Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
By scope I mean a red dot or reflex sight.

I have a Romanian SAR 1 that I bought in 2002. I was going through some things yesterday and discovered I have a scope mount for the AK. I have tried a few scopes over the years that would not hold zero and always ended up removing them.

Now that I found the mount I have a new itch to put either a red dot or reflex sight on it.

What say you; scope or no scope on an AK?

If yes, what would you recommend?

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Palmettostatearmory.com has a sale on for the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8x20 scope for $200 off using coupon code "strike", it comes out to a little over $333 with tax and shipping, excellent scope with a lighted reticle.

Reactions: Tracker627

·
Administrator
19,039 Posts
My Egyptian MAADI AKM has an Ultimak Mount with a Hammers Red/Green Dot Optic with a 2x Magnifier on it, a setup that works very well.
This setup however, uses a forward mount that replaces the Gas Tube.

If you are using a mount that is on the Frame above the Grip, this places the mount closer to your eye. For that I would choose a Reflex Optic.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My Egyptian MAADI AKM has an Ultimak Mount with a Hammers Red/Green Dot Optic with a 2x Magnifier on it, a setup that works very well.
This setup however, uses a forward mount that replaces the Gas Tube.

If you are using a mount that is on the Frame above the Grip, this places the mount closer to your eye. For that I would choose a Reflex Optic.
Yes I am planning to use the frame mount. Any recommendations for a Reflex Optic that won't break the bank?

My objective is fast target acquisition, not necessarily long range shooting. It is an AK after all. :)

Reactions: pegasus and jwc007

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
I have an acquaintance who has a SAR-1 and he has a scope mount that attaches on the left side of the receiver, sort of between the pistol grip and the magazine well. He initially tried a variety of very cheap red dots which held zero on his 22 lr's and his AR's but not the SAR. He ended up getting a Bushnell TSR-25 and it's been holding zero so far, as far as I know.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Does it have a really janky underfold or sidefold stock on it?:unsure:

If not, then I don't think a scope is allowed- since every scoped AK I've ever ran into had a really loose folding stock on it. :giggle::whistle:

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Hi-Lux make one of their CMR scopes specifically for the drop of the 7.63x39. I have one on my CZ 527. Its a 1-4x with a illuminated reticle and at 1x it functions well using it like a red dot, but still good when you have dead batteries.

Maloy

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does it have a really janky underfold or sidefold stock on it?:unsure:

If not, then I don't think a scope is allowed- since every scoped AK I've ever ran into had a really loose folding stock on it. :giggle::whistle:
No it has a mil spec adjustable stock.

·
Administrator
19,039 Posts
Any recommendations for a Reflex Optic that won't break the bank?
The Pinty and Sightmark Eotech Clones are good, but there are others:

Of these, the Sightmark Ultra Shot M-Spec Reflex Sight would be my pick.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have a Precision Arms Slx-3x microprism on my WASR. The sight is no bigger than many dots, and with the ACSS horseshoe reticle, is purely dandy for close-in shooting, but also has a chevron and range ladder for longer shots. It also has a bullet drop compensator optimized for 7.62x39/.300BKO. There's also a 5.56/5.45 model. You can get the AK sight/mount combo from the AKOU store for right at $400. Annihilator GEN 4 Optic Combo Pack - SLx 3X MicroPrism (akoperatorsunionlocal4774.com)
Machine gun Air gun Trigger Shotgun Wood

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yes I am planning to use the frame mount. Any recommendations for a Reflex Optic that won't break the bank?

My objective is fast target acquisition, not necessarily long range shooting. It is an AK after all. :)
"Won't break the bank" means very different things to different people. And what sort of optic you need depends on what you want it to do, not really very much what you are mounting it on.

All that being said, take a look at the various Holosun optics and Primary Arms optics. Both tend to be excellent values of good quality at a good price.

·
Super Moderator
20,179 Posts
If it’s OK with everyone I’m just gonna stick with the old fashioned ladder sights that came on my AK.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have had food luck with a Tasco red/green dot that I paid about $30 for. One is on a Ruger PC9 and another on a 10/22. Both have held zero over about 2 years. They are kinda big and clunky looking, but my old eyes can see the dot and target. Iron sights are either clear sights and blurry target or the reverse. Shooting with a rifle is much more enjoyable with the red dot.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts