Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
60e44d23-2548-4185-ad48-052504415965_zpsopgenuun.jpg

Two 740's and one 738. Think I'm just going to use a standard mag in the 738 and carry the extended as a reload; not much sense taking a pocket gun that fits perfectly in my front or back pocket and turning it into one that doesn't.

The 740 is a little different because I wear it IWB at 11 o'clock and the extension doesn't change its profile or cause it to print; so I'll probably keep one in the gun and carry the other as a reload.

I haven't had a chance to shoot them yet; anyone with any experience with these that can comment on their reliability? My initial impression on the quality is they seem no different from the 6-rounders in that regard.

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
My TCP 8 round mag failed to feed twice, and I've only loaded it up a handful of times so statistically speaking, a somewhat high rate of failure.
I suspect the torque put on the mag by my grip might be responsible, taking up the mag slack in the least favorable way. Adding Pearce extensions to my 6 rounders caused similar failures.
I don't use the 8 rounder anymore, not even at the range because I like to practice at the range how I'd actually be shooting it (two-non-trigger-finger grip). I have 3 6-rounders which is all I need.

My experience could also be due to my TCP being a B series, but I have never had a failure with the 6 round mags (when they were without Pearce extensions)

I have a black stainless sitting in my Buds cart since they're back around $200 so I'll possibly have another TCP to try the 8 rounder in.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My TCP 8 round mag failed to feed twice, and I've only loaded it up a handful of times so statistically speaking, a somewhat high rate of failure.
I suspect the torque put on the mag by my grip might be responsible, taking up the mag slack in the least favorable way. Adding Pearce extensions to my 6 rounders caused similar failures.
I don't use the 8 rounder anymore, not even at the range because I like to practice at the range how I'd actually be shooting it (two-non-trigger-finger grip). I have 3 6-rounders which is all I need.

My experience could also be due to my TCP being a B series, but I have never had a failure with the 6 round mags (when they were without Pearce extensions)

I have a black stainless sitting in my Buds cart since they're back around $200 so I'll possibly have another TCP to try the 8 rounder in.
Being that you've only loaded it up a couple of times, is it possible it hasn't broken in adequately? There have been similar issues reported by some folks with brand new standard mags in the past.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
740 mags feed fine, but some need love to get them to load the last 2-3 rounds. The follower hits on the extended baseplate, stopping it from going all the way down. the fit of the baseplate is, in my opinion, poor as 3 of my 5 needed work to get them to feed and they still stick.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
From wherest findest these por favor
Ebay seller was offering dozens of the 740's still in the factory packaging for $43.99 each; as you might expect they didn't last long.

There's another seller offering the 738 mags for $85 right now; but I had already found one $40 cheaper elsewhere, and wasn't about to pay the same amount of money for 2 mags what my whole gun cost anyway.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
740 mags feed fine, but some need love to get them to load the last 2-3 rounds. The follower hits on the extended baseplate, stopping it from going all the way down. the fit of the baseplate is, in my opinion, poor as 3 of my 5 needed work to get them to feed and they still stick.
Sounds like a trip to the range is on my day's itinerary; need to know if I can rely on these.

Doubt I'll ever find myself in a SD situation where I need the additional firepower; but being able to carry 17 rounds of .40 S&W in a small package rather than 13 is an intriguing advantage.

·
Registered
29,765 Posts
I might have to get one for my 740 and test it out. I am not sure if it will be the primary or a reload. It will probably depend on how I am carrying (IWB vs Pocket).

Reactions: G8R8U2

·
Registered
8,797 Posts
I'm currently carrying my 740 with 8rd. mag along with two 8rd spares in leather belt mag holster. Taurus is now out of stock on the 8rd'ers 740 Magazine 8 Round for FS Model Only glad I got mine while they had them. I did a bit of whittling on the internals (remove flashing from molding) to prevent the follower hang up on last two rounds when loading and no more problems. Wish they'd do the same for the 709.
BTW the 8 rd'ers worked fine on the range.

·
Super Moderator
40,505 Posts
Nice find!

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
I'm currently carrying my 740 with 8rd. mag along with two 8rd spares in leather belt mag holster. Taurus is now out of stock on the 8rd'ers 740 Magazine 8 Round for FS Model Only glad I got mine while they had them. I did a bit of whittling on the internals (remove flashing from molding) to prevent the follower hang up on last two rounds when loading and no more problems. Wish they'd do the same for the 709.
BTW the 8 rd'ers worked fine on the range.
I was going to post that taurus was where I found mine (at $30) each ... too bad the e-scam resellers got them rather than us !

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Nice score. Would love to try an 8-rounder for the TCP. I was able to score a couple of the 6-rounders when MidwayUSA had them the other day, so I am not complaining. Nice to have a couple of spares. :cool:

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
Selling my TCP... Tired of the mag shortage.. PM me if you want it. I have two mags with it

i have no patience nor tolerance for stupid shortages caused by the marketing bozos... Same reason the pt709 went bye bye

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Chances are, even if there was a marketing team, they would find that the overwhelming majority of gun owners do not buy extra magazines over the 1 or 2 included.

PM me some details about the TCP you're selling. Finish, last letter of serial, round count, what you're asking for it shipped, etc.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I went to the range yesterday to try out the new extended mags, and to shoot the TCP for the first time.

There's great news and terrible news. The great news is the 740 and extended 8-round mags performed flawlessly, not a single malfunction; and I loaded both 4 times each with 2 different kinds of ammo.

The terrible news is the TCP failed to feed and failed to go completely back into battery constantly, with both extended and standard magazines, and with both range and premium ammo... until it just quit working altogether.

Towards the end of my session the TCP trigger would no longer trip the hammer at all. Pull the trigger all the way to the rear and the hammer just stops moving and doesn't release... until you're not ready for it to. This created a very dangerous situation.

I knew I still had a round in the chamber, so kept the gun pointed downrange; and suddenly the hammer just released while I was trying to see if there was an obstruction keeping the hammer from coming all the way to the rear or making it stick, and of course it fired as I was actually letting pressure OFF the trigger. After that happened with the cheap range ammo, I tried a couple of rounds of the Hornady that I would carry in the gun (even though I didn't think it'd make a difference with this particular issue), and got the same result... pull the trigger all the way back, nothing; as I let pressure off the trigger, a pause, and then BANG!

If someone with no firearm experience had bought this gun, like several of the folks I saw at the range, I could envision them pointing the muzzle of the thing at themselves or towards the lane next to them, perplexed, and trying to figure out what was wrong, and the gun suddenly firing.

I'll start a thread about it to get some feedback on the issue.

·
Registered
8,797 Posts
G8R8U2 - sorry to hear about the TCP - send that puppy home for a fix.

So, how did you like the 740 8rd. mags?? I think they give the 740 a whole new feel, even better than the Pierce mag extender. Wishing I had bought more.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
G8R8U2 - sorry to hear about the TCP - send that puppy home for a fix.

So, how did you like the 740 8rd. mags?? I think they give the 740 a whole new feel, even better than the Pierce mag extender. Wishing I had bought more.
They were outstanding; performed better than I expected... and, like you, now wish I had bought more.

Like you said, initially it was difficult to load the last 2 rounds, and I was doing it with a loader; but as far as feeding and working, they were flawless... shot perfectly from the first pull of the trigger to the last.

And by the time I was done, after loading and running each 3 times, I could load all 8 rounds by hand in both without the loader on the final reload.

The 740 has always fit my hand really well even with the standard mag; but the extended one did feel good and my first string at 21 feet, shooting at a pretty good clip, impressed me... I was actually a little surprised at how good it was and found myself grinning like a kid with a sno-cone in August. Had 3 of the first 8 rounds go in essentially the same hole.

Anyway, I commenced to shredding that silhouette to the chest and head at increasing distances; and had so much fun I wished I'd had more time and ammo. Amazing how good that gun feels to shoot; I have none of the "snappy" recoil issues reported by others... I could run that thing all day long.

Reactions: Wino
1 - 20 of 33 Posts