Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a new H&R ultra light slug hunter. Any suggestions on a scope? Never have had one. I was thinking the longest shot I would attempt would be 200yds. I know, seems long for a shotgun, but my uncle witnessed a shot that long with this same model. I doubt if I do, but ya never know.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Yeah, 200 yards might be stretching it a bit. As to the scope, you might find a straight 4x will work well at shorter ranges. Or you might want the flexibility of a variable. I have a Tasco World Class 3x9x40 on my CVA Hunterbolt Muzzleloader, and it works great. It's a decent quality scope for the money ($55), and it has a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
27,530 Posts
Yeah, and there's a video on youtube of a 1000 yard shot on an elk. Doesn't mean it should have been taken - and doesn't mean it would be right for me to take it. A 200 yard shot with a slug is a matter of luck. I have never seen a shotgun - even with a slug barrel that groups well enough at 200 yards to make that a shot I'd be willing to take. There is an inherent problem with slugs - at around 150 yards they transition to subsonic. The turbulence opens up the group, so that at 200 yards you're lucky to group less than 12"-18".
As far as recommending a scope, you don't say anything about how or where you're going to hunt. Tree-stand, walking, with dogs, open field, swamp. woods... Those factors mean more to scope choice than anything else.
Remember that the more powerful the scope, the slower it is to pick up the target. If you really want a scope, I'd go with a 1-4 or 1.5-4.5.
Compact, light, fast.

·
Super Moderator
21,609 Posts
I agree and go to you tube and see if you can find any shots at 200 yards with a shotgun. I bet they are few and far in between. Even a rifled barrel and Sabot slug.
Your pushing it.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
on my slug gun i have leupold var.x 2 1-4 power. love that scope,i have taken a lot of deer using that scope. what type of slugs do you use that you would shoot 200 yds. i like the win. BRI sabots 12 gauge 1 oz. i know most of the new sabot slugs will shoot 150yds., but the problem i found with them is they are to light. i was having slugs ricochet off of sapling branches and missing deer. they are in the 385 gr. range most of the new sabot slugs, they are alright if you are hunting in the open over a cut field.

·
Registered
860 Posts
For a shotgun imo a x4 scope is all you need. Two good affordable brands that I'd recommend would be Ncstar or Barsca. I'm sure there are other good scopes out there, but these are the two brands that I've used and liked.

·
Banned
893 Posts
200 yds with a shotgun, that is one of the things in life you have to see for yourself, anyways if you plan on 200 yds or abouts, I would go with at least 16X but that is a personal choice.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Man 200 yds is a looong shot. But....if you ever make one, you'll have a lifetime of "Yep, I did it with a shotgun"!!!!

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I use a 2-7x32 Redfield on my Mossberg. It gives me a good field of view up close but lets me stretch it out a tad. Not 200 yds though. Plus make sure you get a scope with a little more eye relief. I had one that had a bit over 3"relief and with a 3" slug, it would touch my glasses. The Redfield has close to 4" so I no longer have to worry

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
I use a 2-7x32 Redfield on my Mossberg. It gives me a good field of view up close but lets me stretch it out a tad. Not 200 yds though. Plus make sure you get a scope with a little more eye relief. I had one that had a bit over 3"relief and with a 3" slug, it would touch my glasses. The Redfield has close to 4" so I no longer have to worry
Yes the long eye relief is a must! Other than that it's your choice, remember though the higher power scopes field of vision narrows and may make it harder to reacquire your target....

1.1 USA.gif

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
Bushnell offers 5" eye relief in the Bone Collector Series. Look at the 3-9x40 model.

Nikon offers a Slughunter 3-9x40 model, with a BDC 200 reticle.

FYI, Tar-Hunt shotguns are specialized hunting shotguns that can shoot sub-MOA. For them, a 200 yard shot is easily possible in the hands of even the marginally competent. Of course, not too many people will spend upwards of $2000.00 to achieve this.

March, 97 Tack

Scopes, and power available, vary widely. If you're hunting in heavily wooded areas, lower magnification is what you need. If, however, you're doing the equivalent of a "Beanfield Rifle" hunting, you'll need something like the 3-9x40.

"anyways if you plan on 200 yds or abouts, I would go with at least 16X but that is a personal choice."

A deer, even the collie-sized Texas deer, will need far less than a 16x scope, even at 200 yards. Too much scope makes it very easy to lose the target from the field-of-view, or, if you find it, to actually see what part of the deer you're looking at. Not all of that hair covers a lethal spot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts