Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Say guys, my reloading equipment kit did not come with a scale. Can anyone make suggestions as to what kind of scale to get? Should it be digital? Will a postal scale work? I am not experienced in using scales that measure in grains. I am used to scales that weigh in hundreds and thousands of pounds! :D

·
Administrator
40,361 Posts
The common beam scales work well and are the least expensive. I have no experience with digital and a postal scale may only measure ounces and on up. :angel:

·
Administrator
18,273 Posts
My first scale, which I still have is an RCBS 505, and it is still a very good deal, for the money!

My current scale is a Pact Digital Powder Scale and I highly recommend it!

·
Registered
356 Posts
I got a lyman beam scale but i also bought a pocket digital scale on ebay just
to double check both work great

·
Super Moderator
35,435 Posts
A beam balance gets the job done. I got a battery powered single pan digital balance off ebay for around 25 bucks, fantastic, reads in grains if so set, and quite accurate. It came with a standard weight. I can tare this scale, dump a charge, then weigh it right in the case which is way cool. It's real handy. The brand on it is "NEVA". Check it out on ebay. Really, it's a nice little scale and didn't cost what the higher priced stuff does. I still have an old Pacific beam balance that's 50 years old, but still works.

·
Registered
384 Posts
The 505 is a good scale. Lee's saftey scale is inexpensive as welder05 mentioned but can be a bit%h to read especially the 1/10gr poise. Also the Lee only weighs up to 110gr making it useless for weighing any medium to larger bullets or completed cartridges. With any beam scale, you're not going to load quickly as you must trickle your powder and wait for the scale to settle into its reading. Digitals are nice, but if money were no option I'd opt for a combination like the RCBS Charge Master combo that can repeatedly weigh and throw the same charge quickly.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Gray_Wolf said:
I have a Lee safety scale, it's kinda funky but it works....
Have to agree with you. It was my first scale and it still sits on the reloading bench and sees some action at times. All in all for the money spent it's been pretty good. My only concern has been reading the small 1/10th poise.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just thought I would tell you guys I won a 505 on Ebay for twenty plus bucks. lOOKED NEW!! Should get it shortly. Thanks for all your help.

·
Administrator
40,361 Posts
Set it up as if ready to use. Place all three counter weights on zero. Be sure it sits on a level surface. Now turn the front foot pad up or down until the beam pointer is at zero. When it is. Done. Also, zero it with the brass pan in place. :thumb: :zzz:

·
Registered
846 Posts
I have a beam, but I use a Frankford Arsonel digital scale I got from midway. They put them on sale all the time. Got mine at 1/2 price.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just got that Frankford one as well. I haven't opened it yet, but boy was I surprised how small it is. Hopefully it works well.

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
I've got the Lee. I'll agree with the 1/10th deal, but it's manageable.

I don't think a postal scale would suffice. Just to show the minute weights you're dealing with, a grain of rice (the one I that fell out of the tumbler) weighs .3 grains.

That should be something that you could weigh with the scale.

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
Just a useless FYI ... don't try and bend the flag on the Lee scale if it's rubbing the dampening magnet slightly. It will probably break as mine did and slice your finger open on the pointer ripping a chunk of finger nail off as well.

Just a heads up for the unsuspecting who are a slight perfectionist.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I had a nice Lee beam scale but if you want to speed things up and get fast,I believe easier and more accurate results, get a digital scale. A good RCBS rangemaster scale can be had for 100-125$ I believe (mine was 89$ on sale last summer). Once you get it you'll really appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I have also used the Lee Safety Scale for years.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Being a match shooter, mainly rifle, after using a digital scale and getting different readings from the same loaded pan, I went to the most consistantly accurate scale...the triple beam. Found an old Ohaus "Dial-a-grain" which consistantly gives me better than .05 tolerances. (Overkill!)
Funny story: Loading for a 300yd match...in the process of weighing one round I had a fruit fly land on the beam...the scale detected its weight! The little SOB changed the pointer position! Developed a lot of faith in the scale after that.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts