Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Scopes for Raging Bull

18K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  dave29 
#1 ·
Ok...now that I have my scope base mount ordered, i'm looking for scope suggestions. I've hunted pigs with a rifle/scope combination but now I want to try it with my Taurus. It's a 454 6 1/2 barrel. I've shot some red dots in 44mag and liked them however, this handgun hunting will be a new experience for me and i'm open for suggestions.
Thank you in advance fo rany help.
dave29
ps....if I posted this in the wrong place, please feel free to move it Mr. Moderator.

#2 ·
Let me start by saying scopes have improved a lot over the years. You can find cheaper scopes now that work well. I started using Leupold, Burris, and TC scopes years ago and shook a few of them apart. I favor a fix power 2 X or 4 X on heavy recoil hand guns. Make every effort to mount the front of the scope behind the ports. The blast from the ports works on a scope. I like the Taurus mount that mounts to the rib and Weaver quad rings. The combination has never let a scope move. Also if I have had to remove a scope and mount it went back extremely close to zero. When buying a hand gun scope hold it at arms length and look through it. That is what it will be like looking through it when it is mounted on your gun. Burn powder and have fun.

#5 ·
On a Raging Bull 454 I have a 2 X Leupold, on one 44 I have a 4 X Leupold, on another a 4X TC scope. I shoot a lot off hand and like the 2 to 4 X scopes best. I have handgun scopes that go to 12 X but the lower the power the easier to shoot off hand and the longer the eye relief. For deer and coyotes a 2 X works fine for me past 100 yards.

#6 ·
Dave..hold that thought..I have a mount coming in for my Ragin Bull 8 3/8" .454. I bought a 2-8x32 Ijk Swedish Hand Gun Scope at the last gun show here in Fort Worth last week. I have seen these vendors at our gun shows for the last 2 years. here's what I was told: These scopes have been designed and tested on the S&W .500, The Taurus Casull .454 and 44Mags. for recoil shock. They offer a "Limited" Lifetime Warranty for recoil damage, just send it back w/$20 and we'll fix it or send you a new one back.

Here's the kicker: $150 w/rings, satin stainless or blued.

So I have one and hoping my Taurus Mount comes in tomorrow and I may go out and test it. Unfortunately I only have 70 rounds of Big Bore .454, so we'll see if it shakes apart in 25 rounds or more.

I'll post a pic tomorrow too.

#7 ·
I agree with Vonzipper, wait and see how his does. As I said before scopes have got better. Look back at past threads and on some other hunting handgun sites. Contenders give scopes a good shaking. Bushnell, Simmons, and several companies make a cheaper scope than Leupold, Burris, etc. The difference between what Vonzipper paid for scope and rings will buy a set of Lee dies if you reload.

#9 ·
On my Ragging Bull 44 mag., I have the Leupold VX 3 2.5-8x32mm. I have not used it for hunting yet, but it has worked real well at the range. I hoping to take it out for deer one of these season. As others have said there may be cheaper makes out there, but I was unsure on the shock of a handgun for the scope, so I went with the Leupold, since I have had success with my rigle scopes. It was also a gift so it may have been a bit more than I would have bought if I was buying self. My dad had Bushnell 4x on his Dan Wesson 357 mag for over 20 years and it still is going strong.

#10 ·
Still waiting on my mounting bracket here. It was supposed to be here today based on the web site's shipping info of 3-5 days. I had figgered Monday but remembered it was a Holiday yesterday. Hopefully tomorrow evening when my mail comes in and then to the range on Thursday. It was 70 today and 78 tomorrow.

5 Day Weather Forecast and Conditions for 76109

Here's the scope waiting on the Taurus Mount. I got the black mount because I couldn't find a silver mount anywheres on the net the last couple of weeks.

I did put it on one of my AR's and its super clear. Nitrogen filled, waterproof and a buttery and satin on focusing.

#16 ·
Still waiting on my mounting bracket here. It was supposed to be here today based on the web site's shipping info of 3-5 days. I had figgered Monday but remembered it was a Holiday yesterday. Hopefully tomorrow evening when my mail comes in and then to the range on Thursday. It was 70 today and 78 tomorrow.

Here's the scope waiting on the Taurus Mount. I got the black mount because I couldn't find a silver mount anywheres on the net the last couple of weeks.

I did put it on one of my AR's and its super clear. Nitrogen filled, waterproof and a buttery and satin on focusing.
vonzipper did you check with Taurus for a stainless mount? I see them offered on their website but didn't know if they were in stock. Looking forward to seeing how your new scope works out.

Taurus International Manufacturing Inc

Coop

#14 ·
grrrrr..was still waiting on my Taurus mount after 2 weeks. Order it on the phone from Able Ammo on 9th of Feb. I did check my bank account and noticed nothing has gone thru on my card, so I called them today. they checked and couldn't find any orders on it

SO..reordered the blue 8 3/8" scope mount again, only this time thru the web and got a confirmation and saw that its hit my card already.. Here we go again..3-5 days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.