Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
35,540 Posts
I don't find the recoil of my P11 objectionable even with +P 115 JHPs. My old Grendel P12 carries 12 rounds of .380, is 12 ounces and slightly thinner and smaller than the P11. It's a straight blow back and STILL isn't objectionable. Oddly, my Radom P64's recoil makes either the P11 or the P12 feel like a .22...:laugh: Felt recoil varies from shooter to shooter and gun to gun. That radom weighs over 20 ounces and is PPK sized. Sure, 9x18 Mak is a little hotter than .380, but not all that much. I still like shooting that thing, though. I've got handguns that recoil MUCH worse that I like shooting, magnum revolvers and such.

Reactions: Yissnakk

·
Registered
37,073 Posts
a lot of recoil comfort is how it fits the shooters hand and what type grips are on the gun.
to me the most offending 2 pocket type pistols that I have shot is the taurus TCP and the beretta pico.
both are just to thin for my hand and eats the web of my hand.
I can shoot my Sig 238, the Sig 365 (9 MM) , the ATI 380 (Browning clone), Bersa thunder all day long basically with no discomfort at all.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I still do not understand the necessity for SCCY to make this weapon.. It is virtually the same size as the CPX 1 or 2. The 9mm models can be found below $200 many places and 9mm ammo cheaper and...not getting into the which caliber is better debate, buttttttt. I had an old SKKY ...one of the original products. Piece of crap...but I worked with it and with a great CS dept the firearm became 100% reliable. To each their own though.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I still do not understand the necessity for SCCY to make this weapon.. It is virtually the same size as the CPX 1 or 2. The 9mm models can be found below $200 many places and 9mm ammo cheaper and...not getting into the which caliber is better debate, buttttttt. I had an old SKKY ...one of the original products. Piece of crap...but I worked with it and with a great CS dept the firearm became 100% reliable. To each their own though.
CXP3 is a similar concept as the S&W 380EZ .. Bigger 380 for easier shooting maybe more accurate shooting ..,
But I see your point of view..

·
Super Moderator
35,540 Posts
I don't carry my old Grendel P12 much anymore. The P12 is a predecessor design to the Kel Tec P11 which was copied when the SCCY came out. I like the trigger on my Kel Tec P11, smooth and progressive staging ever so slightly at the end, but not enough to hurt rapid shooting. The Grendel trigger is awful. I've learned to use it, but still don't like it. It's not as accurate as the P11 either. I think George Kelgren did a good job addressing these failings with his redesign into the P11. I still keep the P11 in my carry options and carry it now and then, but the old Grendel collects dust. It's not just the caliber and the fact that the Grendel isn't quite as accurate or that the trigger isn't nearly as good. BUT, yeah, why carry the Grendel when the P11 is 9mm and more accurate to boot!? BUT, some folks don't WANT a 9. I don't find my 9s objectionable at all to shoot, but some might. A locked breech design has less felt recoil and most of the new subcompact .380s are locked breech.

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
It's just a wee bit shorter, barrel/slide-wise than the CPX2, which isn't a large gun by any stretch. The general CPX design is very light and the recoil is (for me, at least) marginal and no issue. I will probably be looking at one when the colored models are out and the price drops a little. As for why .380ACP? I say, why not? It really could have been just a teensy bit smaller but still a lot smaller than the wife's PK380 and 3 more rounds.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I don't carry my old Grendel P12 much anymore. The P12 is a predecessor design to the Kel Tec P11 which was copied when the SCCY came out. I like the trigger on my Kel Tec P11, smooth and progressive staging ever so slightly at the end, but not enough to hurt rapid shooting. The Grendel trigger is awful. I've learned to use it, but still don't like it. It's not as accurate as the P11 either. I think George Kelgren did a good job addressing these failings with his redesign into the P11. I still keep the P11 in my carry options and carry it now and then, but the old Grendel collects dust. It's not just the caliber and the fact that the Grendel isn't quite as accurate or that the trigger isn't nearly as good. BUT, yeah, why carry the Grendel when the P11 is 9mm and more accurate to boot!? BUT, some folks don't WANT a 9. I don't find my 9s objectionable at all to shoot, but some might. A locked breech design has less felt recoil and most of the new subcompact .380s are locked breech.
And, to imagine the P12 was an improvement over the P10. I had a P10 back in the day. I have to say it was a design ahead of it's time. No one else was making a gun so small that carried so many rounds. It just had a really bad trigger and wasn't the easiest to load. Though once I figured out to use the "speed strips" aka M-16 stripper clips it did get a little easier.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
a lot of recoil comfort is how it fits the shooters hand and what type grips are on the gun....... Bersa thunder all day long basically with no discomfort at all.
I've got my eye out for a used Bersa 380. If I don't run across one soon, I'm going to have to go new.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Super Moderator
35,540 Posts
And, to imagine the P12 was an improvement over the P10. I had a P10 back in the day. I have to say it was a design ahead of it's time. No one else was making a gun so small that carried so many rounds. It just had a really bad trigger and wasn't the easiest to load. Though once I figured out to use the "speed strips" aka M-16 stripper clips it did get a little easier.
Yeah, the P12 solves the loading problem with 11 round magazines. It has a unique mag latch that I really like, quick and easy to use, yet no button since this is a pocket gun. However, that trigger sux. :rofl: I don't know if it's the trigger that kills accuracy for me, but I could only get less than half the accuracy out of it as my P11. Now, that's not a REAL big deal for defense. You ain't gonna be shootin' at 25 yards in a self defense scenario, I just kinda like accuracy. :D The trigger stages backwards, IOW it starts out stiff and gets lighter toward the end of its travel. That makes it the devil to control. I also carved part of the front of the trigger guard away to have room for my finger. Before I did that, I had to shoot it with my finger tip so that it would reset after the shot.

All in all, I'll leave it in the safe. :lol: If by some reason I need a gun for back pocket carry, the Grendel does work better than most, though, but I've gotten out of back pocket carry.

Those magazines are plastic and when I got it, I thought they'd be weak. But, they've lasted and still work well, some TOUGH plastic. :D

Reactions: morrcarr67

·
Registered
37,073 Posts
I've got my eye out for a used Bersa 380. If I don't run across one soon, I'm going to have to go new.
saw a lovely lil Bersa thunder in mate nickel this afternoon at the range-- it was listed at 269 bucks, not a bad price I don't think.
handsome lil james bond looking thing!
I could likely have gotten just a few bucks cheaper as I am a member of the range and frequent flyer in the gun shop.
and I have a weakness for the thunder, fortunately I have 2 already or it might have came home with me.
over the years I must have 5-6 mags for these things as well.

Reactions: NativeTexan

·
Registered
998 Posts
I bought a used Bersa SS model Thunder 380 from a local pawn shop. Great looking and accurate, only problem was it had been Bubbadized to no end. The trigger pull was about 3 pounds in DA and next to nothing in SA. Extra large mag release. Had several multi fires from the thing when the trigger was pulled. One day I told the owner of a LGS about it. He had worked for Bersa and offered me either to completely repair it for a min charge or trade for an older S&W SD9 that was not the prettiest but very functional. Had the SD9 for a few years with no problems. Sure wish they made a Bersa 9mm in the same style.

·
Super Moderator
35,540 Posts
I bought a used Bersa SS model Thunder 380 from a local pawn shop. Great looking and accurate, only problem was it had been Bubbadized to no end. The trigger pull was about 3 pounds in DA and next to nothing in SA. Extra large mag release. Had several multi fires from the thing when the trigger was pulled. One day I told the owner of a LGS about it. He had worked for Bersa and offered me either to completely repair it for a min charge or trade for an older S&W SD9 that was not the prettiest but very functional. Had the SD9 for a few years with no problems. Sure wish they made a Bersa 9mm in the same style.
:rofl: Yeah, putting that spring kit in my Radom P64 really helped make the DA usable, but man, that single action is WAY too light! I have to concentrate or I'll get a machine pistol affect. :rofl: I know what ya mean. There was a guy on another site that described how he fixed that with a stiffer trigger return spring he had to fabricate, don't remember out of what, but I never pursued that.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I have 2 of the CPX 2 in 9mm. Doubt I would buy one of the 380's. The guns do have a terrible trigger & are so light they are almost TOY like. That said, I still like them. Good looking pistol & for the money they are acceptable. Both of mine have the black slide. Just for goofs I would like one in SS.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I put a CPX-3 on layaway yesterday. I like the 380 acp and own several of the little guys. (Remington RM380, Beretta Pico and Bersa 380cc.). I like the idea of 11 rounds in a small package. It probably won't replace my P365 for edc but I will carry it from time to time if it proves reliable.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts