buying from a minor store chain.
I bought my first gun (Winchester 30-30) from an Otasco.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
We had a store called Gibson's that sold everything before Wal Mart ran them out.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Really? Wow...I think I remember hearing something about that. An auto store that sold guns - 2 great addictive hobbies in one convenient location :)
They also sold toys including electric trains, dolls, sleds, and you name it!

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
They use to sell firearms and ammo at PAMIDA also.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I remember my dad replacing our old Marlin 99C which was bought from Best Products with a shiny new Marlin Model 60 from F.W Woolworth in the late 80's early 90's. I believe Sports Authority also sold guns and ammunition.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
Kresge 5 and 10, Zayre's, Tractor Supply, Coast-to-Coast Hardware, Belknap Hardware, and a host of smaller hardware and "department stores" all sold guns around us. Many of them had guns built by others, but branded to their store.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts