Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What things have you guys done to cut the light bill?

I had Solar Shades put in. I had to turn the AC up before the guy had even finished installing them all around the house. Summer bill went from 250-300 down to 150-200 in a 2500 sf house. We keep the house at 73 degrees in the summer too.

Compact Fluorescent Lights cut the bill by 25 bucks a month. When those burn out I'll get LEDs.

Any other ideas.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Most electronics are never really turned off, e.g., televisions, computers and monitors, printers, etc. Plug them into a surge protector or power strip and really turn them off when you turn them off.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Wrapped the water heater (in my crawl space) in insulation. Florescent bulbs. Have the thermostat set to 69° in winter and break out the blankets! It used to be set on 64° until my wife moved in :mad: and a extension cord running to the neighbors house! Lol

Creek

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
Not much, unless you want to count when I had the house, (2340 sqft. wood siding) completely bricked. In others words, I have a house inside a house; that took the energy bill way down, like from over $250.00 a month to an average of $189.00 per month. And that was with an addition added to the square footage as well. Now, the down side was the cost of all that, in excess of $50,000.00, so between that cost and energy cost, I am still in the red and will be for a long time. But, I refinanced the house and that brought the payments down, so on the output of money each month, I do have a break in monthly cash flow.:thumb:

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Installed solar tint on my house windows. Makes a huge difference in the summer by knocking down the heat and bright light, but so far in these gray skies of witer, hasn't seemed to hurt much.

Matter of fact, my heat pump has run less> I went with dark grey tint instead of silver mirror tint.

Two years ago, when my A/C died, I bought a heat pump instead of the same old electric furnace and A/C unit.

That along has made a big difference.

Instant on swirly bulbs all through the house

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
I follow my wife around, closing exterior doors and turning out lights.

I do that with my son. If I didn't learn anything else growing up...I learned how to turn off a light , close a door and put tools away after use.

·
Registered
8,797 Posts
CFL's; sealed/insulated light plugs/switches; door / window seals; reseal / rebuild as needed all attic ducting; new 15 SEER furnace/AC; computer remote thermostat I or the city can control; added insulation in attic; 68F winter 75-80F summer; thermal jacket for water heater; buy booze in 1.75L. If I were to turn off all electronics would probably save me $25-$30 a month, but since my bill averages $150 year round +/- won't do that until I absolutely have no choice.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
So far, those expensive long lasting light bulbs are a scam! I've several burn out!

I am energy conscience though, I turn off things not in use, lights, TV's etc....

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
I turned the temp down to 67-68, all electric home.
Last month electric bill was $157. this month $305 due to colder weather.
A space heater for the puppies room. It is an enclosed passage to the garage.
All CFL lighting except for a couple lights that use special bulbs.
May have to get a more efficient furnace/AC next summer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts