Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wine making.
I had done some years ago and it was really good. For four years I made blackberry in the spring and scuppernong in the fall. My Kids liked going to pick the fruit with me.
My daughter has got a bug and has blackberries and mulberries read to go. But she hasn't got a clue how to get started. I'm going over to her basement to get her started. She came over and got all my equipment last week. She got fresh yeast and ingredients from the wine store yesterday or I should say, I got a phone call from her when she was at the Yeasty Beasty asking what to get. So "we" are going to cook off five gallons of each.
The formula and staying clean and sterile is science but its an art to get fine wine.
I'm anal retentive, OCD, Rainman when making wine. Most artists are crazy nuts.
Mad scientist or crazy artist? Mostly just nuts but a few glasses of wine and nobody's wiser.
Hey, i got my Label! Jekyll and Hyde wine.

·
Banned
1,582 Posts
I used to make wine but haven't in over twenty years. Best tasting I ever made was fifteen gallons made after discovering an old pasture overgrown with wild plums. My dad made a batch from persimmons that was the most delicious wine I've ever had. I keep wanting to start wine making and beer brewing again, just haven't gotten motivated enough to actually do it.

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
Scuppernong?
Never heard of it.
Any good?
That makes two of us.

I personally think wine making is art mixed with science. You can get good wine with science, but to get great wine there is something else....

·
Registered
14,604 Posts
Winemaking is indeed part science, part art. The science of sterility, mixes, yeasts, etc. The creativity and blending is the artistry.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Muscadine and scuppernong grapes are the only grape native to North America. Muscadine is red/black and scuppernong is white.
They are starting to be made available commercially in stores across the south. University of Southern Mississippi Co op along with local vineyards have been making money. Big company's have bought in and its in some stores as juice and fresh produce in the fall.

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
A bit of both. It does involve science but winemaking would never be described as purely scientific. And anyone who denies the artistry of the winemaker is foolish.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Muscadine and scuppernong grapes are the only grape native to North America. Muscadine is red/black and scuppernong is white.
They are starting to be made available commercially in stores across the south. University of Southern Mississippi Co op along with local vineyards have been making money. Big company's have bought in and its in some stores as juice and fresh produce in the fall.
Learning all the time, learning all the time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts