Taurus Firearm Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
I have a temper. I carry a gun. There are bad drivers all over. I've learned to control my temper to an extent. It's tough to prove who is the instigator in a road rage situation without witnesses who see the whole incident, and are willing to testify. I just tell myself that I'm probably much better able to mitigate the situation than the other guy and go about my business. It's a tough lesson to learn. No matter the situation, the guy who is armed has at least one strike against him. Glad it turned out ok for you. BTDT, and it's a sobering incident.

·
Registered
18,467 Posts
I suppose I've only had one road rage incident, if you can call it that. I was 16 and driving through town on my way to a friend's house one evening for band rehearsal. I happened to come up behind a pickup while ascending one of the town's steep hills. I recognized the truck, an older Ford step-side outfitted with big tires and chrome wheels that was owned by a guy widely known as kind of a weirdo. He was a big guy and had a rep as somewhat of a bully, though I'd never had a problem with him.

He stopped dead in the middle of the hill, I was about two car lengths behind. We sat there for a few seconds, as I contemplated whether to try to go around him or get out and offer assistance as he may have broken down (it was a Ford, after all). Before I'd made up my mind, he rolled down his window and stuck his arm out with a gun in his hand. This was when the Dirty Harry movies were all the rage and though it was about dusk, I could tell the gun resembled a S&W .44 mag. There was a wall on one side of the street, guide rails on the other and really nowhere for me to go so I figured if this guy wanted to play "show & tell", I prob'ly oughta' play along.

Fortunately, I had been hunting all day and had just come out of the woods. My Model 99 .300 Savage was on the passenger side, leaning against the seat. I grabbed my rifle and began easing the long barrel out through my driver's side window. About the time he could see the front end of the scope, he pulled his arm and gun back inside. In a moment, he stuck his arm back out, sans gun and with a friendly kinda' wave, proceeded on his way. :unsure:...I've always wondered what that was all about.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Actually, in Texas, the guy that blocked him in and got out of his vehicle committed assault.

I'm curious as to your thinking...how is blokcing him in an Assault...getting out of once's car is not an assault...one's a felonyt (wqith the gun against a non armed individual) and the other, which you suggest, might be a misdemeanor, class "C" Assault by Threat with a fine at best...

Drive away from people like this..seems the entire incident is mutual agitation.

·
Supporting Moderator
14,818 Posts
I'm curious as to your thinking...how is blokcing him in an Assault...getting out of once's car is not an assault...one's a felonyt (wqith the gun against a non armed individual) and the other, which you suggest, might be a misdemeanor, class "C" Assault by Threat with a fine at best...

Drive away from people like this..seems the entire incident is mutual agitation.
^^^Definition of Road Rage^^^

·
Premium Member
10,958 Posts
So chasing someone down the road, blocking them in and attempting to force a confrontation is not, to your way of thinking, an assault? You do that in Houston and if the person you attack has a dash cam or independent witnesses, you will go to jail, and one of the charges will be assault. Especially if you tried forcing them off the road. It's one of the reasons I've had a dash cam since Harvey.

Reactions: william

·
Registered
265 Posts
So chasing someone down the road, blocking them in and attempting to force a confrontation is not, to your way of thinking, an assault? You do that in Houston and if the person you attack has a dash cam or independent witnesses, you will go to jail, and one of the charges will be assault. Especially if you tried forcing them off the road. It's one of the reasons I've had a dash cam since Harvey.

Well, first of all who was chasing whom ? "He jumps out of his truck, telling me he’s going to “mess me up” or something very similar."

Just because some individual has a CHL/LTC doesn't mean you have justification to wave a handgun around and make threats of your own. The commenter is fortunate the other person didn't call the police and claim he pointed a gun at him as the aggressor...guess who would have been headed to jail ??

Class "C" Assault by Threat...no actual contact made by vehicle or person to justify pointing a firearm at someone. Had the individual tried to enter his vehicle, all bets are off as the vehicle is an extension of 'castle doctrine' concept.<br>
You're right, the man with the gun may have gone to jail.

There is nothing in Chapter 9 of the state penal code which would justify his actions...and, if he did get charged and the case dismissed or acquitted he'd spend a lot of money trying to prove he did nothing wrong and that he did so in self defense.

Where do we draw the line on common sense ? They were both wrong. If I had this case as a Major Assaults case, it would look very bad for the gun owner. I know as I worked in homicide for 16 years in that big city.

·
Super Moderator
40,374 Posts
I passed a guy on a rural highway last Sunday and mid pass he swerves in my lane, trying to push me off the road (I guess). I floor it and the flip him off (my first mistake).

I floor it, get away and make a few turns and wind up at an intersection onto another rural highway. While at the light, the person I flipped off pulls up in the left turn lane partially blocking me in my lane.

He rolls down his window and starts screaming at me, I roll down my window and start telling him where to go (my second mistake).

He jumps out of his truck, telling me he’s going to “mess me up” or something very similar.

By the time he was able to run around his truck bed, I was able to produce my Walther 45, point it in his general direction, and scream out of my partially open window “stop stop stop stop stop stop”.

He turned and ran the other direction post haste.

I then left the intersection and started driving to the police station, he went the other direction.

All of this happened very quickly and the possibilities of what could have happened didn’t hit me until the next day.

Stay safe everyone and I know I owe a member here a shirt that I have been extremely negligent in shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glad everything worked out. I try my best to ignore other stupid people on the road. Before I carried I would have interacted with them letting them know how I feel. When I goy my carry permit I changed my perspective on it. Every once in a while someone does something real stupid on the road and I come close to reacting. Have to catch myself and hold back.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I've had this happen several times. One dude followed me at speeds up to 120mph after I passed him for doing 40 in a 55.

Some people just don't like to be passed....

....They see themselves as the pace-car.

Reactions: DeltaBravoKS

·
Registered
36,015 Posts
I've had this happen several times. One dude followed me at speeds up to 120mph after I passed him for doing 40 in a 55.

Some people just don't like to be passed....

....They see themselves as the pace-car.
yep! happened to me about 2 years or so ago.
I was tooling down this smaller road ( 2 lanes-1 each direction) and this vehicle pulls out in front of me barely moving, then continued down the road at like 20 MPH, speed limit was 45, well i was in my Lil PT Cruser GT (240 Plus HP) its very quick being a turbo) anyway so when i get to a good long straight away I pass him, the idiot when he saw me trying to pass actually sped up, didn't stand a chance as he was in a Jeep.
anyway so then I get up to about 50 or so and he starts tail gating me, so I come to a stop sign and the idiot tries to go around me on the right shoulder only to realize that there is a drop off, so he swerves back behind me, i am thinking what kind if idiot is this.
so he jumps out of his jeep, all the while i have eased my CZ out of between the seat and console and he runs up to my window hollering, I have the CZ in my lap, he is raising all kinds of hell and i ain't about to lower my window, finally he looks like he is going to hit the window , i simply raise my weapon and this idiot reaches in his front pocket and pulls out a cell phone--luckily for him and me i realize its a cell phone as its coming out of his pocket.
he finally sees the weapon and heads back to his jeep and goes around me thorough the stop sign and off.
I called the cops and gave them a description and what happened, never heard anymore about it--but really!!
now i never blew my horn, never made any gestures or anything--nuts I tell ya!

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
On my way home from doctor's office today. A woman decided she wanted my lane, she looked over her left shoulder, saw me looking at her from the drivers seat of my full sized white Ram pick up truck and just started moving into my lane.
I let loose with the train horns that are mounted just behind the front bumper. I dont think I've ever seen such terror on a person's face! She moved back into her lane and stayed there!
At the next light she was looking at the front of my truck and rolled her window down.
I rolled my passenger window down and she asked if I had heard a train. Told her nope, but I did see careless drivers all over.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
I used to do that before I carried, now I understand the gravity of being aggressive. If he would have dialed 911 before you did, you would be going to court to say the least. Your word against his word, after any confrontation you better be on that phone documenting every detail.

If he is coming at you threatening grievous bodily harm you do have the RIGHT to protect yourself here in FL.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I passed a guy on a rural highway last Sunday and mid pass he swerves in my lane, trying to push me off the road (I guess). I floor it and the flip him off (my first mistake).

I floor it, get away and make a few turns and wind up at an intersection onto another rural highway. While at the light, the person I flipped off pulls up in the left turn lane partially blocking me in my lane.

He rolls down his window and starts screaming at me, I roll down my window and start telling him where to go (my second mistake).

He jumps out of his truck, telling me he’s going to “mess me up” or something very similar.

By the time he was able to run around his truck bed, I was able to produce my Walther 45, point it in his general direction, and scream out of my partially open window “stop stop stop stop stop stop”.

He turned and ran the other direction post haste.

I then left the intersection and started driving to the police station, he went the other direction.

All of this happened very quickly and the possibilities of what could have happened didn’t hit me until the next day.

Stay safe everyone and I know I owe a member here a shirt that I have been extremely negligent in shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah. You pretty much did everything wrong in that situation. Anybody candy coating it otherwise is doing you no favors. How long did you tailgate him before you passed? Be honest.

Reactions: Old_Sp5

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Roiting/protesting here in Denver last night and the only thing the morning news is showing is video of idiots getting up on someone's car and then getting run over by said car. The girl who got ran over says the driver should face charges.
I say what the heck girl your lucky it wasn t an 18wheeler.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I didn't tailgate him, I passed him immediately.

Yeah. You pretty much did everything wrong in that situation. Anybody candy coating it otherwise is doing you no favors. How long did you tailgate him before you passed? Be honest.

·
Administrator
35,110 Posts
No need to assign blame. I think most everybody has been in a similar situation, whether it was when they were older or younger, the best we can hope for is to learn from it and do better next time.

Reactions: kschilk

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have learned that everybody does something careless or stupid every now and then (including me). To the people that have braked hard, swerved, or otherwise pulled my ass out of the fire I owe them and need to pull somebody else's ass out of the fire to pay my debt. Maybe the guy didn't swerve to knock you off the road, maybe he just dropped his beer and his crotch was getting wet.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts