Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
going to grab a mount and set it up with a scope... what scopes have you guys who've done this had success with?

thanks!

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Sir there are a lot of good scopes on the market now. I have been using scopes on handguns for years. Leupold was was one of the first that could handle the recoil of heavy hitters. I have used them longer and more than the rest on handguns with recoil. Have Burris, TC, Bushnell, Weaver, Nikon, Tasco, etc. The 2 X Leupold I put on a Raging Bull 454 back when they came out has never lost zero, it has had hundreds of rounds fired under it. Whatever you buy set it back from the ports in the barrel enough to keep port blast away from it. Use good rings and check the screws after a box or two of ammo. It helps to start with light loads and work up if you have not shot heavy recoil revolvers with a scope. Shoot at least 3 shot groups before making adjustments. Have fun

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
awesome, *******! thanks!

im looking for dimensions as well, is there a certain length that seems to work better than others, how large of an eye relief do i need to be able to see the crosshairs from arms length?

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Sir on handgun scopes the higher the magnification the shorter the eye relief. I like a 2 X or 4 X fix power for handguns that have a lot of recoil. I also shoot off hand a lot. Being over 6' tall with long arms the better quality scopes have had the longer eye relief I needed for years. Lately even the cheap scopes at low power have had long relief. I put a 4 X Tasco on a Tracker in 22 long rifle that has as much eye relief as my Leupold and Burris 4 X scopes. It is not as clear but cost a fraction of what they did. When shopping for a scope hold it at arms length and look through it. That way you can see what it will be like on your gun.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
outstanding advice, sir - i sincerely appreciate it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts