Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I have been married for 48 years.
Since the beginning of this year it was the first time we have been without a pooch in our family.
We lost our last little girl to age and spinal problems 6 months before we moved in April.
We were also involved in sighthound rescue for 25 years and had 3 greyhounds and then 3 whippets of our own.

In my opinion it is not a home without a dog in it. Or two, or three.
I love the sound of 4 little feet cruising around and having another heartbeat in the house.
And the companionship and snuggles of course.

Last Saturday we met up with a rescue organization and little P.B. came home with us.
He is a rat terrier, 4.5 years old and enough energy to cause spontaneous combustion.
He is more fun and surprisingly well behaved for being surrendered to rescue and then spending 10 days in a foster home.
He needs to lose about 6 more pounds as his former owner showed him love by making him fat. Already down two pounds in 10 days here.
He is a lot of fun to have around here and the house is now a home.
And of course he has bonded to my wife...............:(

0907201411a_resized.jpg

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Awesome! Love dogs, particularly Rottweilers. My brother had rat terriers and I did like them. They are smart and a good security systems.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rickenbacher39

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Terriers! The smartest of all.

Good for you, for him, and for "The Provider of Food", (as my terriers refer to Mrs.Flash).

·
Registered
29,842 Posts
My wife and I have been married for 48 years.
Since the beginning of this year it was the first time we have been without a pooch in our family.
We lost our last little girl to age and spinal problems 6 months before we moved in April.
We were also involved in sighthound rescue for 25 years and had 3 greyhounds and then 3 whippets of our own.

In my opinion it is not a home without a dog in it. Or two, or three.
I love the sound of 4 little feet cruising around and having another heartbeat in the house.
And the companionship and snuggles of course.

Last Saturday we met up with a rescue organization and little P.B. came home with us.
He is a rat terrier, 4.5 years old and enough energy to cause spontaneous combustion.
He is more fun and surprisingly well behaved for being surrendered to rescue and then spending 10 days in a foster home.
He needs to lose about 6 more pounds as his former owner showed him love by making him fat. Already down two pounds in 10 days here.
He is a lot of fun to have around here and the house is now a home.
And of course he has bonded to my wife...............:(

View attachment 467363
Six more pounds! He'll like a four legged skeleton...give the little guy a break!

·
Registered
16,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Six more pounds! He'll like a four legged skeleton...give the little guy a break!

This little guy is suppose to weigh around 16 pounds as he is an average sized rat terrier.
He scaled in at 23 lbs the day we picked him up. He looked like a sausage with eyeballs.
He's lost 2 lbs. and is already looking better and he certainly feels better with a lighter gait
and more energy.
Now if I wasn't such a porker................but that's another story.

·
21,915 Posts
Congratulations! Totally agree bout a house needing dogs!

You can never predict who they'll bond with. Of course, you can just get another, and see who that one bonds with. ;D

·
Super Moderator
35,498 Posts
This little guy is suppose to weigh around 16 pounds as he is an average sized rat terrier.
He scaled in at 23 lbs the day we picked him up. He looked like a sausage with eyeballs.
He's lost 2 lbs. and is already looking better and he certainly feels better with a lighter gait
and more energy.
Now if I wasn't such a porker................but that's another story.
Congratulations on the new addition to the home! He is a cutie and I am so glad that he's got people who will love him forever. I've got a pair of these for walking our rescue guy in the icy, Winter months. You and the Mrs may want to invest in something similar.

https://www.gearx.com/yaktrax-walker?gclid=CjwKCAjw19z6BRAYEiwAmo64LR2bOMJOfC1lMkllUgbg1LDLdSyDcqnQVOJnQ8XwbkQL7t_uQ4QLtRoCRAwQAvD_BwE#491=1851&501=745

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Congrats, I envy you so much. ...... Had six 'in house' dogs at one time for about a two year period, then time and/or illness took it's toll on all of them. My heart was crushed six times over a five year period. Oddly enough, I took the last one for her final vet trip 5 years ago yesterday. (I kept all their ages and dates on file) My cat, who was here before and after the dogs, left us about 3 years ago at 21. Another heartache.

Wife and I both would love to have a dog around but at this stage of life, the last thing I want to do is leave a dog behind. We understand when THEY go, but they don't understand when their humans disappear. ..... I suppose I could help out and foster, but I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to give one up the very first time I tried.

Decided not to have anymore pets for that reason, but then it appears the Lord had other plans and about 4 years ago a ferrell Manx cat showed up on my property. Couldn't help myself and put some food out. She was young, shy, and Leary, and it took 6 months before she finally let me touch her. ..... Now her favorite place is on my lap and she sleeps with us every night. Even after all this time though, she has little to do with my wife unless there is food involved.

Anyway, as I said, I envy you for your new family member. Can only imagine your joy.

·
Registered
7,438 Posts
Congrats on your new little friend.

Reactions: Rickenbacher39

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
BTW, any info on his history? What brought him to be in a rescue?

·
Registered
16,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BTW, any info on his history? What brought him to be in a rescue?

We don't know exactly why he was surrendered to rescue but we think it was either because the woman
who owned him was either too old to care for him any longer or she couldn't afford to care for him.
He did live with a single woman.

We have all of his records since his birth.
Everything from the breeder including who the sire and dam were and all his puppy records.
We also have records of all his vaccinations and vet care from then to the present date.
He has been neutered and chipped.
The rescue organization we worked with is very thorough.
Maybe a psyche eval would have been in order though as he is a little nutball.
He is fitting in very well so far and is starting to relax. In 6 months or so he should feel at home here.
It sure feels good to once again have 4 little feet cruising our home. Lots of smiles here.

·
Super Moderator
35,498 Posts
We don't know exactly why he was surrendered to rescue but we think it was either because the woman
who owned him was either too old to care for him any longer or she couldn't afford to care for him.
He did live with a single woman.

We have all of his records since his birth.
Everything from the breeder including who the sire and dam were and all his puppy records.
We also have records of all his vaccinations and vet care from then to the present date.
He has been neutered and chipped.
The rescue organization we worked with is very thorough.
Maybe a psyche eval would have been in order though as he is a little nutball.
He is fitting in very well so far and is starting to relax. In 6 months or so he should feel at home here.
It sure feels good to once again have 4 little feet cruising our home. Lots of smiles here.
Chip off the old block, eh?

·
Super Moderator
35,498 Posts
Congrats, I envy you so much. ...... Had six 'in house' dogs at one time for about a two year period, then time and/or illness took it's toll on all of them. My heart was crushed six times over a five year period. Oddly enough, I took the last one for her final vet trip 5 years ago yesterday. (I kept all their ages and dates on file) My cat, who was here before and after the dogs, left us about 3 years ago at 21. Another heartache.

Wife and I both would love to have a dog around but at this stage of life, the last thing I want to do is leave a dog behind. We understand when THEY go, but they don't understand when their humans disappear. ..... I suppose I could help out and foster, but I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to give one up the very first time I tried.

Decided not to have anymore pets for that reason, but then it appears the Lord had other plans and about 4 years ago a ferrell Manx cat showed up on my property. Couldn't help myself and put some food out. She was young, shy, and Leary, and it took 6 months before she finally let me touch her. ..... Now her favorite place is on my lap and she sleeps with us every night. Even after all this time though, she has little to do with my wife unless there is food involved.

Anyway, as I said, I envy you for your new family member. Can only imagine your joy.
The old dogs in the shelter are the last to be adopted, if ever. Most shelters have a policy that if the adopter cannot continue the care that they require that the animal be returned to them. You cat that adopted you sounds like a sweet one. They know who has saved their lives. We actually have a clause in the wills we prepared as to who will be in charge of our pets and some funding set aside for that purpose.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
The old dogs in the shelter are the last to be adopted, if ever. Most shelters have a policy that if the adopter cannot continue the care that they require that the animal be returned to them. You cat that adopted you sounds like a sweet one. They know who has saved their lives. We actually have a clause in the wills we prepared as to who will be in charge of our pets and some funding set aside for that purpose.

Can't read the 'Last Will", Czec ...... have read it once or twice before, brings me down. ........ Agree on the old dogs though, and I have thought that way often. If I were to adopt again, it would probably be an older dog. .... I would probably just ask 'who's been here the longest'. ..... I don't really care about breed or size. For me, it's all about them, very little about me.

As for my ferrel cat, now THAT was a long courtship. Over those 6 months, probably the last 5 months I saw her just about everyday. I would talk to her, but just ignore her. She would come around if I was out, but she would keep her distance. Dying for attention but afraid of everybody. That distance decreased over time as she began to trust me. Finally got her to take some treats out of my hand, about the third time, I scratched her head and that was 'all she wrote'.

Looking back, I'm guessing she was 8 months old, and I realized a couple weeks later that she had already been trapped and released by someone, as she has the clipped left ear. So she had been fixed and given her basic set of shots already. That was a big relief as I was getting frantic to socialize her as I needed to get her fixed before she went in heat. ....... Gave her shelter but would not let her come in the house until after my older cat passed.

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Super Moderator
35,498 Posts
Can't read the 'Last Will", Czec ...... have read it once or twice before, brings me down. ........ Agree on the old dogs though, and I have thought that way often. If I were to adopt again, it would probably be an older dog. .... I would probably just ask 'who's been here the longest'. ..... I don't really care about breed or size. For me, it's all about them, very little about me.

As for my ferrel cat, now THAT was a long courtship. Over those 6 months, probably the last 5 months I saw her just about everyday. I would talk to her, but just ignore her. She would come around if I was out, but she would keep her distance. Dying for attention but afraid of everybody. That distance decreased over time as she began to trust me. Finally got her to take some treats out of my hand, about the third time, I scratched her head and that was 'all she wrote'.

Looking back, I'm guessing she was 8 months old, and I realized a couple weeks later that she had already been trapped and released by someone, as she has the clipped left ear. So she had been fixed and given her basic set of shots already. That was a big relief as I was getting frantic to socialize her as I needed to get her fixed before she went in heat. ....... Gave her shelter but would not let her come in the house until after my older cat passed.
Very smart. A feral cat may have FIP and/or parasites that can be passed along.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts