Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried a search, couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. Vast majority of available 9mm FMJ (or, target/practice ammo?), in this area anyway, is 115gr; I notice most folks recommend 124gr or more for SD ammo. I do see quite a bit of 124, 147 etc in Critical Defense, JHP, etc. But I also see where folks say to practice with same weight they're going to carry (124gr FMJ/124gr JHP). Am I overthinking this, am I at a disadvantage carrying 115gr SD ammo, or should I concentrate more on "hits versus misses?"

·
Super Moderator
27,052 Posts
No expert here. But I would say experiment with it all. Find what your weapon likes, and what you are most comfortable and ACCURATE with. To me it is more about accuracy than bullet weight.

Here is something from S & W forum :

Lighter Bullet versus Heavy?

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
What Rod said...
Practice, experiment, etc. The most important consideration is to ensure that whatever ammo you decide to carry, it will feed flawlessly in your carry gun. Also, find out just where the POI/POA is for it. Lighter or heavier bullets tend to have a slightly different flight path, making the point of impact / point of aim different as well.

You definitely want to 1.) make sure the firearm feeds, fires, extracts, and feeds the next round without fail, and 2.) the bullet goes where you want it to.

·
Registered
8,801 Posts
What they said. My main criteria is the SD / JHP ammo must cycle thru pistol with NO problems and be relatively inexpensive as I will be running it thru my carry weapon on any range visit. Bullet weight is of no importance to me. I currently use 147 gr. 9MM and 180 gr. .40S&W JHP's - Win WB Personal Protection Series as it has always fed well in all my pistols and is relatively inexpensive. If the ammo is so expensive you can't afford or want to shoot it (at least a mag or two) at the range to test it's feed reliability is a waste of funds IMO. I don't believe there is an SD ammo on the market that won't do the job if it feeds and fires thru your gun flawlessly. YMMV

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
I am sure if you follow the advice of these members you will be OK in your choice of ammo. :thumb::thumb:

Reactions: Plano Mark

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
See, you could go through all the arguments of weight, velocity , spec this, spec that. Hollow point versus FMJ and on and on and on..

But in the real world and where it really matters is : Shoot what your guns likes that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and that you can put the bullet where you aim it when you squeeze the trigger.

The bad guy is not gonna argue those technicalities with you.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
For target practice I am fine with 115gr fmj and plenty of practice. It gets your mind & muscles prepared for trigger pull, aiming, recoil, and reliability.

For SD I like 147jhps for larger 9mms pistols, and 124 jhp for smaller 9mms pistols. I shoot with them to make sure they work well for the guns. I don't like 115 jhps for SD in 9mm.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
I don't have a 9mm but in everything else I carry what shoots best regardless of weight, but in my world the heaver bullets seem to hold tighter groups....

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
I think you need to choose whatever is comfortable for you to shoot and is reliable in your gun. That's a winning combination there.

·
22,815 Posts
I agree with those talking about reliability and being able to shoot your chosen ammunition accurately, but I have a very strong preference for much heavier bullets. Here's why.

I recently found this "article" (forum essay, really) by an avid handgunner who also worked in the Atlanta morgue. It's hard to imagine a person better suited to opine on what works, what doesn't, and why. He says he sees an average of 8.2 autopsies per day/365 days per year. He never carries anything smaller than a .40, and prefers the 180 grain .40 bullets. 230gr 45 is his favorite. The big reason? Bone. Smaller bullets bounce off of bone. Bigger ones smash right through. And most of the organs you shoot at to stop an attack are behind bone.

So if I had to carry 9mm, I'd carry the heaviest bullets I could find. If I'm going to carry around 100 grains, I'll carry my 380 and enjoy the extra carrying comfort. But in reality, I carry 230 grain .45 more than anything else.

Here's the link; happy reading! Terminal ballistics as viewed in a morgue

·
Registered
36,649 Posts
Tried a search, couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. Vast majority of available 9mm FMJ (or, target/practice ammo?), in this area anyway, is 115gr; I notice most folks recommend 124gr or more for SD ammo. I do see quite a bit of 124, 147 etc in Critical Defense, JHP, etc. But I also see where folks say to practice with same weight they're going to carry (124gr FMJ/124gr JHP). Am I overthinking this, am I at a disadvantage carrying 115gr SD ammo, or should I concentrate more on "hits versus misses?"
Concentrate on what actually works in your particular weapon!
then what you and your weapon can shoot most accurately
thats my suggstion.
as for projectile weight at self defense distances (say 15 yard and in) the weight of 92, 115, 124, 147, standard velocity .Plus P ain't going to make much difference at all.
now if you are have a competition weapon, with adjustable sights, firing at a set distance, and bullseye shooting then yes fractions of an inch may help your score.
In self defense the number of hits that you can place on target in general 10-12 inch circle will count most .
Below area a couple of targets where I was testing function and general accuracy In different weight projectiles and different power levels , so which weight had you rather be shot at with?
The 9 MM 124 is Nato power, the 92grin is 1400 FPS ammo.
the 10 MM s range power at 155 and 180 grain flat point, the Jhp is full house10 MM jacketed hollow points.

Attachments

Reactions: gbusmech

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Kill all the birds with one stone by stocking up on cheap 124grn reman ammo from Freedom Munitions or other such sites when they have free shipping promos.

It's what I do, practice with 124grn fmj and carry 124grn HST's in my 9mm guns.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Concentrate on what actually works in your particular weapon!
then what you and your weapon can shoot most accurately
thats my suggstion.
as for projectile weight at self defense distances (say 15 yard and in) the weight of 92, 115, 124, 147, standard velocity .Plus P ain't going to make much difference at all.
now if you are have a competition weapon, with adjustable sights, firing at a set distance, and bullseye shooting then yes fractions of an inch may help your score.
In self defense the number of hits that you can place on target in general 10-12 inch circle will count most .
Below area a couple of targets where I was testing function and general accuracy In different weight projectiles and different power levels , so which weight had you rather be shot at with?
The 9 MM 124 is Nato power, the 92grin is 1400 FPS ammo.
the 10 MM s range power at 155 and 180 grain flat point, the Jhp is full house10 MM jacketed hollow points.
Olfarhors what's the FPS on your 10mm JHP? I load 180 gr. XTP's at 1275 fps.

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
I don't reload, but even if I did, I would still opt to carry factory loads for SD. Just one less legal point to get over if worse comes to worse.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good feedback, one and all. Especially like the idea of stocking up on 124gr FMJ for practice, probably with Freedom. May just give this a shot, see how I handle the heavier round, go from there. Go, Taurus Armed! Thanks, once again.

·
Registered
36,649 Posts
Olfarhors what's the FPS on your 10mm JHP? I load 180 gr. XTP's at 1275 fps.
a bit over 1300 Fps, I think its like 1350-1375 or so.
its a few tenths below max with Accurate #5.
Its the Nosler 150 grain by the way.
haven't changed the recoil spring in the Rock (Supposedly a 20 pounder), did in the EAA (went to a 21 pounder)and it functions great with this same load.

Reactions: TheOldRedneck

·
Registered
36,649 Posts
I don't reload, but even if I did, I would still opt to carry factory loads for SD. Just one less legal point to get over if worse comes to worse.
Internet rumor/ old wives tale, but what ever makes someone feel secure and safe.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts