Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The RB22 does not have continuous dovetail rail because it is a bolt rifle. My fav scope (Sweet 22, BSA, 2-7x32, 9.5" length) will not mount because its forward tube spot does not match up with the forward bit of dovetail rail on the gun.

Anyone else solve this puzzle? (I am running low on aspirin.)

Cantilever or other extension/riser would block the breach.
Would like to keep the iron sights so getting a longer scope would not work.

(I want it all, I want it my way, and I want it now... I'm an American.)

Attachments

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Interesting problem. I'll start with saying I don't know anything about the gun. But is there such a thing as a "single" cantilever mount so you don't have the base crossing the ejection port?

Maybe?
https://www.opticsplanet.com/safariland-single-cantilever-ring-mount.html

Would the base of this one protrude over the ejection port?
https://www.opticsplanet.com/aero-precision-ultralight-30mm-scope-mount-spr.html

I know it says Remington 700 but would these work?
https://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold-backcountry-2-pc-base-ring-rem-700-1-med-matte.html

Another possibility?
https://www.opticsplanet.com/nikon-p-series-mount.html

I think that's all I got!

·
Super Moderator
36,037 Posts
The right cantilever mount may also provide clearance below the scope to give BUIS usage.

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
Find a pair of scope mounts half as thick as you currently show on the rear and taller. Then you will be able to move the scope slightly forward enough for the front scope mount to fit on the rail. If that fails, buy a longer scope.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can not find any offset/cantilever rings for RB22; (1.5" of rear dovetail, then 1.75" breach, then 1.0" of forward dovetail).

Called Rossi (Taurus) cust svc. No accessories, options or suggestions. Gave me the ph# to try Bushnell. Yuck.

Found a couple of ring sets with one that is cantilever and one that is not and also with a 1" rise. Likely to go down that path unless give up and remove the iron sights. Yuck.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting problem. I'll start with saying I don't know anything about the gun. But is there such a thing as a "single" cantilever mount so you don't have the base crossing the ejection port?
Good idea about cantilever with a single mount foot. Looked at them and they all have foot that is around 2.5" long. The RB22 only has 1.5" of rear dovetail. Hacksaw? Hate to go there but just might need to.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Thanks!
Wish this and other common offset mounts would work... did the math/length numbers... no go.
Well if you can do math... Find one that can be cut down and take it to the high school or college votech machine shop.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Found a solution.
Leupold Rifleman Detachable See-Thru High Rings (on Zon for under $20). Yea!

These are narrow rings so they did not have a big foot print and since they are Leupold's I was not worried about lots of torque.

AND I can still see iron sights. Big Yea!

Will test it out soon (and advise only if a prob).

FYI's
- Leupold rings #57323
- BSA 2-7x32 AO Compact scope. (under $60, Wally's etc.)

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
daveindenver...how smooth is the action of the bolt? I feel the urge to get one :) The only bolt action rifle I have is an old Noble single shot .22 that I got 55 years ago!!! 25.JPG

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
daveindenver...how smooth is the action of the bolt? I feel the urge to get one :) The only bolt action rifle I have is an old Noble single shot .22 that I got 55 years ago!!!
Short version on the bolt action:
It's just fine.

Long version:
First I have to say that I have no other bolt guns. The RB22 is the first one. I have some auto's but wanted a go-slow concentrate on the shot bolt gun because of their rep for better accuracy, SV ammo is good (better?) and can be quieter. So I picked the best inexpensive bolt rifle, according to lots of reading/review, available today. Start low-cost then move up as my skills allow. Could not find the RB22 in any gun shop. Ordered it blind base on writeups and that it is a clone, from the manufacturer themselves, of the well known Mossberg 802.

After some prep and 300 rounds the bolt action has smoothed out a lot. Really noticeable and glad of it. It is not butter smooth or hefty like some big-bore rifles I've shot. Nor does it feel like a well machined polished tool like the CZ bolt belonging to my friend that I have shot on occasion. The bolt action on the RB22 did feel well made, had no hangups and locks down convincingly. I ragged the bolt down when I got it home, put on some quality synth gun oil, cycled it 50 times and ragged it down again. Big improvement with just that. Now that I have 300 rounds through it it has taken another good step forward. During the 100 shots I did last week I did not even think about or notice the bolt action one bit... just POA/POI/weld learning with a new gun. I'd buy it again.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Thanks!!! The RB22 and the KelTec PMR30 have my attention at the moment,but I have plenty of pistolas, time I brought a long gun into the fold.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks!!! The RB22 and the KelTec PMR30 have my attention at the moment,but I have plenty of pistolas, time I brought a long gun into the fold.
The PMR30 sure looks fun. However it is on the far end of the .22 spectrum from a RB22.
Q: What's a person to do?
A: Get both!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Found a solution.
Leupold Rifleman Detachable See-Thru High Rings (on Zon for under $20). Yea!

These are narrow rings so they did not have a big foot print and since they are Leupold's I was not worried about lots of torque.

AND I can still see iron sights. Big Yea!

Will test it out soon (and advise only if a prob).

FYI's
- Leupold rings #57323
- BSA 2-7x32 AO Compact scope. (under $60, Wally's etc.)

The setup above would not hold. (Leupold rings would not stay in place w/ lots of torque. rats. Rifle is so light... but still it's just a .22lr SV ammo.)

Put on a low rail with low rings... works!

Attachments

·
Registered
18,804 Posts
Now you've got a reason to get a new gun to fit the scope and a new scope to fit the gun...:unsure:...y'all just over complicate everything.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Now you've got a reason to get a new gun to fit the scope and a new scope to fit the gun...:unsure:...y'all just over complicate everything.
Yep... moving target. (Was that a pun?)
If I just removed the irons sights to start with (but I like them) then I would not have the clearance issues along with dealing with the two little 1" dovetail segments. Well it was a rabbit hole of my making.

·
Super Moderator
17,704 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts