Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know if cops or soldiers use ear protection while on duty.
If you have to use your gun without ear protection how many times can you fire it before it causes noticeable permanent hearing loss.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
When I was a kid my dad used to take us shooting, and I don't think he knew what hearing protection was. My ears would ring for days after shooting. As a result I've got a 10% hearing loss in my right ear, and trust me - it's noticeable. Especially when you're trying to understand what someone is saying on TV. I also have a constant ring in my ears, which I'm used to, but if I had my druthers.... It also makes you more sensitive to loud noises, so do yourself a favor and wear good hearing protection.

I recently picked up a set of Radian molded ear plugs to wear under my muffs, and they're without a doubt the most comfortable ear plugs I've ever had. They come in two parts, and you mix the parts together and stick it in your ears. Leave them in for ten minutes and you've got custom molded ear plugs. The tough part for me was that you can't open your mouth for ten minutes while the epoxy cures, but I made it. :D

·
Registered
708 Posts
Say what? Can't hear you. As a youngster I shot with out hearing protection. Not any more. Always wear ear plugs. Wish I had done that when I was a kid. Three hard of hearing men are walking down the street. First one says " windy isn' t it? " Second one says " no, it's thursday " . Third one says " Me too. lets go get a drink "

·
Registered
33 Posts
If im not mistaken the ear can take 80decibels for up to 8hrs without damage. I found a list of normal decibel levels that you may encounter.
10Normal breathing
50Interior home noise
70Crowded restaurant
80City traffic
85Hearing Damage Possible
90Lawn mower
120Threshold of Pain
120Siren
130Jackhammer
140Jet engine at takeoff
152.22 pistol
15612 gauge shotgun
157.45 ACP pistol
1609mm pistol
164.357 Magnum revolver

So with what being stated, i would go on the impression that firing a gun once can cause permanent damage, however i have shot my pt840 without hearing protection through two full mags and havent had any hearing loss(worked at a shipyard hearing got tested every 6months). The best thing to do is always use hearing protection when available, like the above shows once without protection can cause permanent damage and hearing loss.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
1 loud noise can cause permanent hearing damage, and it really sucks.

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
Hearing loss is insidious. It's sneaks up on you. It's cumulative and permanant. When my 4-H Club shoots, anyone on the range - including parents - wear hearing and eye protection. I've had some parents argue. My club, my range, my rules. I win.

·
10,379 Posts
I've a blown eardrum from being stupid when I was younger, loud noises make it buzz and rapidly turns into pain. I've gone to Metallica concerts that didn't affect my hearing as much as 2 mags of 1911 goodness with no hearing protection. Instant, bad, tinnitus that lasted 2 days, couldn't use the phone, watch TV, nothing. I still shoot .22 rifle without worrying too much about hearing protection, but, pistols/large rifles don't come out without plugs in...ouch.

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
I still shoot .22 rifle without worrying too much about hearing protection.......
Big mistake!! It's not only volume, but frequency. A .22lr, while lower in volume than a .45 and .357, is much higher in frequency and pitch. Thus the "sharp" sound. This can be just as harmful to your ears as a louder (higher pressure) sound. Problem is, the higher frequencies affect the shorter cilia (little hairs) in the ear, thus reducing your ability to hear higher frequencies. This is much less obvious since there are a lot more low and medium frequencies surrounding us. However, if you like, for example, classical music and want to hear violins - you'll find it much more difficult to hear the high freq's if you've had damage done to your ears in the high freq ranges (just call me Captain Obvious, right?). That's also one of the problems with the passive "plug in" style ear plugs. They do a relatively poor job of blocking the higher frequencies. Full ear covers, especially active electronic protection works best. The active muffs sample the incoming sounds and create a litteral mirror image - equal in freqency and amplitude but opposite in polarity, and use that to cancel out the incoming sound. Pretty sophisticated and expensive. For all intents and purposes, full cover ear protection probably serves to give you the best bang for the buck.

Hope this was not boring, and I also hope it helps out a little.

Reactions: bre346

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
If you have to use your gun without ear protection how many times can you fire it before it causes noticeable permanent hearing loss.
Firing a .357 Magnum revolver will shut off your ears and leave them ringing in the first shot. Do that for a few more shots and your ears can ring for months. Add in other loud things like music, clubs, concerts, sporting events, machinery, etc. and you will have very noticeable hearing loss in time.

Trying to decipher hearing the human language through background noise like TVs and other conversations is something I've been dealing with for about 5 years now due to the instances listed above. :p

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
Proximity to other shooters can also be a problem.
With both my daughter and I wearing hearing protection, I fired the first twn rounds through my brand new Ruger Mini-14. Loud, but not bad, I thought.
Then my daughter took her turn.
I swear the noise level doubled when I was beside the rifle rather than behind it.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
The range I frequent suggests ear plugs under earmuffs because of the louder sound created inside a building. The day after I picked up my WWI Colt 1911, I took two mags outside just to try it out and forget my ear protection. Twelve shots later, my right ear was ringing and continued for more than a week. Now, when I sneeze, that ear still hurts. I won't do that again.

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
The range I frequent suggests ear plugs under earmuffs because of the louder sound created inside a building.
That's what I have to do for indoor shooting ranges, too. If I only use ear muffs, I can hear the ear ringing creeping back in while shooting.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I received some ??? ear damage during WWII battles. I didn't pay much attention until my ears began ringing with tinnitus. I did notice a loss of high pitches and a gradual loss of understanding conversations. I could buy ten nice guns for the cost of the hearing aids I must wear now.

Yes, wear hearing protection every time. I believe the damage is cumulative.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
During field exercises while I was in the Army I always wore earplugs whenever possible. However, I wouldn't risk it in a real life situation. It's the same thing when I am hunting. I use a .50 cal muzzleloader, so if I can do so safely and it won't allow the deer to get away, I will wear earplugs. Why? Because after loud music in high school, and too many "loud noises" (!) during my 11B years, I need to protect the hearing I have left!

·
Registered
810 Posts
Vietnam days? rarely had ear plugs - now I always use plugs and muffs at the range. Some tinnitus.

Hearing loss is rarely a major concern in a combat situation - survival is.

Reactions: Brace_for_Impact

·
Registered
35 Posts
Lots of Rock and Roll concerts (Tip- don't sit right in front of the PA sytem at ZZ Top) and loud factories back when they thought OSHA was a little town in Wisconsin have taken a toll on my hearing and given me a good case of tinnitus besides. After a negligent discharge in the basement with my AK, my ears rang LOUD for about three weeks. When I'm at the range I wear plugs and muffs to keep what I have left. For anybody who isn't familar with tinnitus, it can be maddening at times, like trying to go to sleep when it's otherwise quiet.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Any exposure to firing ammunition can lead to hearing loss and it will be cumulative. I wear hearing protection every time I go shooting to protect my hearing. I have some documented hearing loss from my time in the US Navy due to sitting next to steam turbines so I want to preserve what is left. After I bought my 24/7 G2 in 40 I shot 5 rounds through it without protection to get a feel for what it would be like if I had to use it in self defense. My right ear range for 2 days. Never again unless it is actually in self defense, in that case slight hearing loss vs possible death is the better option.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I can relate to the damage done while shooting or attending concerts in the 70's. I just recently got over my vanity concerns (i'm an old guy now) and grew tired of not hearing conversations or tv well enough and now wear hearing aids. They have made a huge difference in my quality of life. I'm retired now and have great insurance because of my wife's state job. I was lucky enough to get a pair of $6000 aids at no cost to me. Trust me and protect what hearing you have.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I've often wondered that. You see soldiers on the battlefield all firing their M4's. Then you hear them yelling commands at each other, using radios, etc. I can't imagine being able to hear the guy next to you after just one or two rounds of 5.56 going off right next to you. Those birdcage flash hiders tend to throw a lot of the noise and cuncussion out to the sides. I asked my Marine buddy if they wear any kind of ear pro and he said no. I couldn't believe it. I realize you're not going to say, "hold on, I need to put in my earplugs." Plus I would imagine if you are out on patrol in a war you want to be able to hear any small noise that an enemy might make. However, I would think they would would be issued something they could wear while out on patrol that would allow them to hear, and protect them from loud noise.

I think most of us with half a brain prepare for shooting by wearing proper hearing protection, but in a self defense situation, you will not have time to do this. If you have to use your firearm indoors in a self defense situation, the noise will be much louder than outdoors. Based on the very noticeable difference between shooting at my local indoor range v. outdoor ranges, I would say if you are involved in a HD shooting situation, you will likely suffer some permanent hearing damage, if only marginal.

A quick google search produced this - Defensive shooting and hearing loss.

One of the interesting questions posed in this thread is, "If I'm in a home defense shooting, will I be able to hear police?" Things that make you go "hmmmmm..."

1 - 20 of 41 Posts